• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hood Latches

Another Primer PM'd me a few weeks ago asking if I'd thought about hood latches for my NSX-R hood. I responded that I didn't like any of the options out there except for one: the hood latches on the HSV-010. Those are low profile and unobtrusive (the opposite of which is my biggest complaint with everything out there now). Didn't like the AeroCatches and the pin and cotter types should be reserved for the domestic muscle crowd.

With my curiousity piqued again, I searched some more and found nothing but the age old stuff I'd seen before. Bleh. Until I took a look through a domestic muscle magazine (oh, the irony) and saw an interesting hood latch product that seemed to be exactly what I was looking for: Quik Latch:

http://www.quik-latch.com/index.html

Here's what they look like:
14.jpg

And what they're like installed:
Prelude1.jpg

Prelude7.jpg

Video Demo:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/naArIJ7nN54?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/naArIJ7nN54?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

These still seemed a bit large for my tastes not to mention a bit on the expensive side ($299), so I put these on the backburner for a bit. A couple weeks ago, I decided to go ahead and order them but before I did, I took a look at what their "New Products" tab and lo and behold...the "MiniLatch."

Minilatch10.jpg

Size comparison:
Minilatch4.jpg

And only $60 bones! So I ordered the MiniLatches (I can always order the full size version and install easier than the other way around) and received the package the following day. Hardware looks good and the connection is strong w/o any movement between the stud and the mounting body. Unfortunately, I haven't mounted them yet (car is at SOS) but will once I get my car back. They'll be painted formula red, hopefully have the margin of safety I want, and, hopefully, be virtually undetectable.

Thought I'd share this option in case others had the same concerns I had. I'll post up pics when they're installed on my NSX.

Oh the irony. :biggrin:

I have a set of original Aerocatch latches, the ones without the keyed lock, and haven't installed them because I think they are too big and awkward looking on a street car, yet I would like the security of knowing my hood won't rip off the car at high speed. I'm not sure I like the look of the quik-latch either, but I'll wait to see them installed and painted on your car.

OTOH, the look like a nice bit of kit for only $60.

Uh boy don't show Hrant this.....he won't know what to do with all those magnets and industrial velcro he has laying all over the house:biggrin:

I had seen them before (youtube) and actually saw one at a car show last week. I thought maybe.... until I saw it in person. They don't really sit flush with the hood, like having two gigantic zits on your hood.

I have a set of original Aerocatch latches...

I thought Aerocatches were the next best thing for a hood latch...but then I saw this during a recent Viper Days event:

47127_1580605996178_1266518311_1586114_5762229_n.jpg

The mounting stud broke off one of the catches, hood flew, busted the windshield, and rear hatch glass. That said, I'm sure something like this has happened with a lot of various hood latch types.

Goes to show that the best latch is the one built into the car.
I thought Aerocatches were the next best thing for a hood latch...but then I saw this during a recent Viper Days event:

47127_1580605996178_1266518311_1586114_5762229_n.jpg

The mounting stud broke off one of the catches, hood flew, busted the windshield, and rear hatch glass. That said, I'm sure something like this has happened with a lot of various hood latch types.

Sent from my Droid

Pics of the Quik-Latches installed:

283538_2247875997511_1266518311_2677062_3820322_n.jpg

I know this isn't a head-on view but it does show a view of the front. Better than nuttin'. Fairly unobtrusive.
268443_2247871557400_1266518311_2677048_170672_n.jpg

And some validity to their strength:

Quik-Latch web site said:
The Quik-Latch Mini Latches have recently been approved for use in competition by the NHRA!

We installed these, and they are indeed great - thank you Shawn for bringing these to our attention. In addition to being lower profile - they allow the socket to misalign. It is a good idea to lubricate the male and female socket to allow the halves to slide together smoothly.

cheers,
-- Chris

Back