• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car surges,idle goes very low and almost stalls when coming to a stop.

2004 3.0 automatic nsx had timing belt,v/c gasket,oil pan gasket,valve adjustement,drive belts,o2 sensor replaced,cel light came on after repairs,found timing off,corrected car ran perfect for a week and then idle started going very low when coming to a stop. I returned the dealer who performed cleaning of throttle and replaced corroded battery cables complete, I declined the easier repair of replacing the end connectors.
vehicle again ran awesome until recently when idle drops and almost stalls when coming to a stop and surging at a stop with foot on the brake....any
ideas of what could be wrong ?

Very often this kind behaviour is caused by a vacuum leak.
I would inspect all the vacuum lines for cracks/tears, not unusual to occur when old dried out lines have been (forcefully) pulled off their connectors for engine work and installed again.

+1 on the likely-hood of a vacuum leak.

Might want to check that throttle body as well to make sure they did a good job of cleaning it(it should look as clean behind the throttle blade as it does in front of it).

new throtle body installed,felt the difference from the minute i left dealership..

I have this issue... what was the cost of this?

It's rare that TB's just wear out unless the shaft was worn causing vacumn to seep through, still it's rare. Did they give any indication what the issue was? I would guessed the IAC bad.:confused:

My car does this when its time to clean the TB..... when I clean it, its fine for a while but then the issue comes back... not sure what i can do about this as its really annoying... :frown:

i had the idle drop issues after my timing belt disaster and it took two or three synch procedures (thats after correcting the timing as well) for the TBA to behave (SOS took care of it, NA2 ODB II related stuff). it is possible that after the service the TBA wasn't metering right but replacement of the unit with corresponding proper install 'coincidentally solved' the problem. has the tech tested the assembly? you might have a good used TB for sale

Last edited by a moderator:
My car does this when its time to clean the TB..... when I clean it, its fine for a while but then the issue comes back... not sure what i can do about this as its really annoying... :frown:
If Im correct, the vapors from the crankcase are recirculated through the TB thus after time gunking it up. You may have an unusual situation on your hands if yours dirtys up rather quickly. I cleaned mine 4 years ago and though I have'nt checked it since, my car idles perfectly...........Knocks on wood!

The surging has been fixed and the low rpm's when coming to a stop has been fixed with new throttle body. The idle will be perfect until car is warmed up then it idles a little rough when in park but when in gear it's perfect, i just said screw it i will live with it..
as far as how much the throttle body cost ? it was replaced under warranty,I guess they kept the old one..the tech wanted to replace idle control valve ? but it does not come seperate..so they said..i dint care I was not paying for it..I still think It can be better (idle) but i do understand car is not going to idle like a lexus...who wants that anyway lol ! but i think it can be better,car is under warranty for 2 more years,i will drive til next oil change and see how it goes !!!
canadian grand prix sunday !! Lewis hamilton will take it !!

The surging has been fixed and the low rpm's when coming to a stop has been fixed with new throttle body. The idle will be perfect until car is warmed up then it idles a little rough when in park but when in gear it's perfect, i just said screw it i will live with it..
as far as how much the throttle body cost ? it was replaced under warranty,I guess they kept the old one..the tech wanted to replace idle control valve ? but it does not come seperate..so they said..i dint care I was not paying for it..I still think It can be better (idle) but i do understand car is not going to idle like a lexus...who wants that anyway lol ! but i think it can be better,car is under warranty for 2 more years,i will drive til next oil change and see how it goes !!!
canadian grand prix sunday !! Lewis hamilton will take it !!

thanks what year is your car?

my car is 2004... i bought a warranty (acura care) before vehicle went out of factory warranty in 2008 it's under warranty til 2013 or 113k miles..i got 60k miles :)
a coolant frlush was performed when replacing timing belt..should i have coolant flushed again ?

Is a 2005 throttle body compatible with a 95 TB? They're both drive by wire and OBD II..... thoughts?

I had this issue after switching to the foam/oil Unifilter for better airflow. Inside of the TB became oily/dirty and plugged a couple of critical vacuum passages. Pulled rubber airbox boot off of TB, gently "misted" carb cleaner (heavy spray can damage engine...be careful) into intake at 2500-3000 rpm high idle. Once cleaned, surging/stalling stopped and I went back to stock paper air filter. No problems since...Uni on car shelf in garage...

I had this issue after switching to the foam/oil Unifilter for better airflow. Inside of the TB became oily/dirty and plugged a couple of critical vacuum passages. Pulled rubber airbox boot off of TB, gently "misted" carb cleaner (heavy spray can damage engine...be careful) into intake at 2500-3000 rpm high idle. Once cleaned, surging/stalling stopped and I went back to stock paper air filter. No problems since...Uni on car shelf in garage...

I had this issue too and have the paper filter in... it worked for a while but now the idle drop issue is still there...... grrrr :mad:

read my post above about the tb synch.

on another note- i swap between uni and kn on regular basis with no issues at all.

Back