• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY: Burnt exhaust tips

The blue "burnt" look is quite popular on exhausts these days. It is a trademark of titanium exhausts but can easily be achieved on stainless steel as well. The blue discoloration is a result of extreme heat. If the metal is heated until it turns red, a blue color appears when it cools back down.

Materials needed:
rags
metal polish
degreaser/soap
blowtorch (propane, butane, whatever)

1. Polish the metal
Before you can burn the tips, the metal must be well polished. When I got my GTLW, the tips were clean and shiny, but had a slight bronze tint to them. The metal needs to look sliver to get the best results. You can use pretty much any metal polish you want. This is what I had in the garage:
sam0346.jpg
(goofy name not required :p)

Apply the polish with a rag and rub it in by hand. Unless the metal is really oxidized. This should only take a few minutes on each tip. If the metal is in bad shape you can always use a buffer.
sam0347i.jpg

When you are done, the metal should look nice and shiny with no discoloration.
sam0350i.jpg

2. Clean the metal
You don't want to have any polish residue left on the metal when you put fire on it. Use your soap, degreaser, or whatever you prefer to clean the metal thoroughly.

3. Heat the metal
Now comes the hard (and fun) part. Ignite your torch and begin slowly heating the metal. Move the flame evenly around the outside of the tip. It will take a while before the metal gets hot enough to glow. Once you have gotten the metal pretty hot, you can slow down and focus on a smaller area of the tip's perimeter. Slowly move the flame back and forth until the metal turns red. I would recommend doing this part very slowly until you know how hot to get the metal. You aren't aiming for light bulb type incandescence here. If the metal gets to hot, it will not turn blue when it cools. It will look the same as normal metal but is oxidized and will not turn blue until you polish it again. The goal is to get a mild glow. If you are uncertain, apply less heat and allow the metal to cool and check the color before proceeding. In terms of heat, the color will vary as follows:

Low heat
slight brass tint
deep bronze
purple-pink
dark blue
light blue
silver
High heat

If you applied the heat correctly, it should look similar to this:
sam0353c.jpg

If you don't get it right the first time, no problem. Simply polish off the discoloration and try again. Just note that removing the blue or second silver color will take significantly more elbow grease than the first time you polished the metal.

If you got the desired look, congrats. Put the exhaust on the car and enjoy a stylish look like this:
sam0357u.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! In before someone catches their bumper on fire!

I wonder who's gonna be first to try doing it with the exhaust on the car...

Excellent writeup, except you're missing one vital part! I'd like to see photos (or a video) of the step where you actually put the flame to the tip to heat it up to get it to change color.

My exhaust tips are oxidized to crap. Wish I could do this without buffing them up first.:redface:
Sucky part is that I've tried all kinds of crap to clean them up, and haven't had any luck yet. Even used Eagle 1 Never Dull wadding. Did absolutely nothing for the oxidization.:frown:

Thinking about just cutting them off, buying new tips. Then do the heat treat similar to what you've done.

Looks good man!

My exhaust tips are oxidized to crap. Wish I could do this without buffing them up first.:redface:
Sucky part is that I've tried all kinds of crap to clean them up, and haven't had any luck yet. Even used Eagle 1 Never Dull wadding. Did absolutely nothing for the oxidization.:frown:

Thinking about just cutting them off, buying new tips. Then do the heat treat similar to what you've done.

Looks good man!

Have thought thought about hitting them with scotchbrite pads or high grit sandpaper? like 2000 grit

Have thought thought about hitting them with scotchbrite pads or high grit sandpaper? like 2000 grit

I may try that this weekend. If all goes well, I may attempt this color changing technique to see what kinda damage I can do. :tongue:

Ok kids, so like I said my exhaust was oxidized and rusty. (embarrassed):redface:

But I cleaned it up using a few items:
Dawn dish soap, and a wash cloth
Sand paper 1500-2000 grit
Arm&Hammer Baking soda
Eagle 1 Never Dull Metal polish

Now, that being said.... I'm not fully done. I've also bought some Mother's metal polish to try out. I still have some of the pipes to clean that are near where they bolt up to my test pipes. But I put some serious elbow grease into these things, and it's been worth it.

Here are my pix. My camera is a peice of crap, but I will "try" and get better pix later.

Hope you enjoy!!!:smile:

This is BEFORE
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is AFTER
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF1002.jpg
    DSCF1002.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 51,449
  • DSCF1003.jpg
    DSCF1003.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 51,114
  • DSCF1004.jpg
    DSCF1004.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 50,988
  • DSCF1007.jpg
    DSCF1007.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 51,076
  • DSCF1008.jpg
    DSCF1008.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 50,738
Last edited:
Still not the greatest pix, but here are two more. It looks much better in person. For some reason, the flash is changing the colors in the pictures. The first pix were without a flash, but they seem a little more fuzzy.

I really need to invest in a decent camera.:rolleyes:
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF1012.jpg
    DSCF1012.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4,574
  • DSCF1013.jpg
    DSCF1013.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 50,399
Last edited:
Still not the greatest pix, but here are two more. It looks much better in person. For some reason, the flash is changing the colors in the pictures. The first pix were without a flash, but they seem a little more fuzzy.

I really need to invest in a decent camera.:rolleyes:
attachment.php

I needed your writeup since my exhaust tips are oxidized to crap also.

Back