• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Automatic Transmission Problems

OK, my trans went out at 109,00 miles
Another auto owner told me his failed at 85,000 miles.

Hard to tell about how long a transmission will last. This is similar to people making claims about how long an OEM clutch would last. I have heard folks posting their OEM clutch died in less than 30K miles others have had it for some 80K to 100+K miles.

It all depends on how hard you drive the clutch or the transmission which most folks don't mention it in their post or may not know based on previous owners' use. For example, I have a 98 OEM clutch with 60K miles and I started tracking my car when it had 2000 miles; have 100+ track days the last 10+ tracks and 15K miles are with a CTSC. According to some, my clutch should have been toast by now. Sure it is not like new but it it still holding up. My point, do your homework regarding how the transmission was used. YMMV.

But if you are looking for a used automatic transmission, here is a post:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142982

This is a follow-up on my trans re-build. The trans was re-built by Irvine Transmission Center in Irvine, CA (Dale). I got the car back on Thursday and took her on the 2010 Cal Coastal Canyon Run yesterday. I did have a scare when my tans gear indicator light started blinking before the drive (this occurred when my tans failed during the HPDE at NSXPO). However, after restarting the car, the light stayed on steady and the trans worked well on the Canyon Drive.

The final cost of the rebuild was $3,080 and the work comes with a 3-year transferable warranty. I will return to the shop in about a week to have the trans re-checked and the fluid replaced to remove any remaining debris. Dale showed me the clutch packs and the ones that went bad had little to no friction surfacing left. The debris from the failed friction material caused other problems, basically in the valve body. Dale’s opinion as for the reason for the trans failure was age, but that tracking the car likely hastened the failure. Dale also stated that the trans will shift a little differently for a while until the computer adjusts itself. If any problems develop, I’ll let you know.

Best,

Mario

Actually, my feeling is that many, if not most A/T "failures" are initially caused by the fact that these trannies do not have a service cover. This prevents normal servicing/replacing of the filter screen (unless you want to remove and disassemble the trans.....)
Especially when driven hard or, as in my case, using the additional power provided by the CTSC, the small wear particles from the clutch packs will quickly clog the filter screen (very fine mesh) and cause the pump to be starved. This in turn will cause hydraulic pressure drops resulting in severe slippage and accelerated wear.
I removed and rebuilt the trans myself, put in new bearings, clutch packs and filter screen. All parts were only about 300. Works great now.
I think I remember seeing something about a trans mod which will allow reverse flushing without removal, thereby cleaning the internal screen. Of course, most of us would not think of doing this mod until after the trans fails.....

Finally a useful thread on the auto tranny NSX. All these comments about it being "weak" don't seem to be true at all. Even a manual could give out after a track event and 109k.

There's another thread from a guy that had his auto supercharged and it ( tranny ) held up fine w/o problems. Oh yeah he didn't do a level 10 upgrade either.

Every thread put's this whole "don't do anything or it's gonna break" mentality into auto owners minds and now that I've researched it that just doesn't seem to be the case.

automatics can be wonderful things, but i highly recommend building it... my 300ZX TT has been built for 550whp, custom valve bodies, high friction clutches, etc... high stall torque converter, billet aluminum flexplate, and a large cooler with electric fan and thermostat... running on Mercedes ATF. very responsive, holds power, and just really fun. i have a big brake kit which helps compensate for lack of engine braking.

my NSX is a manual, but it is simply because i like driving a manual as well. can't say i prefer one or the other. now Ferrari F1... i think that would be ideal, but that is a different experience as well and cannot replace driving a manual, nor can it match the smoothness of an automatic. i like it though because its a manual, but with no clutch. (i don't like the DSG)

You don't like the DSG? What about SMG? Have you tried that transmission?
I have an automatic and don't know if the semi-autos are any good.

You don't like the DSG? What about SMG? Have you tried that transmission?
I have an automatic and don't know if the semi-autos are any good.

i haven't driven the actual BMW SMG because i don't really care for BMW's, but i have driven the Ferrari F1, which is considered the best of the single clutch semi-autos. driving in manual mode is best. putting it in auto is just clunky, though. feels like someone learning to drive a manual.

DSG is a dual clutch and i guess i was using the term generally for all dual clutch semi-autos... they work a lot better in both modes, but i don't like the harsh clutch engagement from a stop. you press lightly on the gas and the car lurches out abruptly... manually shifting these feels like it'd be happier if you just left it alone to shift for you... its never as smooth as a real auto either because it does have gears to shift. don't get me wrong, aside from the harsh clutch engagement, it does everything quite well. DSG is a good option, but i don't see it as a proper replacement for an auto nor a manual. (and that is how it is being used these days)

Back