• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lightweight battery, odyssey, braille, etc. Information:

I have spent close to 8 hours researching batteries, and wanted to share much of what I found, which is not always clear on previous threads. I am sure some will disagree with some of my statements, I am not saying any of this is 100% fact but I have read A TON on this subject before coming to these conclusions. These are random:

1) You can get away with a very lightweight low power battery in the NSX if you don't have a lot of aftermarket stuff, drive your car frequently, and don't live in a severly cold climate. You can save around 15-20 pounds of weight instantly by changing the battery.

2) The battery world is a big scam. There are a handful of battery manufacturers, everyone buys from them, then re-badges and sells for whatever they want. The specs are manipulated wildly at times, there is no real standard. Many companies have multiple websites and multiple names for the same battery (and multiple prices).

3) The two best known brands: Braille and Odyssey... at this point, I really feel braille is severely overpriced. They are made by Deka, rebranded and sold for A LOT MORE. All manufacturers say that their "internals" are different, but I have seen some internals and they look identical to me. Believe what you want. Deka also makes "Big Crank". Both Big Crank and Deka can be had for a lot less than the matching Brailles. The Dekas are sold under many other names as well. Braille lists PULSE CCA's on their website... this is a bullshit term. You have to read their CCA's.

4) Odyssey is made by Enersys. Enersys sells the same battery under the "hawker energy Genesis" brand for less money. A lot of performance shops sell DynaBat which is purchased from Hawker and sold for more money. These are all enersys batteries.

5) Odyssey terminology... the batteries can be bought in various iterations. For example PC680, PC680MJ, PC680MJT. Same battery. MJ stands for Metal Jacket. T refers to the top post. You can adapt a standard 680 by buying an SAE post. The metal jacket is to protect the battery, not to protect the environment the battery is in. One of the main culprits in killing battery performance (like radiator performance) is heat. The MJ units keep more heat away from the internals. In a mid-engine car, this is not so much an issue. Just as the NSX radiator stays cool, so does the battery. I don't feel the MJ is necessary, but some may disagree and can chime in.

6) The performance of these batteries can be had for as little as $25 using UPS batteries. I saw many accounts of various racing forums of people using these, but they do not take vibration as well. Here is a battery that will crank over your NSX just fine at $25:

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-20ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery-3.html

I'm not recommending this, but just showing what a $300 battery has internaly is not all that different. Battery basics are the same, there is a lot of marketing involved. I am thinking its the same with Duracell and Energizer. I don't think there is magic inside.

7) Big Crank (Deka) has some models listed standard, and "L". EXT15, or 15L. The "L" refers to a reversal of the polarity. Look at the pictures and select the correct one.

8) Another couple of options are Yuasa and Gruber Power, these will work with the right adaptor post and are very reasonably priced:

http://www.gruberpower.com/gruberpower/advertising/Batteries/motorcyclebatteries/

A pretty informative article here, at least look at the pics, it is funny the resemblence:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dynabatt.htm#g16ep

I just wanted to provide info of what I have found. Right now I am leaning toward getting a Big Crank EXT15L to save some weight.

I looked into making your own batteries (especially with lithium cells). I was not able to come up with anything really cost effective, but can tell you for sure that $1995 for a Braille is making the CEO a lot of money.

If anyone wants to add to this thread, please do.

Last edited:
Good information source. :D

I'm looking at loosing some weight, done lots of searches i can find lots of people fitting batteries mainly from Dali the Odyssey 680 and 545.

However there isnt much info on how they get on with their smaller batteries.

I don't drive mine during the week and only comes out weekends, weather pending. I also have an alarm constantly running.

How are people getting on with their batteries?

How often does the car get driven?

How well does the battery turn over the car after sitting for a week or two? How long would it take to charge on a drive?

Yup, good information. BTW...

5) Odyssey terminology... the batteries can be bought in various iterations. For example PC680, PC680MJ, PC680MJT. Same battery. MJ stands for Metal Jacket. T refers to the top post. You can adapt a standard 680 by buying an SAE post. The metal jacket is to protect the battery, not to protect the environment the battery is in. One of the main culprits in killing battery performance (like radiator performance) is heat. The MJ units keep more heat away from the internals. In a mid-engine car, this is not so much an issue. Just as the NSX radiator stays cool, so does the battery. I don't feel the MJ is necessary, but some may disagree and can chime in.
Can I chime in if I agree? :smile: The metal jacket is primarily for cars in which the battery is located near a major heat source like an exhaust manifold. Obviously this is not the case with the NSX, so there is no need for the metal jacket version.

I've got the PC925T in my NSX (which is usually connected to an Odyssey battery charger). I've found the best prices on Odyssey batteries (as well as great customer service) from Portable Power Systems. Note that in some cases on their website you have to add the item to the cart to see the actual purchase price (which is lower than the one on some of their web pages).

Last edited:
Yup, good information. BTW...

Can I chime in if I agree? :smile: The metal jacket is primarily for cars in which the battery is located near a major heat source like an exhaust manifold. Obviously this is not the case with the NSX, so there is no need for the metal jacket version.

The website (I cant remember 3 years ago) I found the best price on PC925 sold the MJT for the same price. I figured it couldn't hurt so thats what I got.
I have to keep a trickle charger on it when it sits but other then that, It powers my HIDs, high power stereo and all extra bits with no issues. I guess you could shave a few grams by getting the non MJT.

I got tired of blowing through high dollar light weight batteries in my old RX7. Ended up using a lawnmower battery with shockingly good results :eek:

Wow resurrected from the dead. I forgot my own info!

Going to give a Braille 2015 a try :D

Has little more juice than the Odyssey 685. Hopefully be enough to start me after a week of sitting.

How long does it take to fully charge the battery from near flat using the alternator?

Basically, i dont want to start the car after a week hopefully having enough to start it then not charging up enough going to a gas station and starting again.

No comments on Optima Batteries?

Billy these aren't really lightweight... I was concentrating on lightweight battery research.

The Braille batteries are made by Deka with a Braille sticker and another $75 added to the price. :biggrin: The Deka XL16 is the same as the Braille 2015.

LOL... I know I write this whole post about how braille is a waste of money and he says he is getting a braille.

I am using the odyssey battery, awesome little unit, I bought the bracket from Daliracing.com .. fit perfect, no issues, I even waited 1 week before starting the car, fired up without a problem.. should have done this yeaaaaars ago...

I bought my car and it had a "Honda Battery" in it so i imagine whatever the dealer picks up. It went bad and woulden't hold charge for more then a couple days. I thru in a 8yr old yellow top optima i had laying around and didnt use for past 6 years. I jump started the car to charge the battery and never had an issue since. I would like to have a lighter one but would rather lighten up the rear of the car as much first before i do anything to the front.

I have a Braille 2015 Carbon and it's awesome.

Stock battery and bracket 16.6 kg

Braille with bracket 7.2kg.

Yes KG i am from the UK afterall ;)

It has more cranking amps than the oem battery and also has a 20 min reserve.

I have been carrying around jump leads in the boot incase but not needed them.

It also only gets driven weekends and starts first time with no strugle from the battery are sitting a week. Can i go two weeks without driving it for a test?

Also, when i bought the battery i had it sitting around for a month before fitting, fitted it and started with no jump needed, yes it sat for a month however there was nothing connected which makes a difference apparently.

I have a Braille 2015 and aluminum bracket and I love them. The battery was only C$170 (just a bit more than the 40lb+ OEM battery but at 15 lbs, it rocks) and the Braille bracket was C$89 (more than half the price of the battery - ouch).

Had I known about Deka batteries and that they are the same as the Braille, I would have bought one of them as the Cdn distributor is close to Vancouver.

I don't see any sellers of hawker energy Genesis batties....

I'm looking for a PC680 or matching...

Here is some additional information I pilfered from another site. My battery is going dead (7 years old) so I am replacing with Duralast 8AMU1R ($104.99 8yr warranty) at Autozone or Interestate 51r for $102.00. Both weigh 25lbs.
I also thought about the Deka ETX30 but my dealer is 70 miles away and it's an absorbed glass matt which I have no experience with.

Stay away from Odyssey 680 as everyone on other forums ends up with dead batteries if the temp drops below freezing or you leave the car for more than 2 weeks. You could however use the 680 on the track to save weight.

By Brand:
Braille**:
Braille B3121 ----------CCA: 550 ---- weight: 21lb ---------------- CA: 742
Braille B2015 ----------CCA: 425 ---- weight: 15lb ---------------- CA: 574
Braille B14115 ---------CCA: 360 ---- weight: 11lb,8oz ------------ CA: 486
Braille B106 -----------CCA: 210 ---- weight: 6lb,6oz ------------- CA: 283
Westco:
Westco Miata ---------CCA: 475 ---- weight: 25lb
Deka:
Deka ETX30 -----------CCA: 370 ---- weight: 21.7lb
Deka ETX20 -----------CCA: 270 ---- weight: 15.5lb
Deka ETX18 -----------CCA: 300 ---- weight: 18lb
Deka ETX16 -----------CCA: 275 ---- weight: 17lb
Deka ETX14 -----------CCA: 200 ---- weight: 12lb
Deka ETX12 -----------CCA: 180 ---- weight: 9.4lb
Deka ETX9 -----------CCA: 120 ---- weight: 6.3lb
Odyssey:
Odyssey PC680 --------CCA: 220 --- weight: 15lb / 16lb For MJT*
Odyssey PC925/MJT ---CCA: 380 --- weight: 24lb / 26lb For MJT*
Optima:
Optima 34&34R --------CCA 800 -----weight: 37.9lb --------------- CA: 1000
Optima 37/78 ----------CCA 800 ---- weight: 38.8lb --------------- CA: 1000
Optima 75/25 ----------CCA 720 ---- weight: 33.1lb --------------- CA: 910
Optima 25&35 ---------CCA 720 ----- weight: 31.7lb --------------- CA: 910
Duralast:
Duralast 8AMU1R ------CCA: 330 ---- weight: 25lb
Marathon:
Marathon MAR-8AMU1R-CCA: 320 ---- weight: 25lb

By CCA:
Optima 34&34R --------CCA 800 -----weight: 37.9lb -------------- CA: 1000
Optima 37/78 ----------CCA 800 ---- weight: 38.8lb -------------- CA: 1000
Optima 75/25 ----------CCA 720 ---- weight: 33.1lb -------------- CA: 910
Optima 25&35 ---------CCA 720 ----- weight: 31.7lb -------------- CA: 910
Odyssey PC925/MJT ---CCA: 380 ---- weight: 24lb / 26lb For MJT*
Odyssey PC680 --------CCA: 220 ---- weight: 15lb / 16lb For MJT*

By Weight:
Optima 37/78 ----------CCA 800 ---- weight: 38.8lb --------------- CA: 1000
Optima 34&34R --------CCA 800 -----weight: 37.9lb --------------- CA: 1000
Optima 75/25 ----------CCA 720 ---- weight: 33.1lb --------------- CA: 910
Optima 25&35 ---------CCA 720 ----- weight: 31.7lb --------------- CA: 910
Odyssey PC925/MJT ---CCA: 380 --- weight: 24lb / 26lb For MJT*
Odyssey PC680 --------CCA: 220 --- weight: 15lb / 16lb For MJT*

More info:
Braile:
Probably Deka rebadged
**no info on website on what Temp the CCA and CA test are done at...
DEKA:
Come with M6 Thread on terminals - you will need adapter to SAE automotive Terminals.
Rebadged as BigCrank, Braille and other brands // BigCrank has cheap price :).
(Proved and discussed on the vwvortex there is a whole thread about it.)
Odyssey:
*MJT: Metal Jacket + Terminals.
Also the Odysseys have battery mounting brakets avaible.
Miata Battery:
Duralast rates them at 330CCA, Marathon at 320CCA, Westco at 475CCA,
make what you want of this info but personally I'm not getting a Westco Battery :D
Made by EastPenn Mfg.
Sold under:
Marathon MAR-8AMU1R (1Year Warranty)
Westco 12V31M (4 Year Warranty)
Duralast 8AMU1R (8Year Warranty - apparently WAS avaible at autozone)

No comments on Optima Batteries?

3 of them died in the RX7 at the rate of one a year. good thing costco took them back.

I suspect that the stiff suspension on public roads with cracks and craters might have something to do with the battery death.

I finally got fed up and went with their Kirkland battery with no issues.

I do have the Optima Red in the GTO with soft suspension and it's still good after 100k miles.

I don't see any sellers of hawker energy Genesis batties....

I'm looking for a PC680 or matching...

http://www.amazon.com/Hawker-Enersy...AY1T2EVDH5E55&s=generic&qid=1323183234&sr=1-2

Need to get one for my Civic, and maybe another for the NSX.

Stay away from Odyssey 680 as everyone on other forums ends up with dead batteries if the temp drops below freezing or you leave the car for more than 2 weeks. You could however use the 680 on the track to save weight.

What if the car is almost daily driven?
Do cold temperatures really have that adverse an affect on the PC680s?

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/Hawker-Enersy...AY1T2EVDH5E55&s=generic&qid=1323183234&sr=1-2

Need to get one for my Civic, and maybe another for the NSX.

What if the car is almost daily driven?
Do cold temperatures really have that adverse an affect on the PC680s?

I had really bad luck with my PC680, and not that much better luck with my PC925, and my current PC1200 does ok.

This is on a NA2 (& thus EPS), rarely driven :)frown:) +2 55W HID & other gizmos.

For NA2's that don't get driven, use a PC925 or higher imo.. In Winter, you're going to fare better.

I had really bad luck with my PC680, and not that much better luck with my PC925, and my current PC1200 does ok.

This is on a NA2 (& thus EPS), rarely driven :)frown:) +2 55W HID & other gizmos.

For NA2's that don't get driven, use a PC925 or higher imo.. In Winter, you're going to fare better.

Thanks for the input.

I'm in a '91 NA1 with only an additional HID kit (whiteNSXs' recent 4300K/35w kit) to drain power (although I do intend to get another kit for the high beams). I drive the crap out of my NSX and live in Georgia where it approaches freezing only on occassion during the coldest winter days (I see you're in Washington so the car is exposed to much colder temps for longer durations).

What do you think the verdict is?

Something I found on Odyssey's website.

Operating temperature range:
PC545, PC680, PC925, PC1200 and PC1700 without metal jacket: -40°C (-40°F) to 45°C (113°F)
PC545, PC680, PC925, PC1200 and PC1700 with metal jacket: -40°C (-40°F) to 80°C (176°F)

I'm wondering if temperature is not so much an issue as not driving the car and letting it sit for long periods of time is... any thoughts?

Ok so to update my thread:

I just bought a lithium battery. It is 5 pounds. I will report back on whether it works or not. I had to buy some specific protection devices and accessories for it. It's a project. But if it works, I will have a lithium solution for the NSX for under $400. A bit better than the $2000 Braille charges. And I am saving 25-30 pounds of dead weight.

Ok so to update my thread:

I just bought a lithium battery. It is 5 pounds. I will report back on whether it works or not. I had to buy some specific protection devices and accessories for it. It's a project. But if it works, I will have a lithium solution for the NSX for under $400. A bit better than the $2000 Braille charges. And I am saving 25-30 pounds of dead weight.

Interesting. My significant other is in the battery business, specifically developing gel cells for motorcycles. I have been meaning to get her to let me test one out in the NSX but so far no go :p

Back