• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY Interior Color Stitching

Did mine over my winter break. I just did the french seam that runs from the console/dash and then to the doors. Looks awesome. Took me about 10 hours to do that much. The biggest PITA is definitely around the gauge cluster as the thread keeps getting looped around the steering wheel and stalks.
IMG_1582 by blodi, on Flickr
IMG_1583 by blodi, on Flickr
IMG_1584 by blodi, on Flickr

This looks great!
I'm thinking about getting the red stitching for my silver car with black interior, since I've got red seats.
Instead of starting from the end of one path, and going all the way to the other end, wouldn't it make more sense to measure out sufficient thread, start from the halfway position of the whole path, and work one way until you finish it off, and then start the opposite side? That way you only need to worry about half the amount of thread that you would need to weave each time you needle it through the OEM thread? Less tangle, less time, and less work. I think that's what I'm going to do.
If anyone still has miles of red thread, I'll buy some off of you instead of purchasing 1500 yrds of thread I'll never use again.

I took off my steering wheel yesterday, and upgraded to the 2002+ perforated wheel in excellent condition with Euroboutique.
Since it'll be a few days before I go back to the body shop, I had some time to tinker around with it while watching/listening to some comedy stand-up last night. It's a little more aggressive than what I've seen other owners do, but I like the way it looks and feels. I've only done the upper part of the wheel so far. Will try to finish the rest of it tonight.

cfcc2c59ebc0a28815132fe03b50a278.jpg

057cbc380eb85048fe47cc03a4cff3e7.jpg

Btw, the method I suggested before about starting halfway makes a big difference in time-savings. I had much less to pull through, which also made a difference in how much less it would twist up as you pulled.

I took off my steering wheel yesterday, and upgraded to the 2002+ perforated wheel in excellent condition with Euroboutique.
Since it'll be a few days before I go back to the body shop, I had some time to tinker around with it while watching/listening to some comedy stand-up last night. It's a little more aggressive than what I've seen other owners do, but I like the way it looks and feels. I've only done the upper part of the wheel so far. Will try to finish the rest of it tonight.

cfcc2c59ebc0a28815132fe03b50a278.jpg

057cbc380eb85048fe47cc03a4cff3e7.jpg
Looks good. I just picked up a oem steering wheel and airbag to test out, see if I like it, prior to sending it to Rick at Euroboutique. After getting a good set of Michelin tires paired with the momo 320 mm steering wheel, the car overseers like crazy. I will probably opt for the thicker grip. Carbon only on horn buttons and cruise control. With leather all the way around. Airbag and wheel...

I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks guys.

Two more progress pics.
Need to make the final row of cross stitches for the bottom two sections of the wheel.

46a12968a0e4c11461c56db1cbbec45b.jpg

a53799c8e6f7a1ebd02b6aa0954f5828.jpg

Finally done. Added a center marker using the thread. Very reversible. One snip to take it off.

6e61a9bbcd7e07706df603d5f9ca7230.jpg

4ee132957c62ef77247e6424a098dc91.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Teej.
I can't wait until I get my car back so that I can do the rest of the interior.

I used the thread. Just wound it side by side very tightly. Let me take a close up pic of it.

d8d8b60606378a2ad0a43e2fed326128.jpg

Last edited:
The DIY interior stitching looks great. I really want to do it, but I am far too impatient. I wonder if I could hire someone from the Home Depot parking lot to do this for me?:biggrin:

It really is laborious. Luckily, I didn't have to do it inside my car, unlike the rest of the interior stitching. Taking it off and doing it in the comfort of my EZ chair while watching/listening to something made it pass pretty quickly. Obviously, doing the rest of the car will not be nearly as comfortable, so I don't look forward to contorting my body to stitch the dash, doors, and other panels. The trick is to do a little at a time and rest.

Last edited:
It really is laborious. Luckily, I didn't have to do it inside my car, unlike the rest of the interior stitching. Taking it off and doing it in the comfort of my EZ chair while watching/listening to something make it pass pretty quickly. Obviously, doing the rest of the car will not be like as comfortable, so I don't look forward to contorting my body to stitch the dash, doors, and other panels. The trick is to do a little at at time and rest.
Absolutely... I have learned from growing older, it is all about comfort.:cool:

I totally agree.
Yikes regarding my grammar. Damn autocorrect from my phone via tapatalk.

I totally agree.
Yikes regarding my grammar. Damn autocorrect from my phone via tapatalk.
Loan me your Gemballa for the day!:biggrin:

Back