• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY Interior Color Stitching

looks amazing!.. and completely oem! kudos for even doing the handbrake!

photo34.jpg

I'm currently doing this mod. I've finished 2 lines. The reason it's taking me so long is that the line would not want to stay on the needle. No matter what kind of knot i'm making, it will come off after a few loops.

Any suggestion?

I'm currently doing this mod. I've finished 2 lines. The reason it's taking me so long is that the line would not want to stay on the needle. No matter what kind of knot i'm making, it will come off after a few loops.

Any suggestion?

Don't bother using a knot. Just run about 2 feet of extra thread through the needle so it doesn't pull off so easily.

i will shamefully admit that i bought the black leather red stitching handbrake cover instead of doing what you did

LOL..I was going to get the same cover on ebay, but didn't like the idea of it just sliding over the original. Plus, the way the stitching looked next to the opening of the button was odd to me. I'd figure I would at least try to do the DIY on the ebrake before anything else. Good thing it worked out for the better.

Just looked at the ebay link. What the heck are you suppose to do with over 3,000ft of left over thread?

There gotta be some better option. Who got left over thread and willing to share? Ill pay shipping.

Don't bother using a knot. Just run about 2 feet of extra thread through the needle so it doesn't pull off so easily.

LOL..I was going to get the same cover on ebay, but didn't like the idea of it just sliding over the original. Plus, the way the stitching looked next to the opening of the button was odd to me. I'd figure I would at least try to do the DIY on the ebrake before anything else. Good thing it worked out for the better.

How did you do the E-brake. did you just weave it like the rest of the car or did you take the cover off completely. I was looking at my steering wheel and e-brake and couldn't figure out how to do it(easily)

Did anyone else have issues with the thread wanting to knot up on its self? That probably slowed the project down the most for me.

How did you do the E-brake. did you just weave it like the rest of the car or did you take the cover off completely. I was looking at my steering wheel and e-brake and couldn't figure out how to do it(easily)

Did anyone else have issues with the thread wanting to knot up on its self? That probably slowed the project down the most for me.

I didn't do the steering wheel. Doing the ebrake is the same as everything else. It can be done without having to take anything off. Just move the lever down when getting to the base. Knotting up is normal. You just have to go slow and unravel the thread as it tries to tangle when weaving it. That's why it takes hours on end to get done.

Thanks to the OP and others for sharing your pics for this mod. I just only finished the driver's side door panel. I will have better pics after I complete the whole interior.

looks good!

that looks BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLLL

love the black + tan!

cant wait to see more.

Thanks to the OP and others for sharing your pics for this mod. I just only finished the driver's side door panel. I will have better pics after I complete the whole interior.

6828069901_2d22260be1_z.jpg

Great DIY!

A tip for everyone who has the OEM steering wheel and shift knob. Remove the original thread with the help of this tool:

Can be found at your local sewing detail store. A sharp knife will do aswell. Then restitch following the OEM stitch pattern, using a thread of your choice and dual needles. Don't worry, the leather is actually glued to both the steering wheel and shift knob so it will stay on during this procedure :biggrin:

Really easy and can be done in-car and I think it would look really nice! Now who's gonna be first?

Last edited:
what about the seats?

Anyone decide to do this contrast stitching DIY on their stock seats (covers)?

Also, another question as I didn't come across in the DIY's/suggestions in this thread, and just want to make sure: does the contrast stitching penetrate the surfaces or just it's just "woven" through the already present original thread?

I have a question for those who have done this restitching themselves (or are still busy with it).

I purchased a set of the Recaro Pole Position seats with leather upholstery, so I have started with these since there are still in my living room.

Bought the red T135 thread off Ebay and started the redoing over the existing thread.
One of the things I noticed is that the thread seems to become undone after a while. It seems to unravel itself after having been pulled through so many loops.
I am a bit worried that by the time I have finished, the thread will just not look right any more and I will have to redo the whole thing again.

Is there a way to avoid this unravelling of the thread?
I am taking this very easy and very carefully, so it's not like I am yanking the stuff through all the time?
I am even using a magnifying glass to avoid damaging the leather on the seats.

The problem I had was with it twisting. You have to let it untwist every ~10 loops or else it becomes a mess and will try to unravel on you.

6828069901_2d22260be1_z.jpg

I was just gonna say while clicking through that I want to see people do other colors and bam, there you go. Looks good.

Imagine blue, silver, imola orange.....

This is a great idea... especially for the NSX, being that it is a reversible mod.

Since I don't have an NSX, I'm going to be trying this on my TL. Only bummer is that there's no dash or console stitching like in the NSX.
Satin Silver Metallic w/ black interior. I ordered the Silver/Gray thread from that ebay seller. I'll post pictures when it's done. :)

Prime, thanks for the idea!

Wouldn't it be pretty hard to re-stitch those pieces by hand and have them come out as tight and as clean as the originals?

Are they just a "simple" baseball stitch?

Yes, simple baseball stitch. Don't reupholster them, just cut the original thread, pull it out and restitch with new thread. It will look just as tight and snug as OEM, since the leather i glued to the steering wheel and won't come off.

Or you can reupholster them with new leather for a fresh new factory look while you're at it. Take a look here at britlude's wheel and knob job:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8624

Back