• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000/RSX Steering Wheel Adaptors

Status
Not open for further replies.
07-29-2010 All sold out for now. If anybody requires any more then please PM me first. Don't send money blindly before confirmation of future availability

New list started on 8-1-10 for potential second batch of wheel adaptors. Let me know if you would like too be added. Payment would need to be in advance at the time production begins

1. Enigma

EDIT: I thought I should add this explanation for those that may not be aware.....

The whole reason for this adaptor and SoS hub is that the S2000 & RSX wheels splined centre is larger in diameter to the NSX wheel so it is not a direct fit onto the NSX steering column. The other problem is that S2000 wheel is of a shallower dish (spacing out from the steering column) so even if the splines did match the wheel itself would be too far away from the driver....

The following details are all based on the use of a Science of Speed “Rapid” short hub.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/steering_hub/short_hub/

Other hub/bosses may use the same dimensions and be suitable but the SoS item is easy to acquire quickly and allows for using the SRS cable reel which is what I wanted, to retain the cruise and airbag.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p
For some time I’d thought of the popular idea of fitting the S2000 wheel to the NSX. I observed a few different methods on NSXPRIME for fitting and decided it was time to do the mod myself.
One of the methods I’d seen involved cutting off the splined shaft of the S2000 wheel to give clearance from the steering column and locknut. I thought this was wasteful as the wheel will be no good later to re-fit to an S2000 or any other car such as the Civic where these guys also do these mods.
The second method saves wrecking the wheel by using a ~12mm spacer which allows clearance. This method allows the fitting of the whole wheel but I thought it wasn’t 100% safe.
If you look at the picture below the spacer has no centering to the splined shaft. Bearing in mind that the wheel is only attached to the boss (which is fitted to the steering column) with four M4 x 45mm bolts which are in themselves very thin in section and long you are relying on only these bolts to remain tight AND to be resistant to any shear load. The rotational load through the wheel (especially with non EPS cars) is causing a constant twisting/”swaying” of these four long thin bolts. Not only that but fitting the bolts requires enlarging the four holes in the wheel casting to allow it to be attached to the hub. The four holes were never designed as a fixing hole and as standard they do not all line up with any available hub commercially available. This enlarging of the holes means the bolts could experience play towards the top.
I considered this was unsafe and was very concerned when I first fitted the wheel and drove my car that these bolts could be overstressed and cause a catastrophic failure. Especially with any strong steering kickback on rough roads are just driving on twisting roads. The end result is easy to imagine!!
135-3567_IMG.jpg

Due to this worry I removed the S2000 wheel and set about designing a safer way to use it on the NSX…..
The conclusion I came to was as follows. The risk of shear load on the four attachment bolts needs to be removed completely to safely attach the S2000 wheel…..The four bolts must only be used in compression ie holding down the wheel which is what a bolt should do…..
I have designed a boss adaptor to allow the safe fitting and it incorporates the 12mm spacing required
The first step was to center the wheel with the hub so that there could be no sideways/up-down movement and no “swaying” of the bolts….Like a tall sky-scaper in the wind. To do this the adaptor is sleeved into the SoS hub matching the diameter of the hub and the adaptor as below. The cut-out is to pass the cable reel connectors and wires through.

135-3560_IMG.jpg

135-3559_IMG.jpg

Once the adaptor is sleeved into the hub it is independently locked in place with three allen head bolts like those used on any aftermarket wheel. The upper bolt holes couldn’t be used due to the slot dimension required for the yellow connectors to pass through…

135-3574_IMG.jpg

135-3575_IMG.jpg

Once attached the adaptor is fixed and locked to the SoS hub and it will be the adaptor that “rotates” the hub.
Now lets look at the back of the S2000 wheel….

135-3556_IMG.jpg

You can see that it has a large hole either side of the shaft. This is a tapered cast “draw” of about 10.5-11mm. It is very easy to lightly drill this out to a uniform 12mm diameter and a depth of 14mm. What I did was use these two holes as the drive points to take care of the rotational force of turning the wheel independent of applying this force through the four long bolts….This force is then applied through to the hub.
The side of the adaptor facing towards the driver and wheel has two pegs protruding that locate into the holes on the wheel. You’ll also notice there are four smaller posts as well. These are simple integrated spacer for the four recesses behind the bolt holes to spread the load evenly when everything is bolted down.

135-3561_IMG.jpg

You’ll also see that the wheels centre shaft is now centered through the adaptor as well and that the diameter of the adaptor matches perfectly the plastic of the wheel.
The side of the adaptor that meets the SoS hub is also chambfered for a good match

135-3563_IMG.jpg

135-3554_IMG.jpg

Below hub & adaptor all bolted up with SRS wiring passed through the custom slot…

135-3576_IMG.jpg

And the S2000 wheel fitted…..

135-3578_IMG.jpg

The thin metal plate you see at the top is part of the horn metal-work. I decided to cut at either end to make sure there is no interference with the cable reel wires.
The hooking up of the airbag is up to the owner but I did mine by swapping the connector plug of the S2000 airbag with the NSX type which you can find on an early to mid 90’s Honda at the breakers…The SRS light comes on when you switch the ignition and extinguishes again after a few seconds as per normal.

135-3579_IMG.jpg

Once I had my idea, measurements and a drawing I had to get the part made. The machine shop weren't willing to halt their CNC machine and produce only one part so in the end I had to have a small batch made in order to get my own piece!
So now have available “machined from solid billet T6061 aluminum” boss/wheel adaptors black anodised. These are a machined piece made in one continual operation.

135-3569_IMG.jpg

I am offering these at $120 shipped inc. Paypal fee.
They are all individually bagged and I’m including the wiring instructions to hook up the cruise control buttons on an S2000 AP1 steering wheel.
Using one of these bosses will ensure that your wheel doesn’t snap off unexpectedly when the bolts could be shear overloaded….
If you are interested then PM me and/or paypal me at [email protected]

Below are the parts used including the SOS hub

135-3570_IMG.jpg

Stay safe,<O:p</O:p
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><ST1:p</st1:City>
<st1:City>Gary</ST1:p</st1:City><O:p</O:p

Hagasan

96 NSX-T

See my NSXPrime vendor page; http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Hagasan

Last edited:
Hey, that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

-- Chris

Thanks Chris. It's the first thing I've ever sat down and thought about designing!! I'm quite pleased with the end result. Have you sold any hubs for this mod as I've sold a few adaptors...Guess they should be coming your way...:smile:

Bump (can you do this in the vendor section? Hope that's ok, Mods please advise if not..

Hi Frank,

I can't access Prime when at work so couldn't reply earlier and please remember the time difference too. I've now sent you a PM and will ship the adaptor out first thing Friday morning, my 9am, your 4am :)

Many Thanks,

Gary

Gary whats the deal?? Did you send out the part. Funds went to you this morning. Frank

Gary, just read your pm. Thanks. Yeah I have the steering wheel and adapter already. Can't wait for the install. It will look like the Mugen nsx-rr but no suede its all leather with carbon on the top and bottom, and carbon on the steering wheel. Frank

No problem Frank. I shipped the adaptor out to you yesterday.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary, just read your pm. Thanks. Yeah I have the steering wheel and adapter already. Can't wait for the install. It will look like the Mugen nsx-rr but no suede its all leather with carbon on the top and bottom, and carbon on the steering wheel. Frank

Hi Pete,

yes the adaptor will work with the AP2 wheel. The metalwork casting is the same, just cosmetically different in leather detail. I'm not 100% but the later wheels started to have dual-stage airbags at some point as well...

Regards,

Gary

Gary,

Does this work for the AP2 steering wheel as well? I will probably be picking one up from a friend of mine within the next two weeks.

-Pete

Hi Pete,

yes the adaptor will work with the AP2 wheel. The metalwork casting is the same, just cosmetically different in leather detail. I'm not 100% but the later wheels started to have dual-stage airbags at some point as well...

Regards,

Gary

I knew they had the dual stage airbag, which isn't really an issue for me because , to be honest, I planned on disconnecting the airbag either way. Are you planning on putting anymore of these into production?

I knew they had the dual stage airbag, which isn't really an issue for me because , to be honest, I planned on disconnecting the airbag either way. Are you planning on putting anymore of these into production?

Yes more can be made but I just need to get some numbers built up of prospective buyers to make it economical and cheap enough for everyone..

I started a list (placed on first post), I'll put you on it. Just let me know if you want to be removed. I would need to receive payment up front to get these produced again though...

Interested in one. Sign me up..hopefully it'll come soon :)

Frank can you post a picture of the wheel you are using?

So single stage airbags supposedly work with this?

OK People if there is sufficient demand for these I will get another batch made. I really need 10 people for it to be cost effective/affordable.

Please put you name on a new list and we'll see where it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back