• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

From what I read, the major new functionality is widgets and a revised notification system similar to the palm pre.

Should be good.... but WIN 8 is really looking awesome. Be intersting to see apple play catch up for once.

Win8 does look interesting, specially for tablets. I don't know about desktops running that UI. I've read you can still run it as "classic" windows as well, but all the touchscreen interface won't work as great on a desktop IMO.

From what I read, the major new functionality is widgets and a revised notification system similar to the palm pre.

Should be good.... but WIN 8 is really looking awesome. Be intersting to see apple play catch up for once.

So, you're saying Apple has always been in the lead? :biggrin:

The Win 8 video looked interesting and some of the animations looked cool. However, I'm not convinced this will scale up and be useful on most PCs (laptop and desktop).

For example...

How does one make gestures with a mouse?
Will PCs require trackpads?
Can you revert to conventional "classic" mode?

There seems to be a lot of tricky gestures to remember, will the typical PC user just turn off this interface? And what about the typical PC Windows user? Will this just be a too radical of a step for these customers? Could be a very risky move.

The "Metro" tile interface, as is the case on their phone, takes up a lot of space without much content. On the phone there are, what are there - 6 tiles visible at any time (compared to 16 or 20 for the iPhone)? There's just a lot of finger swiping required to navigate the interface of a WinPhone that has a lot of programs (not apps) installed.

And this is still waaaaayyyyy off in the future. MSFT has a habit of making big annoucements and then deleting features and watering down capabilities come release time. Who knows where Apple will be by then?

And it's still going to be the same old, creaky underlying architecture under it all (i.e. registry).

We just have to wait and see.

I suspect this preview was mostly to divert all the bad press that Ballmer has been getting lately.

-J

So, you're saying Apple has always been in the lead? :biggrin:
-J

Apple is a leader.. no question. Everyone is usually trying to catch up... ie iphone, ipad. Even windows has been trying to get more OSX like.

I agree about the desktop uses of what we have seen with Win8. We'll see.

Apple is a leader.. no question. Everyone is usually trying to catch up... ie iphone, ipad. Even windows has been trying to get more OSX like.

I agree about the desktop uses of what we have seen with Win8. We'll see.

I'm a droid guy....and it seems that apple's run will come to an end, they all do

I'm a droid guy....and it seems that apple's run will come to an end, they all do

I don't know... I beg to differ. It seems like paper (papyrus) and ink still seem to be en vogue. It's still on a good run. :tongue::biggrin:

Windows 8 may be Microsoft's Waterloo

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/06/03/windows.8.may.decide.microsofts.fate/

When Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer called the new Windows his company's riskiest bet, not many knew what he meant. The reveal of Windows 8 was laying those cards out on the table: it's a belief that tablets will not only be popular but the primary way to compute. We're of the mind that, much like Waterloo in 1815, the stakes are so high that it's an all-or-nothing fight -- and while Microsoft win, Ballmer might also be Napoleon.

Nobody is around forever. All great empires fall eventually.

The biggest difference between Apple and the rest IMO is that Apple is truly an innovative company.

the conversation is bigger than just phones- its about the software running on all sorts of different hardware- phones, tablets, desktops, laptops ect.

FWIW- I like Apple, and I have several Apple devices, but those are in addition to the windows machines I run- each has it's purpose, and having a mix accommodates the shortcomings you can find with either operating system.

as for the Data Center in NC- I worked on that project, so I know what they have going in there from a bandwidth perspective. It's nothing other Fortune 500's don't have.

P

the conversation is bigger than just phones- its about the software running on all sorts of different hardware- phones, tablets, desktops, laptops ect.

FWIW- I like Apple, and I have several Apple devices, but those are in addition to the windows machines I run- each has it's purpose, and having a mix accommodates the shortcomings you can find with either operating system.

P

Same here. I can't only have OS X. I have to have both. I don't run boot camp on my mb simply because I have a desktop PC to handle PC needs. Also, my MB is old and would have a difficult time doing it. I need to upgrade to a pro.

I'm not a huge Apple guy, but I do own a few of their products. While I don't think they're entirely innovative in features (UI is where they stand out in innovation), I do think they have the most polished products and that contributes the most to their success. iOS may have its drawbacks, but for everything it does have, it does well and without bugs.

I enjoy toying with Linux, Maemo, Meego (got bored with Android), but iOS and Mac OS definitely gets the job done for when I need it. I mainly use them for media and specific editing tasks.

Last edited:

I agree. It seems to me Android is the 1990s Microsoft of of smartphones. It's wide open, you can do anything with it. The iPhone is locked down and all you can do is click on icons. The iPhone is nice and all, but I bet it suffers the same 5% marketshare fate that OSX has.

This is a great time for computing, both desktop and mobile. Used to be everything sucked to some degree and your choice was often what sucked the least. These days there are choices and they're all pretty damn good.

I agree. It seems to me Android is the 1990s Microsoft of of smartphones. It's wide open, you can do anything with it. The iPhone is locked down and all you can do is click on icons. The iPhone is nice and all, but I bet it suffers the same 5% marketshare fate that OSX has.

The iPhone has a lot more than 5% of the market share.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-ne...umbers-apple-is-flat-google-going-strong/2387

rROEW.jpg

Which is pretty good when you consider there are only 4 versions of the iPhone with the newest being almost a year old.

The real amazing stat is the percentage profit Apple has in this same market.

What is that percentage? And how does it compare to the others?

I will have to find the link, but Apple has just over 1/2 of all the profits in the smartphone market.

-Jim

Wow, lots and lots of stuff being announced this afternoon.

Yeah, pretty much now it can do what android already did. Which is good I suppose.

Ps. I hope you all have Unlimited Data Plans for iCloud.

Last edited:
Android who?

The amount of integration in the iCloud offering is pretty amazing. Far beyond what I was expecting. I expect most of the heavy bandwidth use will be over our LAN. Remains to be seen how the telco networks stand up to this.

I think Apple is knocking another one over the fence today.

Well, Apple WAS innovative..... nothing innovative at all today. Pretty much copies of stuff already out there. Android, BBM, Dropbox etc. etc.

BUT I am sure fanboys will think Apple just invented all that stuff.

Today's announcements were all about integration. Making everything available all the time and every where, regardless of where it was created or where you are and making it as automatic as possible. Invisible to the user to the degree that it's possible.

You might be able to most those things today (although I'll disagree about "all") with Android or a jailbroken iOS device, but it's a rat's nest of vendors and methods that must be maintained apart from the software that came with the device. The advantages of having this stuff right out of the box are attractive to me. I don't want to mess with my phone, tablet, and laptop, I just want them to work.

Last edited:
Back