Thread: Duraflex Hood?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duraflex Hood?

For the past month I've been researching various nsx-R style hoods for the 02+ conversion I'm planning on doing. During my search I came to like the design of the RF Yamamoto hood, which by design seems to have a slightly different dimensioned scoop than the other nsx-r style hoods. But unfortunately, it was out of my budget (thanks A.S. Motorsports for providing me with a quote). Having said that, it pretty much eliminated the Procar and Downforce hoods also, who make exceptionally great products, but are also out of my budget. I really want to give the front end a little flair rather than the stock oem look, however I didn't want to put a hole in my wallet. So, started to research the slightly cheaper brands such as Seibon, Vis, and Carboncreation's duraflex. After I saw pictures of the installed duraflex hood, I noticed the hood was reminiscent of the RFY hood with the scoop being a bit wider. But I know sometimes those pictures are misleading, as some sellers use other people's cars to sell a "said named" hood. After cross referencing prices I came across a company Carbonfiberhoods.com that is based in Southern Cali selling the duraflex hood at a cheap price, which can will also save me on shipping. After speaking with one of their representatives through their website, I wanted to make sure that the pictured hood is what they were selling. They sent me pictures of the hood from their warehouse and this is what they look like.

It looks good from the pictures, but I'm curious if anyone has any firsthand experience with duraflex hoods? How much prep work did it take to get it fitted well? Also if there are any other issues I need to consider? I'm interested in the fiberglass version as I'm gonna be painting it to match the car. I'm figuring for $500 something, I can spend a few hundred more to get it fitted, prepped, and painted and I would still be in a decent budget figure.

I'm looking to buy a hood fairly soon. So if anyone here has any opinions, suggestions, please feel free to comment or send me a PM. I'd really appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Duraflex Hood?

More common problems I noticed on hoods is not how to get it fit properly, but how the hood is actually shaped. I've seen some hoods that are warped on one end and is slightly raised, so you end up one side of the hood flush and the other side slightly raised. There's nothing you can really do about it if that's the case. Best thing to do is to test fit before buying if you can, or shell out extra dough for a reputable company that has good reviews on their hoods.
    1998 Acura NSX-T GPW

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You get what you pay for....I doubt it fits properly

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huck-jai View Post
    More common problems I noticed on hoods is not how to get it fit properly, but how the hood is actually shaped. I've seen some hoods that are warped on one end and is slightly raised, so you end up one side of the hood flush and the other side slightly raised. There's nothing you can really do about it if that's the case. Best thing to do is to test fit before buying if you can, or shell out extra dough for a reputable company that has good reviews on their hoods.
    I agree that many aftermarket NSX hoods seem to fit improperly, but there is not "nothing you can do about it." Are the ill-fitting hoods a function of a low price? Probably, but you can't say for sure.

I bought a VIS hood for $500. I didn't fit well at the front edges, but my body guy made it work. Fortunately we were painting the hood, otherwise the way he bent it to fit wouldn't have been too pretty.

Go with what you can afford and let us know how it works out.
    Ken Crowell
    '91 Sebring Silver
    FSTR N U

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dawk View Post
    You get what you pay for....I doubt it fits properly
    Like the Downforce? I have personally seen two and heard about more DF hoods that fit like shit. And they an't cheap.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CL65 Captain View Post
    Like the Downforce? I have personally seen two and heard about more DF hoods that fit like shit. And they an't cheap.
    The old avatar was strange enough, but this one is downright creepy.
    Ken Crowell
    '91 Sebring Silver
    FSTR N U

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least DF will give you a new one if it does not fit. And I think huck was saying there is nothing you can do if you want to keep it carbon without painting.
    Vendor Page: AP-X Systems
    AP-X NSX Turbo kit - AP-X NSX N/A Exhaust - AP-X NSX Custom subwoofer enclosure
    I stock & install Hugo's P/window upgrade & teflon guides

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As said through out comments I made regarding FRP products:

Shrinkage, prep, Warpage, waviness etc will have to be worked and that includes the HOODS. $$$ for perfection

I have seen just about all vendors hoods on several NSX's over the years and none of them minus a procar hood had the closest to oem fitting. Prices ranged from high to low. Not saying all hoods are this way, a majority are. Best bet, STAY OEM save your cash, avoid headaches or complaining. If you do get good batches and bad, in the end the QA/QC whom inspects it should have a keen eye prior to shipment and varify fitment. This will ofcoarse raise costs. If you don't mind minor of explained cons regarding the hoods then by all means purchase one, ensure you keep your factory hood.

Ex:
    I have a sorcery hood that I paid too much for (Middle man pricing) and it fit like crap. Did I pay for what I got yes and no. I thought quality from pricing, I was wrong. I have seen a VIS NSX hood with better fitment and better quality than my overpriced hood. Nothing against Sorcery just keeping it clear for those interested in hoods.

If you want perfection through aftermarket prepare for spending or have a handy body guy whom you trust and will cut you a deal for it.

I have 65 hours in my hood to make it damn near perfect with gapping, edging, surface prep and material applications. Imagine paying someone to get yours that way per hour costs if your not a body guy. $$$$

Hope this helps

=g=
    Last edited by synergy004; 11-05-2010 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you are located in SoCal, it would be better drive there and test fit it yourself. Then, let us know how it fits, and please take pictures. This could be helpful for those in the future with the same issue.
    Keep Calm and Chive On!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There use to be a guy in Dallas area that could turn your OEM hood into a type R hood. It was pricey and time consuming but in the end you had a perfect fitting hood that was aluminum.
    NSX, making drivers smile since 1991.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidf View Post
    There use to be a guy in Dallas area that could turn your OEM hood into a type R hood. It was pricey and time consuming but in the end you had a perfect fitting hood that was aluminum.
    No longer available.

Feedback Score
    114 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aftermarket hoods = poor fit = $$$ to try to get fixed right = headaches
    Oem = great fit, no headaches

South Coast Acura employee said aftermarket companies must make parts just slightly off on purpose (ie. 1mm tolerance difference) because they are afraid to be sued by Honda for infringement or whatever.

I don't know if this is true, but it kind of makes sense.
    NSX Prime Vendor Listing: AdvansCPAP
    Stocking new/used parts in the USA.
    View current inventory here
    Direct email (weekends/ afterhours): quantex 2 3 at hotmail dot com
    Phone: 714-897-2727 M-F 10:30am - 6pm
    Advans CPAP - CPAP masks and cpap machines to treat sleep apnea.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys brought up a lot of good points. I've heard a lot of fiberglass nightmares throughout my years as an enthusiast, even with reputable companies like synergy004 pointed out. I think many of the "aftermarket" items on the market will have their flaws, however not all. I may or may not have a lot of headaches getting the proper fitment (chances I probably will ), but if it goes well without any headaches I think it would be a good contribution to the community as an option. Given I spend another $500-600 for prep work, I'm still not breaking the bank. I figure in this economy, it just makes sense specially if the hood is gonna have its usual wear and tear of the road; rock chips, dirt, sand etc. I'm glad I actually found a local company that, so I can test it before committing. Relieves me of the headache if I were to buy a hood that I didn't physically see. Generally I like to deal with local vendors so I can see firsthand what I'm taking home, and if there's any issues it can be resolved then.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input on this. If there's are anymore comments please feel free to chime in.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hate this duraflex company.

they used a picture of my nsx (white nsx-r one) with a honda oem nsx-r hood for about 8 months in their ebay add. i contacted ebay and the company requesting that thy stop the false advertising with my oem nsx-r hood, as if it were theirs but they just kept on doing it.

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn you guys are scaring me, I want so badly to get the scooped hood. now what do I do? cut my OEM hood myself to get a better fit LOL

I could buy an OEM hood from prime and do some cutting LOL would probably be cheaper and I might make it look better to. since I would making it myself LOL

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

correction, those bastards are still using my car in their ebay adds. once you open the add, the picture of the white car with the red nsx- r recaro's in the interior is mine. looks like they searched nsx prime or google for pictures as i recognize other nsx's in their add that i know don't have their product.

So if that is not enough to make you not buy from them, i can't help you.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

socalx: I'm sorry for your situation, I hope you can get a resolution to it. During my conversation with a representative of CFH, I mentioned that one of the pictures that are used in the Duraflex ads look like or is the RFY red nsx. The images are misleading, specially the one of your car where its the original oem hood that fits like a glove. Hence the reason I requested images of the actual product.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    At least DF will give you a new one if it does not fit. And I think huck was saying there is nothing you can do if you want to keep it carbon without painting.
    Yes, they will give you the new one, but the new one might still not be perfect fitment either.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socalx View Post
    i hate this duraflex company.

they used a picture of my nsx (white nsx-r one) with a honda oem nsx-r hood for about 8 months in their ebay add. i contacted ebay and the company requesting that thy stop the false advertising with my oem nsx-r hood, as if it were theirs but they just kept on doing it.
    that sucks man. i feel yer pain..both my s2000 and ITR pics were used on ebay ads, and i've seen them pop up on random body kit/parts sites. pretty frustrating!

to the OP, the part looks pretty decent, and upon looking up duraflex on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...Q5fAccessories) and trying not to gawk at the asian chick in the video , it seems like many companies are using duraflex?

since CFH is local to you, i'd just ask to see if they'll let you test fit it?
    2008 AW E92 BMW M3 Ericsson/Amuse/Advans/Vorsteiner/GTS JDM theme
    1994 GPW NSX 02+ Conversion "R" Theme (GONE)
    2007 GPW S2000 ASM/Advan/Zeal/Project Mu/Mugen (SOLD)
    2000 Taffeta Integra JDM front/Endless/Volk/Spoon (STOLEN)

Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the NSX-R style hoods too. I have been kicking around the thought of possibly getting one some time down the road. BUT I definitely would want something that fit right, wasn't cheaply made, etc.

I purchased an aftermarket fiberglass hood for a corvette I owned years back. It was a neat looking dual turbo type hood, but I never did like the fit and it didn't come with any hardware to install it.

From my searches, I was leaning more toward SOS (Science of Speed) hoods. They seem to have a very good reputation with NSX.

Their Carbon Fiber for 91 -01 $875

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...-R_Style_Hood/

I haven't gotten all that serious about one. If and when I am I know I would call to ask all the particulars. Like how easy is it to install? Does a person need to make lots of custom type adjustments, etc. I'm more of a paint it and bolt it on type of guy. To me, I wouldn't want any hood or body part that took lots of work to get it to fit right. I myself would also want one that used original type latches, that worked like stock. I wouldn't do it, if I had to use hood pins, etc.

SOS also has a TAITEC NA2 NSX-R Style Hood - CFRP at $2541

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...-R_style_hood/

I'm thinking I would go with CF over Fiberglass for myself. They do offer fiberglass hoods too and different styles.

For now I'm happy with my stock hood, but a few more chips in the hood and I might get more serious about looking deeper into an R style hood.

I'm interested to see what you come up with and your experience.

Keep us posted and post pictures if you get one and have it on your car.

- Rod

PS. I should have paid attention to your post better, with the 02 conversion you would want their 02 & newer style hoods.
    Last edited by rbilder; 11-06-2010 at 01:57.

Feedback Score
    40 (98%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy004 View Post
    No longer available.
    I'm doing these in Australia. Just finished the first one.
    Last edited by whrdnsx; 11-06-2010 at 04:35. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whrdnsx View Post
    I'm doing these in Australia. Just finished the first one.
    How much to get it done?
    1998 Acura NSX-T GPW

Feedback Score
    40 (98%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huck-jai View Post
    How much to get it done?
    PM Sent.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141962
    Last edited by whrdnsx; 11-06-2010 at 22:35. Reason: more info

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you ever get this hood?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Did you ever get this hood?
    That hood does'nt even show up on the site anymore. I am curious about the VIS Super GT hood though. Looks intresting.
    NSX, making drivers smile since 1991.

User Tag List