• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

steering wheel squealing - cable reel?

It develops a slight squealing when I turn the steering wheel. I can also feel it in my hands. I've disassembled the covers of the steering column but didn't uninstall the steering wheel yet. The squealing seems to come from the black box around the steering column. I'm not sure if this is the cable reel.

BTW, my steering gearbox is out of the car at the moment, so this can't be the source.

Attachments

• IMG_2138(2).JPG
    IMG_2138(2).JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 186
In your picture, the red box is exactly where the cable reel is. The cable reel sits around the steering column right behind the steering wheel. To get to the front face of the cable reel, you have to remove the steering wheel. If you remove your airbag you can probably diagnose the squeaking better. My steering wheel also squeaked at the points where the two pins of the cable reel fit into the steering wheel body cover.

I agree. take the bag out and then troubleshoot.

when I first got my NSX I took the steering wheel off to clean it with leather cleaner etc. and I am pretty sure it had never been taken off before IE from the factory 20+ years ago. and the Bolt that holds the wheel on was so loose.

I mean I had to torque it down I was amazed. not saying this is your problem. but put a 19mm socket on the bolt and see how many times you can turn it tighter. could be the squeeking in question.

my 2 cents

My friend had a squealing steering wheel. It sounded like plasting rubbing against something. I thought it was the cable reel so we removed the airbag and started to look around. The cable reel connectors were disconnected and then proceeded to remove the steering wheel. The nut was removed and as the steering wheel was being moved upward slowly, the same noise could be heard. The steering wheel was moved up and down slightly and it can be clearly heard. This is good as the noise had nothing to do with turning the steering wheel. Once off, we saw two pins sticking out from the cable reel. They had cloth tape wrapped around them and most of it was peeled off and resting beside the pins. The cable reel pins were rubbing against the grooves they rest against on the steering wheel. The cloth tape was put on correctly around the pins and the grooves on the steering wheel where the pins make contact were smoothed out with a file. The steering wheel was put on. Then it was pulled up and down slightly and it was quiet! Buttoned it all up and no issues to date. After months of driving, the noise is no longer there.

NSXsteering.jpg

Thanks very much for your replies. I think getting the airbag and steering wheel off are the next steps. I'll keep you informed.

Updates. The cable reel is the culprit. After removing it (very nice work) I put on the steering wheel and nothing was squealing. Then I turned the cable reel THIS is it. Noise and fine vibrations while turning it. I doesn't look as if it can be opened. Does anyone have a hint? Or better get another one? Nice end of a season. Yes, I feel pissed. :(

Attachments

• IMG_2034(2).JPG
    IMG_2034(2).JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2038(2).JPG
    IMG_2038(2).JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 102
I had to replace mine it wasnt expensive. I want to say 350.00 USD but be real careful with the new one. when installing it.

I had to replace mine it wasnt expensive. I want to say 350.00 USD but be real careful with the new one. when installing it.

Just wondering: why did you have to replace it? What to look at especially? SM 17-10 describes the installation procedure of turning it clockwise until it stops. The turn it two times counterclockwise then install the steering wheel etc.

Back