• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

legal to sell a vanity license plate in california?

folks,

i'd like to get rid of a couple of vanity license plates i have on my cars and am wondering (1) if it's legal to sell them to another person and (2) what the process is for doing this, assuming it's legal.

any / all feedback is appreciated.
hal

I don't see why you couldn't as long as your are paid up on the plates.

You just have to fill out the application form to release interest in the plates and the other person will have to take that along with an application form for the same plate and submit it to the DMV.

I recently acquired the rights to 95MERLO for my 95 MERLOT Miata. ;)

Otto

I just found this site that might interest you:
http://www.greatplateexchange.com/vanity_plate_search.asp?state=CA&P=1

Last edited:
I've asked the DMV this question and their answer was: It is not illegal to sell plates and they have no control over people selling/buying license plates. :biggrin:

folks,

i'd like to get rid of a couple of vanity license plates i have on my cars and am wondering (1) if it's legal to sell them to another person and (2) what the process is for doing this, assuming it's legal.

any / all feedback is appreciated.
hal

You can sell it to Doug for his Hoveround.:biggrin:

You can sell it to Doug for his Hoveround.:biggrin:

Hal, do you happen to have:

1. Old guy
2. Hoveround Raider

If so, mark them sold!

Hal, do you happen to have:

1. Old guy
2. Hoveround Raider

If so, mark them sold!
voila! (please note, these are mock ups, not actual plates i own ;) OLDEGUY is taken, but i don't know about the others.

Attachments

• oldeguy.png
    oldeguy.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,156
  • hvraidr.png
    hvraidr.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,112
  • hvrdood.png
    hvrdood.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,115
Back