• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Metal Key

I have seen in many posts and on eBay a groovy looking metal key for the NSX. All of the info suggests that the key is for a 1990-1996 NA1. Does anyone know if an equivalent exists for a NA2 ?

Leong

NA2 key contains a chip.
There's no such thing as an "NA2 key". NA1 and NA2 are engine codes that refer to the 3.0-liter and 3.2-liter engine.

There are two types of keys used for the NSX. The '91-96 models (all of which are NA1) used a conventional key that was cut to fit, and any key that shape would work. I even have one made of plastic that will start my car just fine.

The '97-05 models (including both NA1 and NA2 models) use a key in which an electronic chip is embedded in the head of the key. This chip is read by the immobilizer security system in the NSX. If there is no chip - and there wouldn't be, in a solid metal (or solid plastic) key - the car won't start.

There's no such thing as an "NA2 key". NA1 and NA2 are engine codes that refer to the 3.0-liter and 3.2-liter engine.

There are two types of keys used for the NSX. The '91-96 models (all of which are NA1) used a conventional key that was cut to fit, and any key that shape would work. I even have one made of plastic that will start my car just fine.

The '97-05 models (including both NA1 and NA2 models) use a key in which an electronic chip is embedded in the head of the key. This chip is read by the immobilizer security system in the NSX. If there is no chip - and there wouldn't be, in a solid metal (or solid plastic) key - the car won't start.

:wink: oops..revision... 1997+ models contain a chip.

Just wondering, is Zanardi NSX key contains a chip?

just thinking out-loud...

The actual Honda/Acura immobilizer chip is presumably very small, a flattish rectangular thingie that is (at most) 1/8" x 3/8" (and 1/16" thick); I'm not sure if it's wedge (like late-model remote-fob keys) or pill-shaped (like those keys w/ the large diameter head & center cavity encased w/ an inner translucent shell housing the immobilizer chip). I presume it can fit into the keychain-ring hole on the Monel (a.k.a. unobtanium) "titanium" NSX key, and still some space left-over. I believe these immobilizer chips (on keys that aren't remote-fobs themselves) are proximity based (ie. key is inserted into the ignition, immobilizer chip in the head of the key is close to the ignition, etc).

I'd say the best way to test this out would be to get a generic inexpensive key-blank cut as a duplicate to the existing immobilizer-chip equipped key. Then insert this chip-less key into the ignition, place the original key w/ the immobilizer chip next to the head of the duplicate key already in the ignition. Turn-the-key & if it starts... it's all good, then go out & drop $75-$100 for the Monel key, get it cut, remove an immobilizer chip from one of your original 'donor' keys (perhaps the valet key) or goto Walmart (they now sell immobilizer keys & pre-program them for you; I imagine it's more economical than the dealer).

So, how to remove the immobilizer chip from a key w/o damaging it (ie. chip)? Heat, box-cutters/exacto-knife & pliers!

Then, how to affix the immobilizer chip to the Monel key's keychain-ring hole? I'm thinking some sort of non-caustic/non-volatile contact-cement or filler-adhesive (Krazy-Glue, epoxy-resin, etc might be reactive to the immobilizer chip). For the daring, emply a handheld Dremel/rotary device & make a slot in the Monel key, insert the chip, then use a metal filler-compound to seal & sand/polish the surface... :)eek: <-> :D)

I'd say the interwebz would be informative on this DIY, if it's even possible for this exact application. Otherwise, it's routinely done w/ late-model Honda/Acura vehicle OEM keys by enthusiasts wanting a more modern OEM switchblade key.

Last edited:
I have had a NA1 metal key milled to take an immoliliser chip so that it works on the NA2's.

The chip can be bought and programmed by most locksmiths who have the facility to copy chips; cost ~ $15

The key was milled for me by Mallard Signs & Engraving 7 Macbeth Street Braeside Vic 3195 www.mallardsigns.com 03 9587 2587. They still have the template software so if anyone is interested they can contact them. Any engraver/sign maker with a CNC milling machine can do it but will have to start from scratch though.

Note that if you decide to do it the position that I have the chip in is the only position that will work, I have tried various positions and all others are too far away from the reader in the steering lock.

Enjoy !!

Leong

Attachments

• NA1 Key (1).jpg
    NA1 Key (1).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 600
  • NA1 Key (2).jpg
    NA1 Key (2).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 580
I have had a NA1 metal key milled to take an immoliliser chip so that it works on the NA2's.

The chip can be bought and programmed by most locksmiths who have the facility to copy chips; cost ~ $15

The key was milled for me by Mallard Signs & Engraving 7 Macbeth Street Braeside Vic 3195 www.mallardsigns.com 03 9587 2587. They still have the template software so if anyone is interested they can contact them. Any engraver/sign maker with a CNC milling machine can do it but will have to start from scratch though.

Note that if you decide to do it the position that I have the chip in is the only position that will work, I have tried various positions and all others are too far away from the reader in the steering lock.

Enjoy !!

Leong

That's awesome. Did you cover up the chip with bondo + paint after placing it in the key? I'm very tempted to try that.

That's awesome. Did you cover up the chip with bondo + paint after placing it in the key? I'm very tempted to try that.

No I did not. You will note that the key surface/plane at that location is not level; the chip actually sits a little proud (< 0.5mm) at the end near the key stem. You cannot mill any deeper which you will need to do in order to fill/sand/paint as you will run out of material. I did try and sacrificed a key blank !

Leong

I wonder if you can do this titanium key on an NA2 running stand alone EMS. With the factory computer gone, the immobilizer system should also be deactivated...Which would allow use of a titanium key!

No I did not. You will note that the key surface/plane at that location is not level; the chip actually sits a little proud (< 0.5mm) at the end near the key stem. You cannot mill any deeper which you will need to do in order to fill/sand/paint as you will run out of material. I did try and sacrificed a key blank !

Leong

You could, though, mill through and then float the chip in epoxy, right? Might take a little bit of an artistic hand to pull that off but would be pretty satisfying too!

Back