• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

Be curious to hear how the faithful feel about this story:

For Apple, Yesterday’s Banned Apps Are Tomorrow’s Great New Feature

At the time Tap Tap Tap snuck in that feature, Apple was against dual-purposing the button. Fair enough.

Now that Apple has reconsidered their position and decided to use the volume button for their camera app then I would expect Tap Tap Tap would be able to re-submit their app with that capability.

If Apple denied this change, after they used it themselves, then yeah, that would indeed be crappy. But I doubt that is going to happen. As long as Apple is consistent, then I have no problem with their decision.

Either way, I'm sure Tap Tap Tap is pretty happy with their effort. They sold $3 million worth of the app. Pretty sweet.

Just read the rumor that Apple will start selling unlocked GSM iPhones this week. Hmmm....

New MacBook Airs are coming soon as well.

-Jim

Just read the rumor that Apple will start selling unlocked GSM iPhones this week. Hmmm....

-Jim

Not sure really why that will matter since after the merge with T-Mobile there isn't much need for an unlocked GSM phone.

Can anyone tell me why the iPhone supports ad hoc network and no other phones do?

If the dude doesn't like it, he can go work at any of the other hundred stores in the mall...

...and get paid a lot less.

I agree 100%.

Last edited:
It seems to be an oversight on Android's part. If you google, there are ways to get around this limitation. It'll probably be natively supported once enough people complain about it...

Well, I need it on my BB and unlike a droid, you cannot just root it and hack it. So that sucks for me.

Arshad, are you still developing for iOS? Android?

How would you compare the development space and marketplace between these two OS's?

Arshad, are you still developing for iOS? Android?

How would you compare the development space and marketplace between these two OS's?

Haven't actively done anything on iOS in about a year, but starting to get back into it again. I've thought long and hard about Android, but at this point I'm still shying away from it.

From a development perspective, it's a LOT of work to port between iOS and Android, so I need a good business case to do it. On the surface it seems like a no-brainer, but there are a lot of issues with actually making money on the platform. If you google around or talk to Android developers, there are a lot of headaches with consistent revenue model/payment processing, sales, etc.

It's all about opportunity cost. Do I spend the resources porting something to Android or develop something new or improve on an existing product under iOS. Which one has the better return on investment? Right now I'm betting on iOS, but if I think I can overcome the issues with Android I'll wholeheartedly jump on board.

Interesting article on the recently awarded iPhone patent. Could be an issue for Android and a few others.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387401,00.asp

...There are a few ways the awarding of Apple's iPhone patent could play out in the coming days, said the source.

Apple could conceivably restrict makers of touchscreen smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices from selling their products in the U.S. More likely is that Apple would reach a settlement with such competitors and start licensing its patented technology for a tidy new income stream.

If Apple does decide to play hardball and squeeze out rivals rather than set up cross-licenses, the source said, it's entirely possible that a court could find it in the public interest to scrap the patent rather than allow a monopoly on what has become a defining interface for an entire category of consumer devices. ...

-Jim

Interesting article on the recently awarded iPhone patent. Could be an issue for Android and a few others.

This quote was interesting to me:

"The way to read a patent claim is that it's only infringed if the accused technology is implemented in its entirety—all of the characteristics must be matched," [said Florian Mueller, an award-winning intellectual property activist].

Since no other device out there mimics iOS "in its entirety", it would seem to me that Android is likely safe from this patent. There are certain similarities between iOS and Android, but there are many, many differences as well.

The other issue with tech patents is how long they take to fight versus the speed of change in technology. By the time an Apple vs Google fight is resolved (including appeals), technology will have marched many generations past what was being fought over.

Why I dumped my 4G Android for an iPhone

He makes some fair points. Some of his complaints about iPhone will be addressed in iOS5, so it'll be interesting to see how the battle rages once that's released.

Good read. I think iphone is by far the simplest to use. Android just doesnt seem polished. I am looking forward to seeing iphone 5

Went to the Apple Store (King of Prussia Mall, PA) today. Sunday afternoon, beautiful weather outside, the mall was pretty much vacant... Except for the Apple Store. Amazing.

Saw tons of iPhones and iPads being purchased. Several iMacs.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Back