• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coming to America

Off to the USA next week with our 8y/o daughter in tow.

Wife is in NY already with a bunch of girl-friends and daughter and I fly out next Tuesday 24th. We stay a further week in NY, fly to LA for another week then drive the coast to San Fran for another week then home from there.

We are looking at renting a 2010 Camaro for the coast drive.

Any suggestions of places to go, things to see or do would be appreciated.

We have yet to book accommodation in LA most people suggest staying out of the centre and booking somewhere around Venice Beach on the coast any suggestions?

For the drive up the California Coast, one of my favorite areas is the San Luis Obispo (SLO)/Pismo Beach area, which is halfway between LA and SF. If you have time, you can visit Hearst Castle just north of SLO- it's an amazing estate owned by the Hearst family and run by the state. The Missions up the coast are also interesting to see, if you want a historic California perspective.

There is also an abundance of great food: best steaks are F Mclintock's in Pismo Beach; best BBQ is Mo's in downtown SLO; best burgers or steak sandwich (tri tip) is Firestone Grill in downtown SLO.

If you need to spend the night there, Sycamore Springs resort is a nice quiet place, with private hot tubs for each room. Or, you can stay at the Madonna Inn in SLO- a bit eccentric, but famous for its decor.

If you are heading up north to San Francisco on Hwy 1, then Hearst Castle is a must. Allow 3-4 hours (including lunch). Also allow for many vista point opportunities along Hwy 1.

For the drive up the California Coast, one of my favorite areas is the San Luis Obispo (SLO)/Pismo Beach area, which is halfway between LA and SF. If you have time, you can visit Hearst Castle just north of SLO- it's an amazing estate owned by the Hearst family and run by the state. The Missions up the coast are also interesting to see, if you want a historic California perspective.

There is also an abundance of great food: best steaks are F Mclintock's in Pismo Beach; best BBQ is Mo's in downtown SLO; best burgers or steak sandwich (tri tip) is Firestone Grill in downtown SLO.

If you need to spend the night there, Sycamore Springs resort is a nice quiet place, with private hot tubs for each room. Or, you can stay at the Madonna Inn in SLO- a bit eccentric, but famous for its decor.

Patric thanks for that yeah we where wondering where to stay on the drive up Sycamore sounds great and the Madonna looks like the place to stay.
Many thanks and Cheers:smile:

If you are heading up north to San Francisco on Hwy 1, then Hearst Castle is a must. Allow 3-4 hours (including lunch). Also allow for many vista point opportunities along Hwy 1.

Looks like Hearst Castle is the place to go once again many thanks for your suggestion.:smile:

Do you like sight seeing in nature or cities?

Both really here is Aust. we have some of the worlds most amazing natural wonders we're really lucky that way so thats why i'm looking forward to NY one of worlds amazing man-made wonders:biggrin:

We are booking the Argonaut Hotel in San Fran so we just need somewhere to stay in LA any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Pat gave some great suggestions for the Central Coast. As you're driving up I'd also suggest Mattei's Tavern in Los Olivos, Jocko's in Nipomo (Santa Maria Style BBQ), McLintocks near Shell Beach, and potential wine tasting at Talley Farms in Arroyo Grande.

In addition to Hearst Castle (which is amazing), I wouldn't pass up Morro Rock and the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey.

We are booking the Argonaut Hotel in San Fran so we just need somewhere to stay in LA any suggestions would be well appreciated.

What part of Los Angeles? and what do you plan on doing?.

Most people from out of town do not know how big the difference it is from Los Angles and Orange County.

What part of Los Angeles? and what do you plan on doing?.

Most people from out of town do not know how big the difference it is from Los Angles and Orange County.

Well we are looking at Hollywood and Universal Studios nth of LA then Anahiem both Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm down sth.

I've been told Monument Valley is quite specky up nth and the Napa Valley sth is close to our heart as we come from South Australia - Australia's premium wine region.

A friend over the week-end said she lived in OC and absolutely loved it.

So many places/choices and so little time.

Back