• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY Interior Color Stitching

Yeah I did mine over several days an hour or two at a time. You only have to do it once!

yup and it is reversible.

Getting ready to come out of hibernation, this is one of the last extended winter projects.

Started with the drivers door card. Popped it off as usual then decided to get as good a factory look as possible, I would go the next stage and strip more of the Card. Flipped the card over and from the rear removed all the screws plus the normally hidden box section to link the vents. This releases the outer edge of the door card. With this removed you can access the very end of the factory stitch lines. Three bright silver screws allow removal of the elbow pad.

Then as others have done, tie a knot and away you go. All done then reverse the above process. Total time taken, a little under 3 hours.

When I do the other side I'll add photos (forgot this time) ....

Thanx also go out to Scott for sending over his needle ... Works really well.

Regards, Paul

Any more pictures of black/tan interiors with this done?

I just got my thread (off-white). Ready to start doing this little by little each weekend.

What type of needle do I need to buy?

You need an upholstery needle. It's curved which is essential. You can pick one up at any craft store (hobby lobby, michael's, etc). My advice is to remove the door cards. That way you can work on them during down time (i.e. Watching TV, etc). Do a low vis area on the passenger side first to get the hang of it. The more you do it, the better you get. And keep the string tight! More than once I had a thread spontaneously knot on me and had to start over. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice Brett. Where can I find thorough instructions on how to remove the door panels? Sounds like the way to go but I don't want to break any clips or get weird rattles in the future.

10 hours is about right. I've got the passenger side door card and all of the dash but still have the pilot side door card to go. I have a mile of yellow thread left. Pictures to follow when completed.

Done! Here are a couple of shots;
View attachment 111614View attachment 111615View attachment 111616

I think it came out well. Ten hours is about right. I did this with the door cards on the car. The "diamond" stitching on the door cards and seats were already there from the restoration when I bought the car. But the stitching that I added really makes it stand out. Great mod. Now what do I do with three miles of left over yellow thread?

Yeah looks good. I think I have 5 or so spools of red since I ordered several colors to make sure I got one that was just right.

The steering wheel thread seems similar to the stuff on the e-brake boot. I'm not sure how well it'd work. I got myself a Zanardi wheel instead which already has the red threads on it. I also redid the stitches on my shift knob so it may be possible to cut the threads and replace the stuff on the steering wheel completely rather than loop around the existing thread.

Done! Here are a couple of shots;
View attachment 111614 View attachment 111616

I think it came out well. Ten hours is about right. I did this with the door cards on the car. The "diamond" stitching on the door cards and seats were already there from the restoration when I bought the car. But the stitching that I added really makes it stand out. Great mod. Now what do I do with three miles of left over yellow thread?

I cant see clearly enough, however, on the door card 'double stitch' line, the threads appear to travel the same direction. Yet looking at the Airbag section of dash, the weaved yellow 'appears' to have been stitched in opposite directions. Is/was this intentional and does if so

The weave follows in different directions as the bottom line I stitched "upwards" & the top line I stitched "down". I followed this same direction on both door cards & the dash so it would flow seamlessly. Sorry, couldn't resist the pun!

Last edited:
Yeah that looks pretty classy. Nice job!

I did the alignment on this car. I have to say this car is pretty nice in and out. The stitching is beautiful!:wink:

Thanks Tyler, Cozmo, Valhalla and myw, I appreciate the compliments. Nsxprime makes it hard to stop modding my NSX, I get inspired from seeing all the things people do, especially seeing Tyler try 30 types of rims and each one magically looking better than the previous one.

Back