• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bringing Taitec Center Exit Exhaust back to Life

found a great deal on a used taitec center exit exhaust recently. Looked pretty horrible when i first saw pics of it but thought it had potential. Spent a couple weeks polishing it in my spare time using various 1000-2000 grit sandpaper, mother's powermetal scratch removing polish, powermetal polish (liquid), mother's md, cone and mini powerball. I was pretty amazed at the results but definitely do not want to do it again. :shock: :)

Before:

314yqu0.jpg

ileiiv.jpg

After
ip5aw7.jpg

spuirt.jpg

Huge amount of work - I can appreciate that. Is that plated or did you polish stainless steel to that finish? What a gorgeous result though. Now let's hear what it sounds like.

Huge amount of work - I can appreciate that. Is that plated or did you polish stainless steel to that finish? What a gorgeous result though. Now let's hear what it sounds like.

all i did was polish the crap out of it, not sure if its plated from the factory? I don't think it is though. Looking at pics of new taitec exhausts seems like only the tips are polished as the piping has more of a matte satin look.

It's a piece of art! Almost a shame to hide it under the car.

nice, you better hang that exhaust on the wall because they will looks the same after a few thousand miles of used.

It's a piece of art! Almost a shame to hide it under the car.

All the more reason to have his open taitec open rear diffuser!

Here's mine afte 2 years of heavy use:
25098_430257221223_690446223_5749715_7985089_n.jpg

In dental school we'd call that a "make it shine and get a nine." Of course, getting a nine was the highest grade possible when working with gold. :biggrin:

Very nice work! Now pm me your address so I can drop my GTLW off to you for polishing...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

In dental school we'd call that a "make it shine and get a nine." Of course, getting a nine was the highest grade possible when working with gold. :biggrin:

Hahah, we had the same phrase in dental school. BU eh? Northwestern here. :)

Looks damn amazing, I'm tempted to do the same... but damn, those Mother's balls are expensive, $25+ for one foam rubber ball? I figure it's going to cost $100 to duplicate the materials you used give or take a few $$. How do the Mother's balls :wink: hold up and do you think they're any better than a wheel? And the big question: how does the exhaust look now, after five month of driving? Worth the effort?

The condition of the exhaust is still the same as 5 months ago, polished metal holds up better to the elements because the surface is harder for particles to cling onto and tarnish/oxidize. I also have been wiping any spots i can get to with metal sealant about once every couple months, not sure how much it helps but i think just keeping the surface clean makes the biggest difference. I know that being in southern california with our mild weather and not taking the car out in the rain is a big factor as well. Hope this helps :smile:

9s86q8.jpg

1h5js4.jpg

Love it...love it...love it. I usually do this with my exhaust every winter.

Back