• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Genesis: the Creation of the NSX According to Honda

Interesting how big of a hassle the spaceframe was for them.

It went through various structural analysis iterations on their Cray. It then went through rigorous testing and field modifications to make it stiffer. Where was STMPO back then to help them improve it even more :wink:

I hope the folks that cut out some of their front light bucket frame material to upgrade to the '02+ front end didn't severely jeopardize their structural integrity :rolleyes:

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the NSX aluminum spaceframe was only designed for a 20 year service life? I wonder what Honda's thoughts are now on the cyclic fatigue and stresses these older ones have seen?

Thanks for the translation.

Dave

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the NSX aluminum spaceframe was only designed for a 20 year service life? I wonder what Honda's thoughts are now on the cyclic fatigue and stresses these older ones have seen?

we have been told 30 years on the frame

Last edited:
Interesting how big of a hassle the spaceframe was for them.

It went through various structural analysis iterations on their Cray. It then went through rigorous testing and field modifications to make it stiffer. Where was STMPO back then to help them improve it even more :wink:

I hope the folks that cut out some of their front light bucket frame material to upgrade to the '02+ front end didn't severely jeopardize their structural integrity :rolleyes:

Dave

That reminds me once of a kid who showed me his Integra. He had been trying to save weight, and decided that the primary structural beams that project out of the firewall (and provide all the crash protection, suspension and engine mount support) was too heavy. He used some kind of hole saw to drill gigantic holes into the side of the beams. He was proud of the weight reduction, noting how thick the steel was and how hard it was to cut. It was massive chassis carnage. I was horrified at the thought of what could happen in a crash, or the first time he hit a big berm on the track at speed.

Last edited:
Thank you for translating this story. It was very inspiring and almost brought a tear to my eyes. I am grateful to own such an awesome piece of machinery and will never sell it, unless it is for another one! :smile:

Perhaps we should start a petition for Uehara-san to write a book? ;)
If anyone has a way to get in touch with Uehara-san, he should know that writing a short book, then self-publishing via Lulu for a small-ish community like ours is a fine way for him to move forward.

Its a no-brainer because its a win-win. He can setup a pre-order page, or someone on Prime can do it for him, so he knows approximately the level of interest (and revenues) even before he begins. Charge what he wants, we're all in!

Last edited:
I would buy the book.

Interesting that Chris suggested to Mr Uehara that he should write a Book about the NSX.....because at the Honda Welcome Plaza/Party in Tokyo, I was getting some items sign by Mr Uehara, and we spoke about some of the challenges that any big Engineering project would have, and how he over came these challenges. I told him that he should write a book about the NSX.... and I suggested that he should Title the book "The Stories Behind the NSX"....His response was... would you BUY IT?. I said of course "I want the first printed copy and signed". he laugh in his typical Japanese manner.

Another Story from NSX Fiesta 2011

Bram

Chris Willson suggested to Uehara at NSX Fiesta 2010 that he should write a book about his experiences with the NSX. Reading just this short history by Honda makes me really hope he does.

Last edited:
If anyone has a way to get in touch with Uehara-san, he should know that writing a short book, then self-publishing via Lulu for a small-ish community like ours is a fine way for him to move forward.

Its a no-brainer because its a win-win. He can setup a pre-order page, or someone on Prime can do it for him, so he knows approximately the level of interest (and revenues) even before he begins. Charge what he wants, we're all in!

That's interesting you mention lulu. One of my fav automotive books, Kimini, was self-published via lulu and I thought it was a phenomenal idea at the time.

So know im wondering if I should set-up that pre-order page? Great idea.

That said, if he was interested I'm sure he'd have no problem getting Honda to help him in every way he wanted.

I guess you could say that the book has been written, not by Uehara-san but by Brian Long, it ss titled "Acura NSX: Honda's Supercar". Brian interviewed Uehara-san many times and the information presented here can be found in the book, they also share more about the different type prototypes they used for testing.

Last edited:
I guess you could say that the book has been written, not by Uehara-san but by Brian Long, it ss titled "Acura NSX: Honda's Supercar". Brian interviewed Uehara-san many times and the information presented here can be found in the book, they also share more about the different type prototypes they used for testing.

With all due respect, Brian Long's is a decent book but it does have significant omissions that other perspectives, such as this one, provide. Long's book doesn't even cover the evolution of the C powerplant or the turbo and V8 alternatives. However, only a few NSX books cover that info.

Back