• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So which oil filter now?

While I am a huge fan of OEM, I just have a problem with that little newly designed oil filter.:rolleyes: So what are "you" using now? Hoping to stick with a big filter. Thanks.

Currently, b/c of oil cooler fitment issues, I'm using the "Legend" filter and have purchased a small supply of Legend filters manufactured by Toyo Roki for Honda. To be frank, you really don't need more than that Legend filter.

I've searched for K&N, Bosch, and Royal Purple filters for the Legend without success. If Toyo Roki filters aren't available, it'd be nice to have either of the aforementioned have a version available.

I have a couple of the tall filters that I'm just saving for posterity's sake. Museum pieces. ;)

I run a Puralator L24484 with Pennzoil Ultra synthetic that Ferrari uses (Pennzoil is much better when Shell bought them and revamped their oil formula).

PuroOil_664.jpg

My NSX had 150k miles on it and since I started running synthetic the day that I bought it at 35k, the engine literally didn't age.

When Driving Ambition did the standard leak and compression test they told me that my engine at 105k miles was more like an engine that was at 35k~ miles.

PuroOilefficiency_175.jpg

less than a 3% leakage and all compression was consistent across the board. In other words my engine was healthy enough to put the SOS SC on there.

Purolator_Oilcutaway.jpg

I find it funny that people seldom talk about MPE and SPE when looking for oil filter's ability to filter out stuff.

Last edited:
I use the Denso 150-1013, which is the same as OEM tall filter for my 1991. You can find it online.

the bigger filters are over rated, as long as something is filtering the oil before its passed back into the engine will be fine. so if Honda though switching to a smaller oil filter would hurt their engines they wouldnt have done it. to any of their models

I mean I have a 2008 3.5L 286hp TL-typeS and it has more HP, bigger engine etc. and it uses the little oil filters and its fine. our 3.0L and 3.2L NSX engines they really dont need the OLD SCHOOL filters.

my 2005 3.2L 270hp TL again, has about the same engine and uses the small oil filters.

Honda Ridgeline having a 3.5L V6 heavy duty work engine uses the same small Honda filter.

Acura RL 300HP 3.7L V6 uses the small oil filters.
Acura ZDX 300HP 3.7L V6 uses the small oil filters.
Acura MDX 300HP 3.7L V6 uses the small oil filters.
Acura RDX 240HP 2.3L I-4 TURBO uses the small oil filters.

the bigger the better Not in this case.

new technology better designs mean better and smaller Filters.

now I have read somewhere on prime about useing aftermarket stuff
like FRAM and a few others and having them blow out. so I stick with the OEM version.

it like the NSX paint, back then the used a 22 step process to paint the aluminum cuz they didnt know how to do it, this process, now in today painting aluminum isnt a 22 step process as new technology in paints etc.etc

another thing is the engine only sucks so much oil at one time anyway. so putting a bigger filter on really just pointless.

its like having a square box 8 feet tall then filling it with 10,000 BB's

and then having a round box 1 foot tall with the same 10,000 pellets

then you cut a 1 inch hole at the bottom of each box. they would empty the same time as the HOLE is the same size.

so tall filter VS small filter same hole= same end result clean oil.

so rip into me guys lets have it.........

+1 for the NAPA.

Bigger filters are not overrated.

Given the same filtering medium, a bigger filter will impede the oil flow less than a smaller one. On our 8000RPM engine with significantly higher bearing and journal loads than the other engines Shawn mentioned, you want the as closest to the OEM as possible.

Until someone does a pressure drop test and particulate efficiency test between our old OEM filters, the little Honda filter and the bigger NAPA, I'll stick with the bigger filter any day.

It all boils down to whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'm sure Honda knows what they are doing. If they say the little filter is OK, then it is probably OK for 99% of the NSX's that aren't abused on a track (most racers run a Canton filter or something like that). Actually, it is a design feature of our oil system that if the filter is clogged, the oil is too thick, or we're running at redline, the oil bypasses the filter completely.

Dave

Napa part no. please. I went to napa today and all they seem to have is the short version.:confused: They spent about 10/15 minutes looking in their book and came up empty. This was for the Napa "gold" filter which is their premium filter. Thanks again.

I bought a 10-pack of the Denso tall filters from Dali when I got my NSX. Since I change my oil once per year, I have a 10 year supply. :) I checked his site and he is out of stock. Maybe you should e-mail him and see if he knows of another source?

Napa part no. please. I went to napa today and all they seem to have is the short version.:confused: They spent about 10/15 minutes looking in their book and came up empty. This was for the Napa "gold" filter which is their premium filter. Thanks again.

The part numbers are on the box and filter pictured in my link above. There are 3 different numbers and I forget which one works for them. But copy them all down and one should pop up. They still had them as of this spring when I changed my oil last.

^^^^^^^Thanks.:smile:

I used the Denso which seems to be good quality and made in Japan. As some mentioned, I think any quality filter will be good enough for normal driving condition.

I recalled reading a post here that the oil only get filtered under certain condition and most of the time, it goes straight through the filter.

I bought a 10-pack of the Denso tall filters from Dali when I got my NSX. Since I change my oil once per year, I have a 10 year supply. :) I checked his site and he is out of stock. Maybe you should e-mail him and see if he knows of another source?

Smart move, I think I'll do the same since I have both an X and a legend

I use the small one and have had no issues.
I feel that if Honda says it is alright and safe to use it, then that is good enough for me.
I do make it a point of having the parts man type up what kind of car it is going on on the invoice so if there is ever a failure of the engine that is related to that part, I can have proof that I bought what was recommended.

Back