• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

This I understand. If you've bought in to the iTunes world, there's no need to actually upload your music, as it's all already in the cloud. Just identify what you own, and iCloud will provide it to you on all your devices.

Now, how this would help someone like me, who has never purchased a single track from iTunes and has over 500 GB of ripped music, I am unsure.

Ripped music will have the same benefits as music purchased from iTunes. Like it has already been mentioned, songs that are matched by iTunes will be added to your account and appear as purchased songs and will be able to sync to your other devices.

Songs in your library that are not in the iTunes catalog will be uploaded to the cloud, and then you can also sync to your other devices. That includes live recordings, songs created by you, etc.

Some of the benefits of iTunes Match are, upgrade lower quality songs to 256kbps AAC DRM-free songs, fix/add missing ID3 tags, fix/add missing album artwork, legitimize "pirated" songs or adquired elsewhere. Not a bad deal for $24.99 a year, specially for those with large music libraries. Like you, pretty much all my songs came from other sources. I've only purchased one (1) song from iTunes, and that's because I couldn't find it anywhere else at the time. The only other music I've gotten from iTunes are podcast mixes which were free and there are plenty of them in the iTunes Store.

Oh yeah, once you cancel iTunes Match, you still keep those songs, as they will be treated as purchased songs.
I guess that's why Apple payed a hefty sum to the record labels to make all this happen.

Last edited:
You can do this with Windows Live SkyDrive and you have 25gb of storage

Kind of...

I could be mistaken, but I don't know of any phone/tablet that allows images to be saved directly to SkyDrive. Maybe this will now be planned for Windows Phone?

Also, isn't SkyDrive essentially a shared disk on the cloud? It doesn't push files down, right?

-Jim

Ripped music will have the same benefits as music purchased from iTunes......fix/add missing album artwork .....

Yeah, I thought this was pretty cool. My music library is mostly ripped from CD and doesn't have album art. It's not a big deal, but since the album art is displayed so nicely on my iPhone/iPad it would be a real nice thing to have - along with the higher data rate where possible.

OK, so then you're not editing local files (files actually residing on your HD). I thought you might have some way of editing the local cache file.

I don't think Dropbox operates the way you think it operates. From their FAQ: It may come as a surprise, but your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer. Files located in your Dropbox folder are actually still on your hard drive!

I don't see how you are experiencing speed issues from a Dropbox folder that would not also be evident on any other folder on the same drive. Between an SSD and a mechanical drive; yes that would make sense. But nothing specific to the Dropbox folder, I would think.

Kind of...

I could be mistaken, but I don't know of any phone/tablet that allows images to be saved directly to SkyDrive. Maybe this will now be planned for Windows Phone?

Also, isn't SkyDrive essentially a shared disk on the cloud? It doesn't push files down, right?

-Jim

On all windows phones under settings, you can have every picture taken automatically upload to SkyDrive or you can choose an individual picture manually.

Improvements coming out for the wp7:

http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-details-windows-phone-mango-skydrive-improvements/

My music library is mostly ripped from CD and doesn't have album art. It's not a big deal, but since the album art is displayed so nicely on my iPhone/iPad it would be a real nice thing to have - along with the higher data rate where possible.

I have also ripped my music library mostly from CD. Windows Media Player automatically finds album art (I thought iTunes does this as well?), and so that is available to me on portable devices without iCloud. Also, I usually rip at 320 kbps MP3, so converting this to 256 kb AAC would not be a benefit to me.

I'm really trying to figure out what's so awesome about iCloud, but honestly it does not seem to provide me with any functionality that I haven't already been enjoying from other services for years now.

I have also ripped my music library mostly from CD. Windows Media Player automatically finds album art (I thought iTunes does this as well?), and so that is available to me on portable devices without iCloud. Also, I usually rip at 320 kbps MP3, so converting this to 256 kb AAC would not be a benefit to me.

I'm really trying to figure out what's so awesome about iCloud, but honestly it does not seem to provide me with any functionality that I haven't already been enjoying from other services for years now.

Actually, iTunes does find album art for your songs that are ripped from CD's and they have in their catalog. Most of my music is not ripped from CD's as a lot of it is electro, some of my older stuff was even "ripped" from records for music that was only available in vinyl for DJ's.

iCloud lets you sync and download songs in your library without having to upload all your songs to the cloud. This is great for us that have HUGE libraries. I have 100+GB of music, others have even more, uploading all that, even with broadband would take a considerable amount of time. I'll buy that, given that all their other online services are free now, with no ads might I add.

If you don't own an iPhone or iOS device then I can see your point. Right now, if I take photos on my iPhone I have to sync with my Mac and then sync my iPad with my Mac - and then maybe have to re-sync the iPhone just in case any new files were uploaded from the iPad. iCloud will solve this problem. And as always, Apple is always trying to make this stuff really easy for the average Joe.

Oh, everytime you plug your iPhone or iPad into the AC charger - it automatically turns on the iCloud syncing connection.

It wouldn't do for Apple to offer a solution where you first needed to download a 3rd party app in order to obtain basic functionality that should be built in from the get-go. So, all my friends and family who are not computer saavy, will use this stuff and it will just work without any setup or training. Nice.

The next part of the puzzle that Apple and the 3rd party developers have to tackle is collaborative or workgroup editing.

(Moses, Microsoft needs to update their SkyDrive web pages and mention Win phone auto-uploading)

Last edited:
Here is a really informative article on the cloud. Covers Amazon's EC2 and other architectures and where iCloud fits in.

http://tidbits.com/article/12222?rss

From the article: "Thanks to its connections with Mac OS X and iOS, iCloud may turn out to be one of the most significant developments in the history of consumer operating systems and devices." (emphasis mine)

Hyperbole much?

From the article: "Thanks to its connections with Mac OS X and iOS, iCloud may turn out to be one of the most significant developments in the history of consumer operating systems and devices." (emphasis mine)

Hyperbole much?

Hmm... and it was from what kind of site.... oh.. yes.. an apple news site.

Last edited:
iCloud lets you sync and download songs in your library without having to upload all your songs to the cloud. This is great for us that have HUGE libraries. I have 100+GB of music, others have even more, uploading all that, even with broadband would take a considerable amount of time. I'll buy that, given that all their other online services are free now, with no ads might I add.

I just got an invite for Google Music Beta, and installed the app on a test computer. It started uploading all of the music files, one by one -- that computer only has about 200 songs on it, and it took about an hour. Therefore, on my main computer, with 86,653 songs (just checked), it would take about a month.

Except that those songs comprise 523.1 GB, and the Comcast bandwidth cap is only 250 GB/month. My normal usage is about 30-40 GB/Mo (call it 50 to be safe) so even if I can meter it it would take three-four months to get my music collection into the "cloud".

Clearly, Apple has the Right Idea in this regard.

I just got an invite for Google Music Beta, and installed the app on a test computer. It started uploading all of the music files, one by one -- that computer only has about 200 songs on it, and it took about an hour. Therefore, on my main computer, with 86,653 songs (just checked), it would take about a month.

Except that those songs comprise 523.1 GB, and the Comcast bandwidth cap is only 250 GB/month. My normal usage is about 30-40 GB/Mo (call it 50 to be safe) so even if I can meter it it would take three-four months to get my music collection into the "cloud".

Whoa, Jobs wasn't kidding when he said it would take weeks to upload your music! :eek:

86,653 songs!:eek:

Last edited:
:eek::eek::eek::eek:
+ 1,000

gad zooks!!!
Fairly simple equation. Tech obsessed youth + love of music + too much money = many, many CDs purchased throughout the 1980s and 90s. I bought my first two CDs in the summer of 1983 (Yes' 90125 and The Cars first album), and pretty much didn't stop until I started having kids in 1999. All those CDs take up space, so I started ripping them and putting them into storage.

Net, 86,000+ songs.

Here's an observation about iTunes + iCloud -- since iCloud doesn't actually upload the music file, how much metadata would it take to fake it out? If I create blank files and stick in metadata that says it is The Beatles' White Album, can I trick iCloud to giving me the real songs, for free? iCloud must key off of more than just the metadata, but given different encoders (LAME vs Xing vs Fhg, for example) and different bit rates it seems hard that anything in the data itself would be uniquely identifiable. This could be interesting...

Last edited:
They probably use some kind of audio fingerprinting, much like the technology youtube uses to scan videos for copyrighted music.

i can't help but think josh would have some valuable insight on this.

Back