• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pics of Andy's BBSC with Novi 2000 and air/water cooler

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
Pics of BBSC with Novi 2000 and air/water cooler

Here are the pics of Andy Vecsey's car with the Novi 2000 upgrade and air/water cooler. I will let him provide any commentary and answer any questions.

108-0874_img.jpg

108-0875_img.jpg

108-0876_img.jpg

108-0877_img.jpg

108-0878_img.jpg

108-0879_img.jpg

108-0880_img.jpg

108-0881_img.jpg

108-0882_img.jpg

108-0883_img.jpg

108-0884_img.jpg

108-0885_img.jpg

108-0886_img.jpg

108-0887_img.jpg

I have not had a chance to measure the change in boosted air temperature yet. Prior to the aftercooler being installed, we drove the car around in Phoenix. Ambient air temperature was 80°F. We plugged a data scanner into the OBD-2 diagnostics port to monitor a variety of parameters. I think the highest temperature was 148°F downstream of the Novi 2000. One of the other cars had discharge temperature from the Novi 1000 at 183°F.

I have a handheld laser pyrometer. This weekend, I will shoot the housing of the Paxton and the inlet of the throttle body, to compare temperatures for actual numbers. Qualitatively, I can offer this. You cannot rest your hand on the housing of the Paxton after it has been boosting for a while. However, you can comfortably rest your hand on the center core of the aftercooler. Obviously, this is largely a function of ambient temperature, which this morning was 48°F.

The polished aluminum tank against the bulkhead is for the engine coolant. The reservoir the size of a coke can zip-tied to the strut bar is for the aftercooler coolant.

Targeting 450 RWHP = 510 FWHP. Unlike the other BBSC kits that employ the Novi 1000, the Novi 2000 is a better fit for low compression (9.5 with JE pistons vs 10.2 with factory pistons) engines. I think the Novi 1000's nameplate capacity is 850 CFM vs 1150 CFM for the Novi 2000. Also, instead of 440 injectors, mine are 550's. The inlet is fabricated of smooth aluminum duct. There is a K&N cone filter behind the LR wheel well liner.

Regarding the mounting of the aftercooler reservoir, we didn't have time for the machinist to fabricate brackets, thus the zip-ties. I will have aluminum mounts made. Nonetheless, the resorvoir has to be where it is, so that it is the high-point in the coolant circulation system.

My car has electric power steering. On manual steering cars, the ideal location for the aftercooler coolant circulation pump is behind the steering's rack-n-pinion.

Keep in mind that we literally worked on the car right up to the day we caravaned from Phoenix to NSXPO, as well as one afternoon at NSXPO. Therefore, some of the fitment issues cited above will be worked out over time, now that Saint is back home.

Originally posted by tunapie:
Also, what temp drop are you getting?

As measured today with a laser pyrometer, 30°F cooling.

Can you ballpark me a figure on the total cost. Mine ran around $1,000 in parts. Interesting, if you add up the MBSC, aftercooler and AEM ecu or what ever it takes to get these FI systems working right. What is the talley. Dan

I haven't gotten the invoice yet, but mine is expected to be close to your cost.

Don't know about an update timeframe; however, I will point out a not-so-salient feature of aftercooled BBSCs.

All but two of the BBSCs to date have the Paxton Novi 1000 blower. The casing outlet points to the back of the car. From there, a 90° elbow routes the air directly into the throttle body.

Of the two aftercooled Novi 2000 applications, mine is one of them. While the outer casing of the 2000 is larger than that of the 1000, there is a more important feature to consider when aftercooling a BBSC - which way the casing outlet points. Mine outlet is not only lower than the others, but the outlet points directly towards the left side of the vehicle. This allows for routing of the air into the aftercooler from the bottom. If you click on the URL in the opening post of this thread, picture #3 shows this well.

This next paragraph is written purely on my recollection from NSXPO 2002, how the Novi 1000 is plumbed. If desiring a subsequent aftercooler upgrade, perhaps turn the 90° elbow from the 1000, 180° so it now points to the left of the vehicle. The air can enter the aftercooler on top and a return tube will route air into the throttle bottom from beneath.

All this to say, that a direct bolt-on of an aftercooler to a Novi 1000 has some challenges associated with it. At a very minimum the aftercooler inlet-outlet is different than that of the Novi 2000 setup. Alternative is to employ the same aftercooler inlet-outlet, but order a different out casing from Paxton. Either way, there are fitment challenges.

The housing swap would require the blower to be sent back to Paxton due to the shimming required between the compressor and the housing. Dan

Thanks for the information Andy. Very good reading.
Dumb questions now.
What is the difference between 1000 & 2000.
Can a 1000 be upgraded?
Where can aftercoolers be purchased that are adaptable to the BBSC.
Is MB working on a aftercooler for the original purchase group? Me being one.

Novi 1000 has a nameplate capacity of 850 CFM; whereas, that of the Novi 2000 is 1150 CFM.

My aftercooler is based on a Spearco core, with fabricated inlets-outlets.

Back