• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY Interior Color Stitching

I have been wanting to do this mod for awhile now. But, I have Ivory interior. I wonder what colour thread I should use for contrast? Any suggestions?
Your car is black/ivory correct?

Black stitching is the obvious call to continue the black & white theme, but you really have a bunch of options given the neutrality of your colors. A tan/copper/gold colored thread could give it a nice subtle contrast, same thing with a silver or grey thread. You could do the red stitching although your car may end up looking like a baseball :p I'd say if you had the red stitching you would want a few other red elements in the car to help out.

Personally though, I'd probably go with either a silver/grey or just black. Just my 2 cents.

*edit *
Totally spaced out (that's what I get for posting while still working!) and forgot what the Ivory looks like. The no brainer is a nice ivory thread, and then maybe light grey, silver or tan if you want to tone it down:

4055NSX_Interior.jpg

Last edited:
Black thread guys, really?

DeVinci13, you should go with an off white thread close to the ivory color or wait to see OyATL"s finished interior. The color he chose looks in between the tan and ivory in the pictures.

Mike

Last edited:
Have any of you restitched the shift knob yet? The thread I got for my dash is way too thin for that. I'm wondering what size stuff I need to order. I'd just buy an ITR knob but the one I have now is from an 03 so it has the perforated leather which is nicer than the ITR knob (and it doesn't have the stupid shift pattern on top).. it just needs the red stitching.

These are ivory seats....

2695865376_d8463b1685.jpg

Yes, the black thread would look great. And in contrast you can do a light tan/ivory thread on the other black sections of the interior :cool:

I know what ivory looks like. I was talking about the console, dash and doors. That's what 90% of the pics in this thread are showing.

Mike

i really like this, simple but OMG i dont know if i could sit through it for that amount of time

i really like this, simple but OMG i dont know if i could sit through it for that amount of time

I did mine about an hour at a time over several days. It isn't that bad. You only have to do it once!

But looking back, are people really suggesting black for the rest of the interior? It..already is... :confused:
Hey now, don't be too harsh I already mentioned my brain was clouded by doing work and did correct my post shortly after making it. I was just thinking of the ivory parts more than the rest of it.

Was playing around last night and ended up with this. It was easy since it was off the car. Not bad.
2012-04-20235653.jpg

Underside
2012-04-20235623.jpg

Hey now, don't be too harsh I already mentioned my brain was clouded by doing work and did correct my post shortly after making it. I was just thinking of the ivory parts more than the rest of it.

lol
Got to keep up with work, so you can buy more parts :biggrin:

Mike

I re-stitched my shift knob a couple nights ago. I got size 207 bonded nylon thread and it seems just right. The knob actually had 2 sets of stitches on it originally which is why it looked so thick. It took me 2-3 hours from start to finish but it was definitely worth it.

I did this one half at a time so I could use the original thread as reference.
A seam ripper helped removing the old thread go much faster.

A $6 spool of thread and some of my time while watching TV beat spending $127+ on the ITR knob. My knob is nicer since it has perforated leather. I already had the curved needles from doing the dash.

feffbca1.jpg

I'll take a better picture next time I get the car out in the sun.

cozmo,

shift knob looks great.
i'm a little hesitant bout undoing the stitch to re-stitch in red. seem complicated.

It was way easier than doing the dash thread actually. I was hesitant too but I figured if I destroyed it I'd just buy the ITR knob. It is pretty hard to screw up since the holes are already there. It was also nice that you don't have to sit in the car while you work on it. :cool:

then let me be more specific... black thread on ivory seats... off white thread (or light tan) on the dash, doors, any other black interior components in which black thread already exists. :biggrin:

Leatherseats.com. They have a thread in the vendor section.

I saw a DIY on a RSX forum a while back. They were using a needle and upholstery stitch to change the color of thier stitching on the seats. I thought it would be a good idea to change the color of my interior stitching and match my seats, steering wheel, boot, and ebrake (RED). I went out and spent $10 on needles (bent) and stitch. It took over 10 hours to finish but the result looked amazing. This a very easy DIY mod, just takes patience and time. Take a look and see:
IMG_20110218_132233.jpg

IMG_20110218_132147.jpg

IMG_20110218_132213.jpg

IMG_20110218_171111.jpg

IMG_20110218_171043.jpg

IMG_20110218_170958.jpg

IMG_20110218_171007.jpg

Thank you for sharing your creativity. My future project for sure!
Thanks!!!

I finally got a pic of my re-stitched shift knob installed.

IMG_4777.jpg

Back