• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FR NSX SGT with Kers...

Whoa, :confused:

Didn't Honda create the new HSV-010 GT to replace the old NSX in racing series.

This FR NSX has all the similar styling of our current NSX. Just modified slightly to fit the FR layout?

FRNSX-GT.jpg

Last edited:
I'll admit, I like it more than I thought I would. I will say that it sounds AMAZING, but aside from that I know that Honda won't release anything this similar to the NSX they killed off almost six years ago...rest assured this is just a test mule for some other chassis they have lying in wait to do battle with the GTR and the LF-A I'm sure. Just my thoughts

I am 100% OK with Honda/Acura never doing another NSX.
In fact if they did it would detract from what we have now.

Like the Lancia Stratos clone built on a 430 chassis.
Looks the same but not even close.

This is strange. I'm excited to see Honda engineers work on NSX, but it is FR. What???

The best many of us could hope for is a potential return to a production sports car. But if you look at Honda's history, we have heard this song before.

Are you ready to get serious Honda or are you just dicking around?

I love the car, though it's amazing how people don't read. :smile: Here is the info about the NSX-GT with KERS

What a surprise... Nobody, and even none of the auto media could see this coming. At a regular "Super GT Test Day" held at TwinRing Motegi on October 2010, Honda NSX-GT suddenly showed up with no official announcement. Honda already has HSV for Super GT. Why now NSX-GT?

[Story]

The vehicle has the looking of NSX-GT, but what lies under the body kit is a "FR" vehicle. The exact same car was previously spotted just once on 2007 when it was announced that Super GT regulation would change from 2009 and only "3.4L FR" race cars will be allowed. NSX-GT being a "3.5L mid-ship", it was apparent that the new regulation was designed to shut out NSX-GT from Super GT. Honda needed to make a tough decision at that time whether to make a FR version of NSX-GT, or stop racing. The car spotted on 2007 was a result of Honda's ultimate struggle - its hood awkwardly stretched to store engine in front, sticking exhaust pipes from the side instead of rear, and roof-top air intake became useless and had scaled down.

Eventually, Honda managed to survive in racing in Super GT by developing a new 3.4L FR vehicle, HSV-010 GT on 2010. And what had happened to that "FR NSX-GT"? There was no doubt of it being scrapped and gone forever, after all it became a useless prototype race car. The set-up probably did not go well, and above all, who would like to see a FR NSX?

[NSX-GT with KERS]

But it turned out that "FR NSX-GT" was still alive, secretly stored inside the garage of Honda R&D team for 3 years. This time, it was chosen for the vehicle to officially test KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems) which might be used for 2012 Super GT or later. To reduce development cost of KERS, Honda volunteered to provide the car and gather data for all race entrants, and Lexus and Nissan approved it. "FR NSX-GT" was an ideal test car for all 3 car makers. The car was basically designed to race in Super GT, but Honda did not develop it till the end and had never used in races, thus lack of racing data. This was fair deal for Lexus and Nissan because Honda testing KERS will not bring advantage to HSV.

So many people and media asked the GT Association (management organization of Super GT) the specification of this "NSX-GT Hybrid", and later an official announcement was made.

KERS provided for testing purpose for Super GT vehicle is manufactured by Zytek, the same KERS supplier for F1. It can be used to boost the car for maximum of 20 seconds to overtake others, and can be fully recharged after 1 single lap. It is 40kw strong and is powerful enough to drive cars solely on electric motor on places such as pit lanes. The KERS itself weigh 50kg.

[Test Result]

According to GT Association, the very first test drive of NSX-GT Hybrid was done a month ago, and this was the first time to seriously test its potential on race tracks. Test driver of "NSX-GT Hybrid" was Katsutomo Kaneishi who was a Honda test driver in days of NSX-GT, and currently a director of Real Racing Team with KEIHIN HSV-010. His best lap of the day was 1.49"468 at TwinRing Motegi, only 4.453 seconds slower than the fastest lap of the day by Lexus ENEOS SC430.

There should be tons of more tests coming, but so far it seems possible KERS might be used at Super GT in the near future.

So I wouldn't count on Honda to build any of these. More likely than not it is what it is, a test bed for KERS.

And for those who like candy, myself included here are some pics.
FR_NSX_2-587x391.jpg

FR_NSX_8-587x440.jpg

FR_NSX_3-587x391.jpg

FR_NSX_6-587x440.jpg

FR_NSX_10-587x440.jpg

FR_NSX_9-587x440.jpg

Last edited:
Its like a NSX/Vette/Viper Combo.

pretty cool.

Come out with a 600HP V10 version and sell it!

uh I think it still needs to be lowered and needs narrower tires so the rim sticks out....other than that... distilled abstinance

I just don't know how to feel about this...it's not a NSX, but it sorta looks like a SuperGT NSX. It's not even the HSV. Weird.

Looks like they are using it as a testing mule now to see what advantages the KERS system brings. Too bad it wasn't campaigned.

Great find - thanks for posting.

Article

Front-engine-Rear Wheel Drive NSX!!

6 October 2010 6 Comments
Acura (or Honda for the JDM crowd) NSX came from the factory as a transversely mounted mid-engine, rear wheel drive car. This layout was chosen for its relatively favorable weight distribution.
But just recently at the Twin Ring Motegi, a return of of the original NSX in GT form was there testing along side the new HSV-010 GT – the racecar that replaced it.

So what’s the deal? Well word is that this is a Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive (FR) NSX.

Honda brought out their FR NSX “test mule” to the track equipped with Kinetic Energy Recovery System aka KERS. The system was supplied by ZYTEK – same supplier for the F1 Mclaren team.

The ZYTEK staff were on hand during the test day gathering as much data as possible. And reports from as-web said that while it cruised down the pit area powered mostly by KERS, the car did not emit any sound at all.

With the KERS being involve in the future of the Super GT racecars, Toyota and Nissan participated in the test as well.

The FR NSX ran about 45 laps during the test session. The best lap it was able to record was 1:50.634. For reference, the last time the NSX-GT in its mid mounted engine layout ran this course, it recorded a 1:44.390 by ARTA NSX – fully tuned during the 2nd qualifying of Round 9 in the 2009 season. Not bad for its first day out.
UPDATE:
I put together a comparison shot of the original “MR” NSX vs the “FR” NSX test mule. The main exterior differences are noted in the image.

The extra room on the front end of the FR NSX GT was designed to accommodate the V8 engine

More info posted at SuperGT.net
System mounted on FR type NSX. Tests eye 2012 regulation changes
The reason for this special appearance was to test a new hybrid system mounted in the FR type NSX. The new SUPER GT regulation set to go into effect for the 2012 season will enable participation of cars with hybrid systems. With regard to the use of hybrid systems, GTA has been in talks with the three makers competing in the GT500 class, and Honda has stepped forward this time with an advance hybrid technology development project.

The system in use is made by Zytek and is said to be a battery-equipped & liquid-cooled hybrid system. Initial shakedown testing has already been conducted a month ago, but this appearance marked the first full-fledged track tests. The system has a 40kw output and is said to be capable not only of powering an overtake button function like those used in F1 but also powering the car as an EV (electric-powered vehicle) in the pit lane. What’s more, it is reported that the battery can be charged from a no-charge state to full charge while running just one lap of a racetrack. A full charge is said to power the overtake button for approximately 20 seconds of use.
According to a Honda spokesperson, the total weight of the system is about 50 kg. The battery and the radiator that cools it are mounted in the rear of the car. The engine mounted in the front of the vehicle is said to be the same 3.4-liter V8 presently used by Honda in the GT500 machines, but the overall weight of the car with the hybrid system is approximately 100 kg heavier than the current GT500 machine.
Because they wanted the opinion of a veteran driver,” Katsutomo Kaneishi was chosen as the test driver. Despite the added weight of the car, Kaneishi succeeded in breaking the 1 min. 50 sec. barrier on the Motegi track on the second day of tests with a lap time of 1 min. 49.468 sec. That was just 4.453 seconds behind the fastest time recorded in that session by the ENEOS SC430.

Although there will surely be further testing and development before a hybrid system like this is actually used in GT competition, the initial results were positive. At present it is not clear whether GTA will supply this system to all cars participating in the GT500 class from the 2012 season. It is likely that development will continue in consultation with the various makers to determine the appropriate timing for full-scale adoption.
source: as-web, Minkara, SuperGT.net

This is all interesting with what Honda is doing, but I don't really give a hoot what Honda is doing unless there is an intent to produce a street worthy version.

This is all interesting with what Honda is doing, but I don't really give a hoot what Honda is doing unless there is an intent to produce a street worthy version.

I think it's good that Honda continues to invest in racing, because that means there is at least some culture of motorsports within the company, and therefore, hope for the future. If they dropped all racing efforts across the board, then then that would be really bad.

LOL Well Silver give a Hoot now

Back