• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crazy Horse carved into mountain

This is unbelievable. I had no idea this has been in the works for decades. Personally I think it is very fitting.

Video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11505895

CrazyHorse_390x300.jpg

I was there about 12-15 years ago when I was growing up. Its really amazing. I remember something about being able to fit all four heads from Mt. Rushmore on Crazy Horses arm, just to give an idea of scale.

They started in 1948 if I remember correctly. The face was finished in '98!! The progress is very slow because they only accept funding from the public - they declined a 10mil gift from the Feds decades ago. So if you go there buy something in the gift shop - that's a major ource of their revenue and funding. I have a coffee mug with a mountain on it that turns into the outline of the finished carving once you pour a hot beverage in it. :)

The hole in the middle of the mountain was done first so they can move trucks through it. Funny thing, I have that same picture, same angle, same shot - much like every tourist in the world who's ever been there does I'm sure.

It's only few miles up the road from Mt Rushmore. It dwarfs it in size. It's way cooler.

Last edited:
the work was started by a polish immigrant-artist and was continued by his sons after his death. it is an entirely private-sponsored enterprise.

I saw it when I was at 6th grade camp in the early 70's. We also saw Mt. Rushmore. I am glad to see that it is slowly progressing.

I can't believe its been going on for so long! here must be a neat story behind all of this. Why did they not take the government money offered to them I wonder...

i'd guess it would be sort of a 'betreyal'- Crazy Horse was an anti-government leader fighting/protesting continuous breaking of treaties with natives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly what we did to the American Indians is really shameful. It's up there with slavery.

Frankly what we did to the American Indians is really shameful. It's up there with slavery.

+infinity!!!

I was at Mount Rushmore a few years ago and I knew about Crazy Horse but I did not know it was anywhere near MR. :( Guess I need to make another trip out there now.

Back