• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

amp not bad?

The driver side speaker crackels when adjusting the volume from zero to about 6 notches up. The amp was replaced on that side, but did not fix it. Is the head unit bad? Why would only one side do this?

had the same thing happen to me. If your sure the amps and speakers are OK, then it may be your head unit.

mine crackled when adjusting the volume. got a ( like New ) one off e-bay. it had very little out-put. so I switched the fronts channels with the rear channels like a prime member suggested and it works better than it did but I still need a new radio.

its hard to get them, as new they are real expensive, and if you buy it from someone, they say " it worked fine before i removed it " so you really dont know if your getting a working one to start off with.

because they are so expensive people just go after market. plus you can get a new radio with 2010 options. like rear camera, bluetooth, navi etc.

I like the OEM look the OEM radio looks good in the car but many of us wish it did more. or you can send it to heres an e-mail they sent me

Dear Shawn;
For an Acura NSX we can offer you a free estimate for repair. To start the process please put your contact information and a brief description of what is wrong when you send us the unit. Send the unit to:
United Radio Service
Attn: Repairs
5705 Enterprise Parkway
E. Syracuse NY , 13057

If you have any more questions please call 800 448 0944.

Respectfully,
Logan

hope this helps

Shawn

Last edited:
I don't think it's the other amps as it's just on the driver side. The speaker isn't ripped. We looked at it while it was out getting the amp fixed. It's just strange that it only happens during volumes 0 to about 6. After that it's fine, but then it's a little too loud just to have on at that volume.

My OEM stereo does the same thing. Most likely the amp is OK but its just a dirty potentiometer on the volume control. THe volume control is a mechanical contact variable resistor which can build up etchings of carbon where it makes contact. If you can get in to clean it with some contact cleaner is best but thats a pain and it'll likely return. I find that if I just push sideways just a little on the vol control and work it back and forth over the noisy steps it'll mostly clean up the problem, at least for a while.

When I bought my 95 it had a crackle in the speaker system and the drivers door speaker had poor volume. Wil (Angus) told me that it was probably my sub woofer amp, I didn't know how the sub amp would influence other speakers but he seemed to know what he was talking about so I replaced the sub with one of his enclosures and the amp with an external amp behind the drivers seat. No more crackling and what a difference in sound, Wil was right.

So maybe it is your sub amp that is the root cause of the problem?

Brian K? what do you think?

Peter

I occasionally have that problem, too. Try turning the radio off and turning the volume knob back and forth for about 30 seconds. That tends to fix it for me.

My OEM stereo does the same thing. Most likely the amp is OK but its just a dirty potentiometer on the volume control. THe volume control is a mechanical contact variable resistor which can build up etchings of carbon where it makes contact. If you can get in to clean it with some contact cleaner is best but thats a pain and it'll likely return. I find that if I just push sideways just a little on the vol control and work it back and forth over the noisy steps it'll mostly clean up the problem, at least for a while.

If you buy spray contact cleaner at Radio Shack, remove the knob and spray carefully into the shaft area and rotate it back and forth, it will be fine for the next 10 years:):).

Been there, Done that.....

HTH,
LarryB

If you buy spray contact cleaner at Radio Shack, remove the knob and spray carefully into the shaft area and rotate it back and forth, it will be fine for the next 10 years:):).

Been there, Done that.....

HTH,
LarryB

I used this: https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-LABORAT...4900268&sprefix=contat+cleaner,aps,179&sr=8-9

The needle is perfect for dripping the cleaner between the concentric shafts of the pot. I did 2 applications, a few days apart, rotating the knob back and forth each time. Now, the action is smooth and the crackling noise is gone. Perfect :smile:

I used this: https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-LABORAT...4900268&sprefix=contat+cleaner,aps,179&sr=8-9

The needle is perfect for dripping the cleaner between the concentric shafts of the pot. I did 2 applications, a few days apart, rotating the knob back and forth each time. Now, the action is smooth and the crackling noise is gone. Perfect :smile:

The deoxit D100L won't hurt. However, Caig advertises the D series products for cleaning and lubricating on metal contact surfaces. Volume controls are typically non linear potentiometers. Non linear pots are typically fabricated from carbon composition resistive elements with the wiper of the pot running back and forth across the carbon composition resistor. Newish style non linear pots may have carbon is some kind of plastic body. Caig advertises the F product series specifically for use on potentiometers and the like fabricated with carbon non linear pots. If you specifically want to deal with cleaning up your volume controls, the Deoxit F100L available in the same size bottle might be a better choice. If you want to use it for other purposes in addition, then D100L might be the better product.

with the radio off, quickly turn the volume up and down a few times. this could remove some buildup and solve your issue. easy and free so why not give it a shot.

Volume controls are typically non linear potentiometers. Non linear pots are typically fabricated from carbon composition resistive elements with the wiper of the pot running back and forth across the carbon composition resistor.

Last edited:
Back