• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For real? F1 is coming to Austin TX in 2012

Re: Good news, but it ain't in the bag yet

This came out of left field as it flies in the face of what was believed to be sacred criteria; big city, European traveller destination, etc. etc. But, good for Bernie to suggest that the good ole' heartland of the US can be interesting and cosmopolitan enough for the F-1 high brows.

I like it. I'll go to Austin whereas I would not have gone to New York.

Question is: what are the odds an all new track can get built in time for a 2012 opening? And what kind of flap will be in the news when strings are pulled to get this thing permitted and approved in time. I would think 18 months construction period is a minimum even with incentives and penalites. I don't know first hand about Texas, but in many states, getting permits to start moving dirt by the end of the year would be impossible. The environmental process purports to be "transparent" and while that is not actually very true, the whole thing is complicated enough that it's easy for opponents to slow it down/drag it out.

If they had started on the permiiting process long ago, this news would not be a surprise. I have my doubts about 2012. This could be another on-again/off-again deal like Silverstone.

But it could get there if Bernie has the patience and lives long enough.

This came out of left field as it flies in the face of what was believed to be sacred criteria; big city, European traveller destination, etc. etc. But, good for Bernie to suggest that the good ole' heartland of the US can be interesting and cosmopolitan enough for the F-1 high brows.

Question is: what are the odds an all new track can get built in time for a 2012 opening? And what kind of flap will be in the news when strings are pulled to get this thing permitted and approved in time. I would think 18 months construction period is a minimum even with incentives and penalites. I don't know first hand about Texas, but in many states, getting permits to start moving dirt by the end of the year would be impossible. The environmental process purports to be "transparent" and while that is not actually very true, the whole thing is complicated enough that it's easy for opponents to slow it down/drag it out.

If they had started on the permiiting process long ago, this news would not be a surprise. I have my doubts about 2012. This could be another on-again/off-again deal like Silverstone.

I agree that time frame is tight, but hey it's Texas. If something needs to be built or drilled, it happens.

I would have preferred a West Coast venue, but any USGP is better than nothing. I too would rather go to Texas than NY. Just hope it's not another USF1 type deal.

Texas is a state with far less red tape. Once the palms of the railroad commissioners are greased, asphalt and stands can be poured. If Jerry Jones is involved, the politicians are already paid and construction will start immediately.:biggrin:

Miner

Re: Texas, yep...........different for sure

but hey it's Texas
Texas is a state with far less red tape.
Talking to our financial advisor last week, he told us, if we're gonna flee California again, look at Idaho or Texas. :cool:

I'll be following this story with interest. :wink:

Now the not-so-good news. I sure hope it's a better design then his last few boring tracks.

Feff

Tilke To Design New Austin Circuit

By Jonathan Noble
Thursday, May 27th 2010, 07:55 GMT

The new Austin Formula 1 track, which will host the American Grand Prix from 2012, is to be designed by Hermann Tilke, race organisers have announced.

Shortly after revealing its 10-year deal to hold the US event, Austin race promoters Full Throttle Productions have now earmarked a site for the circuit and confirmed that Tilke will be involved.

The exact location of the venue has not been disclosed, but Tavo Hellmund, managing partner of Full Throttle Productions, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press that its was 'more than 700 acres.'

Hellmund also ended speculation about who would design the track by confirming that F1 regular Tilke, the man behind track designs at Istanbul, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Shanghai, and Sepang, will be involved.

Race promoters said the track would be "one of the finest permanent road course facilities in the world. Fans should expect the craftsmanship Tilke is famous for, with a priority placed on green building and a track similar to the great grand prix tracks of previous generations."

I think anyplace would be an improvement over Indy. :frown: That track just had no character whatsover as far as F1 cars goes. Glad they dumped it from the calender.

Being a west coast guy. I would have sort of liked them to at least considered Laguna Seca. It's world famous and they already run the F1 bikes there, so why not dump the money into accomodating the cars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bWOdY6mbU

Even though it'll never happen, bringing F1 back to the streets of Long Beach would be awesome. Just dump the IRL race that runs there now, or just keep it and schedule the F1 race for late in the season. There's nothing quite like listening to the noise of an F1 car's engine echoing off the sides of the buildings on Ocean Blvd.!:smile:

Even though it'll never happen, bringing F1 back to the streets of Long Beach would be awesome. Just dump the IRL race that runs there now, or just keep it and schedule the F1 race for late in the season. There's nothing quite like listening to the noise of an F1 car's engine echoing off the sides of the buildings on Ocean Blvd.!:smile:

Ah yes, that Californian mentality that epitomizes that the universe rotates around the west bay and that a road trip should never last longer than 6 hours....:rolleyes:

While I understand your wants, you are missing the point that today's F1 requires things like "new tracks, top tier grandstands and local opulence for the travelers to enjoy." And what Texas will offer is cheap dirt! Bernie wants his playground, but he is still a frugal son of a bitch. He will expect the local 1000 acres of land to center on his empire. Then, he may walk away within 5 years if he doesn't like the results. It's as risky as hosting the Olympics.

Re: Yeah, time to cool our jets

Bernie wants his playground, but he is still a frugal son of a bitch. He will expect the local 1000 acres of land to center on his empire. Then, he may walk away within 5 years if he doesn't like the results. It's as risky as hosting the Olympics.
As much as I'd love to be booking a trip to Austin in 2012, this deal is not done by a long shot. An agreement means nothing to Bernie since there are so many devils in the details, he knows he can manipulate the deal any which way he wants. :mad:

And, realistically, until they kill all the lawyers in Texas, it aint' getting built before 2016. :frown:

Ah yes, that Californian mentality that epitomizes that the universe rotates around the west bay and that a road trip should never last longer than 6 hours....:rolleyes:

While I understand your wants, you are missing the point that today's F1 requires things like "new tracks, top tier grandstands and local opulence for the travelers to enjoy." And what Texas will offer is cheap dirt! Bernie wants his playground, but he is still a frugal son of a bitch. He will expect the local 1000 acres of land to center on his empire. Then, he may walk away within 5 years if he doesn't like the results. It's as risky as hosting the Olympics.

Your words...not mine. :rolleyes: The last time I checked, flights from the bay area to Indianapolis and Silverstone, which I have both attended, are longer than 6 hours. :rolleyes:

Again...your words and not mine. :rolleyes: What are you talking about??? :confused: Where in my post did I once even mention "Texas"? Go back and read the entire reply. All I'm implying is that a world class race venue already exists in duhhhh...CALIFORNIA. Seems like you are the only one missing the point. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
See the Official 2010 F1 thread.

Last edited:
Re: Hmmmmm how's this for speculation?

So the race will be a few miles from the airport, nice!
What airport? A GA airport?

This article shows a Thunderhill Raceway which someone said is just north of San Marcos Municipal Airport - 15/20 miles S of Austin. This it? Looks about as inviting and well developed as our own Thunderhill Raceway in booming Willows CA. :tongue:

We've already got the permitting for utilities, .........

isn't it amazing how simple and easy things sound when a PR man is talking? And he says he doesn't have a $ billion. Public mistake #1. :redface:

Bernie's got the New Jersey and Monticello folks right where he wants them, working overtime now. :rolleyes:

I have a hard time believing ANYTHING Coming out of Bernie's mouth.

Which track in New Jersey would they use?

Re: Talking heads..........means nothing

I want this to happen, but lessee...............right now, I give it a 40 % chance for 2016. :smile:

judging by your recent contribution to the hottest girl thread zuerst I hear they will be bringing back umbrella boys:tongue:

I'm a BIT more optimistic after finding there is a site. Still don't trust Bernie though.

Re: still skeptical

Still don't trust Bernie though.

Stop me if you've heard this before but Bernie's not the culprit; he is merely standing by passively to see who shows up with the best deal for him.

The real obstacles to this project are all the other players who have no personal interest or limited vesting in seeing this project go: They are the lawyers (for the local activists and residents), environmentalists (probably the Feds more than state and local), distant investors and the other permitting/processing/approvals people who have to be managed, cajoled, and/or bribed. In short, there are boatloads of people who care more about limiting risk, their careers or "their neighborhood" than one single project, no matter the size. :frown:

Yeah, yeah, I agree that 1) Texas may be different from CA, and 2) the local zoning planners and plan reviewers can be bought, BUT Texas lawyers are still lawyers and the Fed environmentalists are not Texans. And that's assuming that money is no object, which is no longer a given in this economy, even in F-1. Still plenty of details for the devil to be hiding in.

JMHO.

Back