• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Top Speed Header Problem

Hello everyone
I purchased a set of top speed headers here on prime and just wondering if any one has had any issues with fitment. The front bank header hits the h-frame and there for i had to grind the lip of the h-frame/cross member off to for the header to fit with everything else. I can see that the one pipe sticks out causing this problem, that pipe is also dangerously close to my shifter cables.

After it was too late i realized i should have paid for a better name brand set and not had this problem.

It was defiantly understandable that i had to notch out a section of the crossmember on my 91 integra but my nsx? :confused:?:confused:?:confused:?:confused:

Im just wondering is anyone has had any issues like this with their top speed headers, or did i just get a defective set?

I will try to take pics when i get it back up on the hoist.

Last edited:
Here're some pics posted on prime a while back:
n690446223_1871613_9698.jpg

n690446223_1871612_9306.jpg

n690446223_1871611_8920.jpg

(not mine).

I have the same headers and have been very pleased with them. Fitment was bang on. One of the best bang for the buck mods I ever did. I just added Prospeed cats and the sound is addictive. :confused:

Last edited:
it seems as though you ran into the typical topspeed headers from version 1 ..i think they corrected the issue with their 2nd batch..if you search for top speed headers u will find the problem listed in the past..i too have TopSpeed headers, luckily mine fit just fine..but, then i had the other notorious header leak from one of the pipe meeting up with the collector..well known issue, one of the runner tube didn't get welded up all the way, so the inner section were leaking bad..
here is a pic:
crack2.jpg

starts from bottom and leak inside and up toward the top..so about 1/2in in length of the crack.

might want to check yours for this too..otherwise, it's a good pair headers..seems to compliment my exhaust pretty good..

My TopSpeed headers fit perfectly and installed without a hitch. I have about 20,000 miles on them, and the flex joints and everything else is performing as designed.

For $515.00 delivered to my door, I am a very happy camper.

thanks for some of the feed back guys,
I wish the guy that sold it to me would have known that they were version 1 headers, because I bought them used so the previous owner would have known that they don't fit properly. I probably should have bought them off of ebay and pay the extra $100 or gotten a better name brand to save my h-frame and shifter cables.

Last edited:
Actually I did not have any report of the headers not fitting the previous car , I did not do the install but you would think the headers would have a rub mark or something if they had contact with the car. As far as the shifter cables touching the headers , I cannot even see how that could happen, please post pics.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow, since i have to replace a brand new defective o2 sensor on my car.
BTW does anyone know where i can get a heat shield wrap for the cables or exhaust wrap for that section of header.

I recently got the same problem with some gaps with a brand new set of Top Speed headers which I purchase them from a eBay member which guaranteed fitment and quality. Sad thing is that this happen 3 or 4 months before the installation so I had to accept that there is no returns since PayPal can cover the purchase for 45 days only.
I had to grind the cross bar for a half inch or so to make this work and to alight the motor mount holes. I also had to resurface the flanges and grind the top inlets since there were a lot of weld drops.
Final: if you want to save some $$$ prepare for unwanted issues :frown:

DSC00786.JPG

DSC00784.JPG

DSC00785.JPG

Last edited:
To me it looks like your problem could possibly be solved by adjusting the front and rear motor mounts (they are slotted)

I have seen worse but I am not denying the fitment is hit and miss.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow, since i have to replace a brand new defective o2 sensor on my car.
BTW does anyone know where i can get a heat shield wrap for the cables or exhaust wrap for that section of header.

You need to post pics of the cables near the header , I suspect there is some reason why they are touching , they are not even anywhere near the headers normally.

In my experience, the header on the front bank did indeed come in contact with the cross member. The bend in the middle runner barely touched the edge of the cross member. I removed the cross member and grinded it down about a half inch with my dremel and smoothed things out.

Wasn't exactly a big deal for me. After 3k miles I lifted the car, and pulled the cross member out just to make sure all the bolts were still within torque specs. No cracks, rusting, etc. This would be considered a small glitch in my personal experience. Still decent headers for the money.

To me it looks like your problem could possibly be solved by adjusting the front and rear motor mounts (they are slotted)

I have seen worse but I am not denying the fitment is hit and miss.

My previous picture was with the front and rear engine mounts totally free, with removed center bolts. I had to push the whole engine backward just to put the cross beam on, than grind the beam to make a space to alight the holes. Here is the picture with grind-ed cross beam and engine mounts on, tighten on the top position...almost half pipe has entered in the beam

DSC00794.JPG

Well here are some quick photos that i had taken today sorry about some of the fizzy pics my i only had my phone handy. i will look into the motor mount adjustment, you can see where i had a temporary cable tie holding the shifter cables together so they wont heat up

Attachments

• IMG00002-20100603-2001.jpg
    IMG00002-20100603-2001.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG00004-20100603-2001.jpg
    IMG00004-20100603-2001.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG00005-20100603-2002.jpg
    IMG00005-20100603-2002.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG00006-20100603-2002.jpg
    IMG00006-20100603-2002.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
wowzzer.. talk about some major cutting there..i don't know how i would feel about cutting into the car like that...yike!!

i know how you feel about how the previous owner didn't tell you about fitment issue..i also bought mine used and the seller told me everything is fine..he had it on the car but some how left the part out about the leaking issue..told me warranty still good and everything..tried to work it out through pm, keep saying he'll "try" to help me resolve problem but it's all lies..

anyway, excuse my ranting there..sorry, didn't mean to steer away from topic..everything is fixed now and all is good..

hope you don't run into any more issue with the headers..

Same here !!! I Had to cut the beam for the header to fit.

And also had to grind some pins on the A/C compressor :confused:
I don't like things touching each other with possible rattling
consequences...

The rear header was no fitting problem !

I have to add that I'm running an AEM EMS with UEGO so I don't need the o2 sensors at all in my headers (my shop weld them closed), not sure if that makes a difference at all in fitment. I've had my headers on for 2 years now. The car doesn't see much milege but it does go to the track where it's driven HARD with a supercharger, and so far its held up remarkably. I just had her on the hoist last week and had a good long look and they appear perfect.

^^^ i guess i was stating on my own behalf...there are some TS headers with these problem and there are more other without problem..decent price and what not..i don't see mine being a major problem as of the OP's..mine were easy fix..

You need to post pics of the cables near the header , I suspect there is some reason why they are touching , they are not even anywhere near the headers normally.

Pics posted, Any ideas on how the headers are so close to the cables?

Here are mine :
Pict1.jpg

Are yours correctly attached the the "H" center rod ?
Pict3.jpg

And what I cut :redface:
Pict2.jpg

It seems like it was welded by someone to prevent it from cracking.

I have a set of Top speed headers on my car and had no issues on fitment what so ever. It sucks that the version 1 is still out there. I guess if anyone wants a set of these headers make sure you are buying from some one that is willing to work with you if you and get you the version 2.

Trying to fit my TS headers tonight, front pipe hits crossmember also. Tried for bit then did a search to see if it's common. Guess it is. I'll call TS and see what they say.

Back