• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

I bet SIRI isnt perfect either.

No, I doubt if ANY software is perfect. It does have to reach a level of utility and have minimal mistakes. And you really can't compare it to Vlingo.

I'm sure there will be a damnyousiri.com where they will post super hilarious stuff that Siri does. :biggrin:

Siri as a feature will go either of two ways. 1. It will be a neat tech demo for a while, fade from the spotlight, and finally become part of the accessibility features of iOS. Or 2. It will form a platform and have an API that continually gets better and better. It's knowledge base will grow, and a hundred years from now, you'll be asking Siri to plot a course to Alpha Centauri in your warp capable starship.

No use speculating until we try it.

I'm sure there will be a damnyousiri.com where they will post super hilarious stuff that Siri does. :biggrin:

Siri as a feature will go either of two ways. 1. It will be a neat tech demo for a while, fade from the spotlight, and finally become part of the accessibility features of iOS. Or 2. It will form a platform and have an API that continually gets better and better. It's knowledge base will grow, and a hundred years from now, you'll be asking Siri to plot a course to Alpha Centauri in your warp capable starship.

No use speculating until we try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MKRwV3DTVLo

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FUEG7kQegSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FUEG7kQegSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
no doubt some truth in that well-done video :)

mossberg and pogue (believe it is) both have extensive reviews of the 4s and ios5 in today's wsj and nytimes. some great, some catch-up and some underwhelming ratings given to the latest phone and os.

i'll likely upgrade one of our 3g phones to ios later today to make sure it's (i'm) copasetic and assuming that works ok, i'll do the same with our other iphones and ipad.

Really? Why cant I?
of course, you can compare it to anything you want (say, a brick, watermelon, mclaren f1), but whether it's a fair and valid comparison or not remains to be seen.

we have vlingo on our ipad and it works on a rudimentary basis on a number of things ... it can fire up email for dictation, find directions to most *specific* requests i make, tell me what time it is / weather in another city - for what it does (or what *i* know it can do), it's pretty cool - and it was free! (iirc)

i haven't seen much of the siri stuff, but from what i gather it not only understands context, etc, but communicates (listens / speaks) with the operator. my experience with vlingo is context understanding is somewhat limited and it's not yet talking to me, though that's no doubt in it's future.

i think the progress being made in mobile devices is uhmazing and will only improve over time, regardless of the os / device manufacturer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/t...phone-4s-conceals-sheer-magic-pogue.html?_r=1

Some of Pogue's thoughts on Siri...

Speech recognition.

Crazy good, transformative, category-redefining speech recognition.

Exactly as on Android phones, a tiny microphone button appears on the on-screen keyboard; whenever you have an Internet connection, you can tap it when you want to dictate instead of typing. After a moment, the transcription appears. The sometimes frustrating on-screen keyboard is now a glorified Plan B.

Apple won’t admit that it’s using a version of Dragon Dictation, the free iPhone app, but there doesn’t seem to be much doubt; it works and behaves identically. (For example, it occasionally seems to process your utterance but then types nothing at all, just as the Dragon app does.) This version is infinitely better, though, because it’s a built-in keyboard button, not a separate app.

But dictation is only half the story — no, one-tenth of the story. Because in 2010, Apple bought a start-up called Siri, whose technology it has baked into the iPhone 4S.

Siri is billed as a virtual assistant: a crisply accurate, astonishingly understanding, uncomplaining, voice-commanded minion. No voice training or special syntax is required; you don’t even have to hold the phone up to your head. You just hold down the phone’s Home button until you hear a double beep, and then speak casually.

You can say, “Wake me up at 7:35,” or “Change my 7:35 alarm to 8.” You can say, “What’s Gary’s work number?” Or, “How do I get to the airport?” Or, “Any good Thai restaurants around here?” Or, “Make a note to rent ‘Ishtar’ this weekend.” Or, “How many days until Valentine’s Day?” Or, “Play some Beatles.” Or, “When was Abraham Lincoln born?”

In each case, Siri thinks for a few seconds, displays a beautifully formatted response and speaks in a calm female voice.

It’s mind-blowing how inexact your utterances can be. Siri understands everything from, “What’s the weather going to be like in Tucson this weekend?” to “Will I need an umbrella tonight?” (She has various amusing responses for “What is the meaning of life?”)

It’s even more amazing how Siri’s responses can actually form a conversation. Once, I tried saying, “Make an appointment with Patrick for Thursday at 3.” Siri responded, “Note that you already have an all-day appointment about ‘Boston Trip’ for this Thursday. Shall I schedule this anyway?” Unbelievable.

of course, you can compare it to anything you want (say, a brick, watermelon, mclaren f1), but whether it's a fair and valid comparison or not remains to be seen.

we have vlingo on our ipad and it works on a rudimentary basis on a number of things ... it can fire up email for dictation, find directions to most *specific* requests i make, tell me what time it is / weather in another city - for what it does (or what *i* know it can do), it's pretty cool - and it was free! (iirc)

i haven't seen much of the siri stuff, but from what i gather it not only understands context, etc, but communicates (listens / speaks) with the operator. my experience with vlingo is context understanding is somewhat limited and it's not yet talking to me, though that's no doubt in it's future.

i think the progress being made in mobile devices is uhmazing and will only improve over time, regardless of the os / device manufacturer.

There is no question siri is more advanced than Vlingo.

That being said, the things i was impressed with about siri -- like being able to send a text message from voice, or an email. When I saw that, I didn't know about Vlingo. Turns out you can do all of that stuff right now. And it works very well.

I personally do not care to ask my phone what the weather is like. I can see it on the screen much faster than holding down the start button for 2 seconds.

Ultimately, would I love siri on a BB. Sure. Looks good, but how useful it will be in daily life is still to be seen.

I am sure the fanbois here will argue, but in reality they haven't used it other than watching some videos.

There is no question siri is more advanced than Vlingo.

That being said, the things i was impressed with about siri -- like being able to send a text message from voice, or an email. When I saw that, I didn't know about Vlingo. Turns out you can do all of that stuff right now. And it works very well.

I personally do not care to ask my phone what the weather is like. I can see it on the screen much faster than holding down the start button for 2 seconds.

Ultimately, would I love siri on a BB. Sure. Looks good, but how useful it will be in daily life is still to be seen.

I am sure the fanbois here will argue, but in reality they haven't used it other than watching some videos.
ditto: i didn't know about vlingo until 4s/siri was compared to vlingo and another tool. i find it handles txt mail pretty well ... no major complaints on those tasks from me.

i can imagine lots of uses for a voice input device, siri, vlingo or powered-by-watermelon and look forward to seeing siri in action when the hubbub has subsided a bit.

ditto: i didn't know about vlingo until 4s/siri was compared to vlingo and another tool. i find it handles txt mail pretty well ... no major complaints on those tasks from me.

Vlings on BB is actually really nice because you can use "VLINGO everywhere", so you just what you want and it types it for you regardless of what app you are in.

I think most of these things will be most useful for hands-free driving, unless you want to look like a tool in public talking to your phone all day.:biggrin:

Vlings on BB is actually really nice because you can use "VLINGO everywhere", so you just what you want and it types it for you regardless of what app you are in.

I think most of these things will be most useful for hands-free driving, unless you want to look like a tool in public talking to your phone all day.:biggrin:
cool and, yep :)

Anyone put iOS5 on last night?

I put it on my wife phone. None of her apps were there after the upgrade. :mad: I had to redownload them all from "the cloud". A few of her apps no longer work right... the only one that mattered was the SunTrust Bank app. Hopefully that is fixed soon. What a pain.

Other than that, the notifications is very nice, but I couldn't tell any difference besides that.

I put it on my iPhone 4 last night. Everything seems to be working normally this morning but I haven't had a chance to see what all is new. Taking it slow, still haven't updated my wife's Mac to Lion or put in on the iPad or her iPhone 3gs so nothing to play with on the cloud. I have a MobleMe sub so I guess I have to migrate that also.

Anyone put iOS5 on last night?

I put it on my wife phone. None of her apps were there after the upgrade. :mad: I had to redownload them all from "the cloud". A few of her apps no longer work right... the only one that mattered was the SunTrust Bank app. Hopefully that is fixed soon. What a pain.

Other than that, the notifications is very nice, but I couldn't tell any difference besides that.

It's easy to miss but apps and media are restored in the background after the upgrade. So you have a blank looking phone but the apps are still transferring back in. I suspect people see that the phone looks like it is working and done with the upgrade and disconnect to start using it before the process has actually finished.

Last edited:
I upgraded my iPhone 4 last night too. I'm really liking the new notification system. Haven't tried iMessage yet, since my friends haven't updated their phones yet. I already migrated from MobileMe to iCloud. I have a tethered jailbreak, but most of the tweaks still need to be updated for ios 5

yup, and supposedly it's still beating 1.2 Ghz dual core powered android devices in benchmarks.

We will see what happens when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out for the Galaxy Nexus. Right now the dual cores are not being optimized on Gingerbread.

Back