• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NItto NT5 vs. Dunlop Z1?

I've ran the RT615 and I've just about had it with the drone from the Kumho XS, even though it provides tremendous grip.

So now I'm down to the Z1 or NT5.

I like to hear about wet and dry performance since both are directional treads.

This is for street usage, primarily in the dry, but I may get caught in the rain.

Last edited:
The quietest stickiest tire I have run is the toyo RA-1 - it is great in the wet too.

I realize these are not the tires you were asking about, but you mentioned noise...

Having used almost every brand of tire on my NSX, except Nitto and Toyo, the Dunlop Z1's have been the best for me. Good tread wear, and no road noise. The worst tires in terms of wear were the Goodyear F1's. I think I got 3,000 miles out of those. The worst in terms of sound were the Kumho's. Those things screamed after 4,000 miles.

I hope this helps.

Love my Dunlop Z1s. I loved the Nitto NT01, but I have had two friends that have driven (track) on the NT05s and hated them. They said the grip was sub-par for an "extreme" summer tire and they would not buy them again. This was based purely on track performance.

Love my Dunlop Z1s. I loved the Nitto NT01, but I have had two friends that have driven (track) on the NT05s and hated them. They said the grip was sub-par for an "extreme" summer tire and they would not buy them again. This was based purely on track performance.

I did some searches on other forums and it appears that the Z1 was the best all around tire compared to the NT01.

BTW, I got lucky and found the last pair of Yokohama Advan Neova 235/40/17 for $90 each. I'll give this a shot. The rear I'm buying the Z1 and.

I did similar research and found that most people like Dunlop Z1 Star Spec. I think the next set of tires will be those for me.

You guys are mixing up two different kinds of tires in this discussion - "extreme performance" street tires (Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Falken Azenis RT-615, Nitto NT05), and R compound track tires (Nitto NT01, Toyo Proxes RA-1). R compounds are great for the track, but not so good for the street, due to their rapid treadwear, need to be warmed up to grip, and high cost. If this is for street use, stick with street tires, including the "extreme performance" tires if you're looking for maximum grip.

The Nitto NT05 does not come in any sizes to fit the NSX front. So if the choice is only between the NT05 and the Star Spec, the answer should be obvious.

I had the RT-615's and I hated them on the NSX.
They are scary on wet, I could feel the car just swinging from side to side, at only 80kmh.
they really are aweful.

I just intalled Star specs and is a night and they difference, I can drive the NSX with so much confidence on the rain. I have not tracked the car yet since I installed them thogh.

-MSR

Will be ordering my Z1's within the next week or so. Was that or the AD08's but was surprised to see so much positive feedback for the Z1's in comparison. Plus the Z1's are actually less :smile:

Z1 Starspec is probably the best deal and Bang/buck out there. It's almost as good as the Yokohama AD08 for alot less. Go with starspec over the NT05 and AD08 over SS if $ is not a concern.

I have had a great time with my NT05's out here in phoenix! Similar grip to my XS's but they seem to be wearing slower.

235/40/17 and 275/40/17

Back