• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Texas Window Tint Inspection question

So I just moved to Texas and I am going to have to get my nsx inspected in the next month. I just read about the TX tint laws and apparently they test your windows to see how dark they are and I know for a fact mine aren't going to pass. Does anyone from Texas have any insight to any good shops to go who will pass? I was thinking about just lowering my windows and disconnected the power connector inside the door so they can't roll up because there is no regulation that says the windows have to work in the inspection checklist. Any thoughts?

Based on your locations, I assume you guys are in the Air Force. I just got out in June and was stationed at Lackland. I was told I had to register my car in Texas, since I was pulling a paycheck there, but I was also there for 3 years. So it maybe dependent on your time in the state. You don't have to get a TX driver's license, just any valid license and your military ID.

Oh gotcha, so when you claimed Texas residency, you had to get a Texas driver's license? I claimed residency as soon as I got here to Sheppard but my LES nowadays still say Hawaii (previous state or residency). I guess when the paperwork actually does go through I may be required to do the same? I may have to get a license anyway because I think I remember reading a rule where two out of three items: license, registration, and insurance have to be of the same state. At the moment, I still have a Hawaii license, Texas insurance, and Colorado plates.

Corey, worst case scenario not having the windows movable sounds like a good idea.

-Dan

I was a TX resident and all my cars were registered in TX, but I never had to have a TX license. I would go to any Acura dealer for the inspection. They will always try to keep their NSXers happy.

you can also try mom and pop oil change places...stay away from places that ONLY do inspections like sticker stop and such....i live in texas, but bought my car in vegas.... when i brought it back to texas, i made the mistake of taking it to sticker stop...failed the window tint and then they totally violated my car with the sniffer up the tail pipe lol :eek:

if your windows are hella dark, my recommendation is to go ahead and get them retinted...i'm an ex-police officer and some of my other vehicles had the "limo" tint on the driver and passesnger fronts....i would get pulled over about 2-3 times a month...never got a ticket for it of course..professional courtesy...but it just got really, really annoying....so i had them done legally...seeing as these cars tend to stick out amongst the crowd, it'll be just another reason to pull you over, or something to stack on any other violations you get nailed for...nothing is worse than a bored cop...trust me on that one :biggrin:

Well Dan, I am going to call the DMV up in CO and see if I can renew my plates through them, even though I'm not a resident anymore... maybe I can get by :smile: If not, I'll try disconnecting the power to the windows when I get it inspected and say they aren't tinted or tinted above the limit and that I'm getting my window regulators fixed or something. I don't think the inspection stations in bum f*** del rio will be that worried about it. Also Dan, as far as I know, I don't have to get emissions tested in my county so I may or may not be looking into a turbo instead of supercharging :)

When I moved back to TX a few years ago, I had my NSX inspected at a Ford dealership in Austin. They spent so much time on the emissions portion of the test trying to get the tach signal input connected, I don't remember if they even looked at the safety side of the inspection. YMMV.

Miner

Back