• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ayrton Senna's NSX for sale

That would be one special NSX... the man was a legend and helped design the car, so I'd assume it should be worth some serious cheddar. He did have more than one though, so a collector would be a nice person to have this one, and maybe his other one should be in a museum.

Ah man that really brings up emotions. That man was a gift to F1 and an inspiration to automotive bastions everywhere!

I've been trying to think of what I would do if I were to buy this car. I can't, for the life of me, decide if I would drive it, display it, or hoard it to myself and just cherish it.

It is truly a special vehicle.

I've been trying to think of what I would do if I were to buy this car. I can't, for the life of me, decide if I would drive it, display it, or hoard it to myself and just cherish it.

It is truly a special vehicle.

I'd display it for all the world to appreciate the car, the man, and their history. There'd literally be fans from all over the world that would come and visit. Charge a small fee and use some of that revenue to pay for the car and give the rest to a deserving charity (ie. my children's college fund ;) ).

I'd have to have some pretty serious proof it was his first of all. I went to the thread and the one he supposedly kept in Brazil was black and the one in Portugal was red......something makes me wonder?

You know a lot of folks think that because some famous person owns a car that in itself makes it something special. I don't agree necessarily. It's not like this car was raced or won races in the hands of Senna. It has no race history - other than maybe Senna took it to the track. A while ago there was an artical in Excellence magazine about the 356 Speedster that Steve McQueen owned, how nice it still was, and that his son owned it and drove it and doesn't plan on selling it but plans to enjoy it like his Dad did, etc., etc. That's kind of what we have here.

Now on the other hand if this was a famous race car with real race heritage, won at 24 hours or something, and was driven by Senna in those races and is a one or two off - then it would be worth some serious cash - this NSX is not like that. I've seen other stars that have owned cars that didn't do that much "serious" money at auctions before - so I'm thinking this one falls more into that catagory. Not a real true classic for the "vintage car races at Monterey" - so does it have added value that Senna owned it - yes probably so - how much is the question. It is not priceless by any stretch in my opinion.

My 2 cents....and that's all it's worth too....

I'd have to have some pretty serious proof it was his first of all. I went to the thread and the one he supposedly kept in Brazil was black and the one in Portugal was red......something makes me wonder?

You know a lot of folks think that because some famous person owns a car that in itself makes it something special. I don't agree necessarily. It's not like this car was raced or won races in the hands of Senna. It has no race history - other than maybe Senna took it to the track. A while ago there was an artical in Excellence magazine about the 356 Speedster that Steve McQueen owned, how nice it still was, and that his son owned it and drove it and doesn't plan on selling it but plans to enjoy it like his Dad did, etc., etc. That's kind of what we have here.

Now on the other hand if this was a famous race car with real race heritage, won at 24 hours or something, and was driven by Senna in those races and is a one or two off - then it would be worth some serious cash - this NSX is not like that. I've seen other stars that have owned cars that didn't do that much "serious" money at auctions before - so I'm thinking this one falls more into that catagory. Not a real true classic for the "vintage car races at Monterey" - so does it have added value that Senna owned it - yes probably so - how much is the question. It is not priceless by any stretch in my opinion.

+1 well said

Tim you never seem to run out of words but at least they are well chosen. I agree I would need to see proper documentation on whether it's truley his. Honda should know as they gave it to him.

I do think this car carries more weight in price than a similar NSX. The man helped design and tweak the chasis through testing at a track and he was a legend in F1. I think maybe the right place for it is in a Honda museum. I think the key thing here is that he helped develop it. It's not like its just some F1 race car drivers car for sale. In short I don't think Shumachers NSX of the same year would be worth as much if he ever ownerd one.

Normally, cars a given to museum for free or being lent for some time. But the dealer wants to see cash in hand not in the museum or for charity. :)

Normally, cars a given to museum for free or being lent for some time. But the dealer wants to see cash in hand not in the museum or for charity. :)

I don't know if that's true or not but even if it is, how often will Honda have a chance to buy a car owned and driven by Aryton Senna. I am thinking thats a piece of history that I would want if I was Honda.

It would be interesting to know what the dealer wants for is it. Is it market plus some minor mark up because it was his car or is priced astronomically high

Hi,

The current owner of Senna's Portuguese Red NSX is a Honda dealer owner and he still has the original documents with Ayrton Senna name on it ... so, in the portuguese DMV, when you call his license plate, it stills shows Ayrton Senna as it's owner.

He really doesn't want to sell it, but he put up a for sale add asking 150K €uros for it (about 193K USD).

it is red/black and it is one of the first, if not the first in Portugal... by the license plate, it's a middle 91 one.

i remember posting here somewhere a link to that for sale add.

Nuno

I agree with Tim to the extent that the car has no race pedigree but, if it really is a Senna car, it has an intrinsic value to someone who knows and cares about it's history. You may not be able to charge a premium price for such a thing, but the aura surrounding such a car would be priceless.

Sitting in that car and gripping the steering wheel would give me chills up and down my spine. Somewhat like Gold's gym in Venice Beach California. They claim the same weights you lift are the ones touched/used by Arnold Schwarzsenegger.

Let me rattle the fence.:rolleyes:
I am always amazed by the fact that previous well known owners have influence on the value of a car:confused:.
I couldn't care less who has been the former owner of a car I buy.:redface:
I buy a car for it's model, it's handling, it's performance, it's condition... who has owned in the past doesn't make it any different when driving it...............

Let me rattle the fence.:rolleyes:
I am always amazed by the fact that previous well known owners have influence on the value of a car:confused:.
I couldn't care less who has been the former owner of a car I buy.:redface:
I buy a car for it's model, it's handling, it's performance, it's condition... who has owned in the past doesn't make it any different when driving it...............

Right, but this isn't like buying Harrison Ford or Bill Gates' NSX.......this is one of the people that had a great influence on the development and set-up of the NSX. This is a person who was involved before the NSX was available to the public. This was a person who helped the NSX become what it is. His celebrity is second to the reasons listed above.

That is what makes it a museum worthy piece, not just that it was owned by a celebrity.

His car would be a valuable piece for a Senna museum. It might be valuable to Honda - but then Senna drove many of Honda's NSXs - like the Rs so does that mean every car Senna drove is valuable? Maybe because there is a Senna hair in his - it makes it super valuable - to a limited crowd I'd think. The guy that is selling Senna's NSX in Portugal - the guys on crack! 197K - are you kidding - geezy peazy. I wonder wnen that one sells - but you know it's just my opinion - others may think his car is worth 197k - any takers here on Prime??? I didn't think so. Anyway - I certainly would like to say that I own Senna's car - don't get me wrong - knowing that he had maintained it and driven it - nice to know that his butt graced my seat. How much is that worth - maybe someone thinks his car is worth the big bucks - but man if it ever got that kind of money - you couldn't drive it. Sorry not for me.

Hope if it sells someone let's us all know.

I dunno guys...its like a Carol Shelby Cobra. If its a car from his own personal collection people just go asnine at Barrett Jackson.

If someone picked up this Senna NSX, stored it, and kept it for when the Japanese sports cars like the NSX, S2000, 300ZX, any old Datsun, Integra Type R (note all unmolested) start to become collectible then....BAM! Collector item.

I think it would be a smart buy. I'm 34, starting to become affluent of sorts but I can bet there's some of us at the same age making tons and will drive the future car market of vehicles that we loved as teens.

Jet you make an interesting point but you forget one thing in your comparo - Senna didn't exactly engineer the car like Carol Shelby engineered and built the Cobra and he didn't race them. Not to mention that Carol Shelby is a living legend with lots of "cobra" work with Ford and lots and lots of models with his signature on the dash - the man is way beyond what Senna was to the Cobra AND he's still alive. Now I don't mean to take away from what Senna did for NSX or what Senna did as a racer but what Senna did as a racer was not in the NSX. It was in Formula One - Carol's legend was in the car that bears the name he created and he raced them to victory time and time again. His long life with the name Cobra makes it worth a lot - it's just crazy mistique.

I don't think that you can put Senna in the same story with Carol Shelby by any stretch. It's like apples to oranges - no way they are in the same category - maybe just a tinny tiny bit. So will Senna's NSX ever be worth the 5 million Carol's Cobra went for - ummmmm- NO. Don't think so.

Don't mean to make lite of this interesting ownership and it does have cache but how much - how much in the future.....very questionable. I think the guy that has his car in Portugal that wants a totally exhorbetant amount for it will find out - I doubt it sells for anything like 197k. I'd be interested to know what it does sell for though but we'll probably never know.

I'd love to have a Senna NSX and there may be others too that have loads and loads of cash that might pay a big premium. I'd love to know. Curiosity that's all. I wouldn't scrape up the cash thinking that it's going to escalate big time though! I could be wrong....

Right, but this isn't like buying Harrison Ford or Bill Gates' NSX.......this is one of the people that had a great influence on the development and set-up of the NSX. This is a person who was involved before the NSX was available to the public. This was a person who helped the NSX become what it is. His celebrity is second to the reasons listed above.

That is what makes it a museum worthy piece, not just that it was owned by a celebrity.

That's right. Guess where Harrison bought his? :wink:

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,183
When it comes to collectability, history is everything. While comparing Senna to Shelby is apples to oranges, Senna is an iconic figure that is inextricably linked to the NSX. He helped define the car and how it drives. If he didn't die, there would probably be Senna special edition NSXes instead of Zanardis (provided that Senna would be driving for Honda at the time).

When the time comes for a Senna NSX to hit the auction block in 20 years, it will certainly fetch more money with documentation of Senna ownership than a Joe Blow ownership of an NSX.

When it comes to collectability, history is everything. While comparing Senna to Shelby is apples to oranges, Senna is an iconic figure that is inextricably linked to the NSX. He helped define the car and how it drives. If he didn't die, there would probably be Senna special edition NSXes instead of Zanardis (provided that Senna would be driving for Honda at the time).

When the time comes for a Senna NSX to hit the auction block in 20 years, it will certainly fetch more money with documentation of Senna ownership than a Joe Blow ownership of an NSX.

I agree. I once read that Eisenhower's Eldorado was sold for $104,000 in 1987; that's 1,341% of its original price. AND IKE DIDN'T HELP BUILD THE CAR EITHER.

Back