• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Things to do in Amsterdam

Hey guys,

I'm going to be in Europe in May for vacation. Staying in Paris for a few nights, and then off to Amsterdam for a few nights. I'm just wondering, is there a tourist site or guide to "things to do" in Amsterdam?... Well, I guess other than the red light district and visiting the local bakery. I've been on tripadvisor and lonelyplanet and need some more suggestions on how to fill up my 4 days.

Thanks
John

I was in Amsterdam about 10 years ago and one of the most unique places that I went to was the "Torture Museum". There are some great art museums and a lot of history to explore.

Nice place to visit. I've been there numerous times, but it was always on business. Lots of great architecture and the people are very friendly. The nice thing about Dutch people is that the all speak about seven or eight languages. Watch out for all of the dog poop on the sidewalks.:biggrin:

Van Gogh Museum
Heineken Experience
Anne Frank's House
Red Light District
Vondel Park.

You can walk to a lot of the above, the dutch are generally very friendly well educated and nice to be around.

Also Amsterdam has great bars and clubs depending on your age and interests.

the canals are nice to cruise,most of the clubs I was in back in the day were so choked with cigarette smoke..I could'nt stand it for too long.Take a side trip to some of the smaller surrounding towns , quaint.

the canals are nice to cruise,most of the clubs I was in back in the day were so choked with cigarette smoke..I could'nt stand it for too long.Take a side trip to some of the smaller surrounding towns , quaint.
Indeed although the cigarette's got outlawed years ago but they might be back in a year though.

Anyway a boat tour is recommended gives you a nice perspective,

If you like historical places you can go to "Zaandam" which is a mile north of Amsterdam and visit the wind mills at the "Zaanse Schans" which is pretty much a museum town of windmills and historic houses from round i guess 1700 or so.

Ton's of tourists there but it can be educative, Well i live nearby so it's pretty boring for me.

Amsterdam has ton's museums so if you like Art there should be enough.
Van Gogh Museum and Rembrandt Museum are well known.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm going to be in Europe in May for vacation. Staying in Paris for a few nights, and then off to Amsterdam for a few nights. I'm just wondering, is there a tourist site or guide to "things to do" in Amsterdam?... Well, I guess other than the red light district and visiting the local bakery. I've been on tripadvisor and lonelyplanet and need some more suggestions on how to fill up my 4 days.

Thanks
John

Visit the Grasshopper Coffee Shop for Sure!! :D
Also visit the museums, go on the Canals and don't buy any cocaine from strangers on the street!! Go to a party and avoid the docks and harbour district at night, you can be robbed easily!!:biggrin:

Let me know when you are here and I can put you on the guestlist for Jimmy Woo (one of the most exclusive nightclubs in The Netherlands).

I work as eCommerce Manager for one of the biggest jewelers in The Netherlands, so if you like watches (we sell IWC, Omega, TAG Heuer, Breitling etc), I can show you some cool models.

Van Gogh Museum
Heineken Experience
Anne Frank's House
Red Light District
Vondel Park.

You can walk to a lot of the above, the dutch are generally very friendly well educated and nice to be around.

Also Amsterdam has great bars and clubs depending on your age and interests.

+1 for all the above

I went to Amsterdam in late Nov and went to all of the above places, including quite a bit of time in the bars and "coffee shops".

Hey guys,

Thanks
John

How was your trip? I'll be in Europe for 2 weeks in August taking a similar route. First, 5 days in Paris and then we will take the rest or our stay to surrounding countries. We were thinking Amsterdam will be one of our stops. Last time (2007) we spent a month there but visited France, Italy, Germany and England. This time we are aiming for Switzerland and Austria/Hungary. Any info would greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Being a Belgian native, I would certainly like to promote Gent (Ghent) and Brugge (Bruges) and maybe Antwerpen (Antwerp) ; they are all very close to one another (within a range of 100 miles) and offer a lot as "once medieval" cities. I know Ghent offers great guided tours.

It's like a 3 hour drive from Paris by car (I am sure you heard a lot about European driving styles), but easily accesible by train (high speed connections like TGV) with train stations in the middle of these cities.

A colleague (also Houston-er) just did Amsterdam /Ghent / Brussels / Keulen/ Paris /Amsterdam by train in about over a week and was pretty thrilled about it.

Fastrunner - if you happen to see a 92 black NSX with wheels & tyres that look very familiar in that area, it's mine (they made it across the ocean OK) !

Having worked a couple of years in Zurich(Switzerland), I would certainly recommend it ; also the more southern cities & lakes (Lago...) near the Italian border. Austria is much of the same (hope I am not offending anyone), but of course you have to have seen Wien(Vienna). I have not been to Hungary yet.

Right now, European weather is pretty grim, so I hope August turns out great, as sunny weather makes a world of difference, whenever/wherever you go on vacation (just went to Greece)

Vincent

Back