• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alarm problem

The last few times I unlocked the doors and open the door, my alarm goes off.
I noticed that when I lock the door the LED in the driver door is not blinking any more.
And a few times after I locked the doors u hear a clicking noise from what i belave the power door locks for about 2 seconds.

I have a 1991 Honda NSX, with the factory alarm, don't have a remote.

If I lock and unlock the passengerside door, the alarm doesn't go off !
The LED in de driver door still doesn't blink.

Is this a faulty relais ?
or is it a faulty door switch in the driver door ?

It's a little embarrassing when the alarm goes off everytime......

there is a switch that goes bad in the doors, its an easy fix

take off interior door panel, pull back the plastic cover,

look down at the long rods that go down from the door handle

in the service bull. it shows your what part needs to be replaced.

take the part off its held in place by a cotter pin. once removed use a flat head screw driver to crack the plasitic housing open it up clean the connections with some fine grit sandpaper I used 1300 shine the connections till they are perfect.

now heres the tricky part.

the 2 prongs you need to bend them a little, since you were pressing on them to sand them you need to bend them out a little.

its OK to over bend them as when you press the housing back together it will bend them back to the level they need to be at.

now once you have them back together, you will need to use a soilder gun or hot glue gun to re-seal the housing together.

I used a soilder gun and folloewed by a small peice of electrical tape to cover the seal.

now putting it back into the door is easy. BUT the cotterpin you removed
will not go back in with out a fight. I used a paperclip bent to the right length and insert bend the tip so it never falls out and your done.
the first door will take you about 1 hour to do.
the second door will take you about 15 minutes as the first door you did was your learning door LOL

hope this helps.

I had the same issues, mine happend 3:AM not cool.

has never done it again, was done 2 years ago.

did u replace the door switch or cleaned it up ?

It difficult to see in the pictures of the link how it's exactly done.

I just cleaned it up.

I dont know if you can order this part. its worth a shot.

I dont know how much it will cost for the dealer to do this but I am sure it will cost a chunk.

if you can order the aprt its def DIY kinda job. just take it slow on the first door. and the second door will be faster.

I didnt take pics of my install normally i do but it was kind of a no brainer LOL

when you have the part in your hand, you will see its a sealed device.

not intended to be opened, so when you slowly crack it open the housing
will break. its ok use the flathead screw driver and you can pry it open.

once cleaned put it all back together and use a soildering iron to melt the plastic back in place. when your holding it in your hand everything I am telling you will make perfect sense.

then use a piece of electrical tape to wrap around the new melted plastic as extra protection to the device.

if you take pics of the process and post them I can walk you thru it.
I am on prime all day long so I can reply very quickly

I have a day off on june 3, so I can fix the switch then.
For now I have disconnected the plug for the switch under the bonnet.
So no alarm for now.

When the time comes I will take some pictures and I will ask for your advice :biggrin:

so mine is now acting up.

If I am reading the above link correctly, do I unplug the hood release switch.

If I unplug that, how do I open my hood? Or is there another way to disable until I have the time to repair?

I must be missing something

Adam, turn the key firmly to the unlock position and you will not have a problem with the alarm... at least I didn't after it went off on me a couple of times back when I bought it, 5 years ago. Good luck.

Shawn is a godsend for all of us!

when you have the part in your hand, you will see its a sealed device.

not intended to be opened, so when you slowly crack it open the housing
will break. its ok use the flathead screw driver and you can pry it open.

once cleaned put it all back together and use a soildering iron to melt the plastic back in place. when your holding it in your hand everything I am telling you will make perfect sense.

then use a piece of electrical tape to wrap around the new melted plastic as extra protection to the device.

if you take pics of the process and post them I can walk you thru it.
I am on prime all day long so I can reply very quickly

I actually come thru from time to time.

lol glad I could help.

It happend to me 3AM and if you have ever opened your hood
during the alarm, you almost have to wear ear plugs cuz its so loud.

Refer to TSB page two your just replacing the switch no the latch assembly part number at end of page two 72154-SL0-A01 price is around 160-190 dollars.

So buying two 72154-SL0-A01 will fix it?

I actually come thru from time to time.

lol glad I could help.

It happend to me 3AM and if you have ever opened your hood
during the alarm, you almost have to wear ear plugs cuz its so loud.

That is true regarding the volume. I learned my lesson, and I keep ear plugs in the car along with a flat head screw driver so that I can quickly unplug the (3) horns at the front of the car so that I can address the issue in quiet, even if the alarm continues to be activated. No horns, no deafening noises. :)

- - - Updated - - -

So, back the original issue. Is that fault part at all related to why on my NSX if you arm the alarm with the OEM keyless entry key fob, but unlock the car with the actual key, the stupid alarm goes off like crazy?

Back