• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to properly remove windshield washer nozzles

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I can't figure out how to remove the windshield washer nozzles. :redface:

I think I can remove the washer fluid tube by pulling it out under the nozzle then I should be able to pop the nozzle off through the hood, however I was hoping for some confirmation or tips before I pull very hard on it! Below is what I found on pg 23-289 of the service manual:

jF8sm.png

Thanks as always for the help :smile:

Last edited:
It is difficult , I had succes by using a 1/4 drive dep socket (can't remember the size) - push it in from the bottom and it will compress the retaining clips !

Thanks for the info guys! I will try the socket method tonight. My biggest concern was breaking the hose pulling it off, but based on the diagram it should come off.

I pull off the hose and use a small flat blade screwdriver from the bottom to press the little snaps on the side of the nozzle that spread to hold it on the hood.

Thanks for the info guys! I will try the socket method tonight. My biggest concern was breaking the hose pulling it off, but based on the diagram it should come off.

just cut the hose

There is no need to cut the hose. The nozzle easily slides into an oversized funnel-shaped receiver under the hood. You can see it in the image on the far right diagram in your original post.

Did you ever got it off? I'm in the same situation, not able to get it off, if anyone know the trick can you please post it, it will be a real help for me, thanks.

Its easy but if you force it or wiggle it to much
( thats what She said ) lol
it can break the clips, if they are to old
( what year is your NSX)

but the socket thing will work as it will
press both clips at the same time,
and as the clips are pressed in press the
nozzle up it should clear the hood just
enough to reach around and pull it all the way out.

Its easy but if you force it or wiggle it to much
( thats what She said ) lol
it can break the clips, if they are to old
( what year is your NSX)

but the socket thing will work as it will
press both clips at the same time,
and as the clips are pressed in press the
nozzle up it should clear the hood just
enough to reach around and pull it all the way out.
Thanks Shawn, I just got them off, I used blue painters tape around the nozzle to protect the paint, then with 2 angle spatulas with also blue tape on their sharp edge I slided one in front of the nozzle and the other in the back, then I just pry ed it out very easy not effort what so ever, just did one side at the time and presto, thanks for the advice :biggrin:

It really is as easy as it looks. I used a small socket and didn't have any issues at all, it was just a little un-nerving how hard I had to pull on the rubber hose to get it off. That's what she said.

It really is as easy as it looks. I used a small socket and didn't have any issues at all, it was just a little un-nerving how hard I had to pull on the rubber hose to get it off. That's what she said.

+1 for socket method - I used both a 7mm and an 8mm socket (either fit thru the hole) and pushed on the socket and finally they popped out. This is probably easier to do with the hood off and lying face down (on a blanket of course!). Takes a couple of stabs at it but eventually it came out. For the socket I attached it to a screwdriver with a socket adapter so I could push straight down.

Thanks for the tips!

Will do this myself next weekend - my passenger side jets appear to be gunked up.

Any advice on a safe solvent to use to clean them out? Just soapy water - or something stronger?

^I usually used compressed air to blow backward through them to remove any gunk and debris. My work truck clogs them all the time, because the place that changes my oil uses some garbage washer fluid. I always forget to tell them to not add to it, but if they do, one will clog within a week or so.

There are two, one-way check valves in the system; one at each nozzle. They keep the fluid from running back to the reservoir after each use, draining the supply hoses. When I got my car I had no washer function that had been diagnosed as a bad pump at the PPI. In the end I discovered that the reservoir was so full of crap from lack of use that the entire system needed cleaning. I did not know about the in-line check valves so when it was all cleaned out I still had no washers. The check valves were rotted and would not let the fluid pass. That turned out to be an easy and cheap replacement. It was much easier to replace those clogged valves and they might be the culprit as opposed to clogged nozzles.

i'm installing a carbon fiber hood.... to get these windshield washer nozzles off my damn hood, to disconnect the tube from the bottom can I just pull hard??

Oh <k it,="" i="" managed="" to="" get="" the="" nozzles="" off...="" but="" broke="" every="" single="" fu<king="" tab="" that="" held="" tube="" in="" place...="" stupid="" sh!t.="" and="" hood="" isn't="" a="" great="" fit.="" oh="" fu<kin="" he11="" whatever<="" html=""></k>

- - - Updated - - -

oh well these fucking nozzles were a god damn pain in the ass! It actually wasn't so much the nozzles, it was those little damn clips that fasten the tube to the underside of the hood! I couldn't get ONE of them off clean... I just broke every fucking one of them! AND one of my hoses ripped! (as I was aggressively RIPPING one of the clips out). Fuck it, I don't use windshield washer fluid anyways so i'll just stick the nozzles on for show, and they won't even be connected underneath.

And let me ask you something... when I am putting the nozzles back ONTO the new hood... once I have those in place then I flip the hood over to stick those rubber L shaped tube-connector things in... how in gods name are we supposed to get that teeny tiny piece of rubber ring INTO the hole?!?!?!?!

Oh... and after all that... the VIS type-r hood fits like SHIT!

Last edited:
just adding to this old thread in case it can help other new members too, i can confirm that using a 7mm deep socket mated to a screwdriver handle w/adapter is SUPER EASY way to pop out the nozzles without any scratching of the hood. 8mm socket fit in driver side hole but wouldnt fit in my passenger-side hole, so using just a 7mm for both would be simpler. takes literally 2 seconds to pop out each one with this method.

as for removing the clips holding the fluid hoses, these were annoying as heck but not really "difficult" either. i used a large jeweler's screwdriver flathead and pushed in one side at a time while pulling the clip and they all pop out. probably took me about 1min on each clip just cuz it's awkward to see where the screwdriver head and hole is.

IMG_3909.jpg
I used a 1/4 socket (longer than normal) to push it out. just wiggle the socket around a little bit to push the tabs in. here's a picture of the nozzle popped out so you can see what you're trying to do with the socket. I unclogged the nozzles by blowing and pulling air through them with water. currently, the spray works when the hood is up, but not when the hood is down. guessing i have to clear the hoses next.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you have to remove the whole front bumper cover in order to access and check the wash fluid reservoir tank for leaks...to possibly replace it?

Back