• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just Converted My AEM EMS to flex fuel

I just got done doing this conversion on my Lotus 7, but it would work on any AEM EMS equipped vehicle. I no longer have my NSX but if I did I would have done the conversion on that car as well.

With E85 stations always popping up and then disappearing, I needed to have the ability to fill up with pump gas or E85 at any time, with any amount of the "other fuel" left in my tank. For some of you, I know that switching over to E85 is just not an option since you don't always have access to it.

Well how would you like to convert your EMS to a flex fuel ECU?

Well its possible. All you need is a Zeltronix E85 gauge and a trip to the junk yard to get a flex fuel sensor off of a equipped vehicle. I got mine off of a Suburban. THANKS CHEVY!

So far I am LOVING it. The ecu responds great to whatever amount of ethanol is in the tank. I can have 1/4 a tank of ethanol and put in pump gas, and the EMS fuels back the car...or be at half a tank of pump gas, and I decide to throw in some E85 to turn up the boost, its no problem the ECU compensates.

So now you know. It can be done. The conversion is not cheap, but is possible. Hope this opens up some new possibilities to those FI NSX's that daily drive there NSX's or road trip them and need to have the ability to run both fuels to produce BIG NUMBERS.

JR

Can you add some more information on what is needed?

A flex fuel sensor off of a GM equipped car....and a flex fuel sensor translator to convert the ac frequency to a 5v out-put signal.

JR

PS. What you need to do is bug DEVIN from AEM about why aem won't build the translator into the AEM series 2 software. :)

Last edited:
A flex fuel sensor off of a GM equipped car....and a flex fuel sensor translator to convert the ac frequency to a 5v out-put signal.

JR

PS. What you need to do is bug DEVIN from AEM about why aem won't build the translator into the AEM series 2 software. :)

For tuning do you tune on pure e85 and pump gas and then the software interpolates between the 2 based on the percentage of each? how does the software handle deciding how much fuel the engine needs.

For tuning do you tune on pure e85 and pump gas and then the software interpolates between the 2 based on the percentage of each? how does the software handle deciding how much fuel the engine needs.

You tune one map perfect, and then have the ECU modify that map based on a percentage of ethanol that is, or is not present.

So you can tune pump perfect and have it add fuel for ethanol that is found....or tun E85 perfect and have it pull fuel and ethanol is not found

JR

Interesting.....

I run both E-85 and 91 octane.
But I have a switch to change from one to the other.

I just got done doing this conversion on my Lotus 7, but it would work on any AEM EMS equipped vehicle. I no longer have my NSX but if I did I would have done the conversion on that car as well.

With E85 stations always popping up and then disappearing, I needed to have the ability to fill up with pump gas or E85 at any time, with any amount of the "other fuel" left in my tank. For some of you, I know that switching over to E85 is just not an option since you don't always have access to it.

Well how would you like to convert your EMS to a flex fuel ECU?

Well its possible. All you need is a Zeltronix E85 gauge and a trip to the junk yard to get a flex fuel sensor off of a equipped vehicle. I got mine off of a Suburban. THANKS CHEVY!

So far I am LOVING it. The ecu responds great to whatever amount of ethanol is in the tank. I can have 1/4 a tank of ethanol and put in pump gas, and the EMS fuels back the car...or be at half a tank of pump gas, and I decide to throw in some E85 to turn up the boost, its no problem the ECU compensates.

So now you know. It can be done. The conversion is not cheap, but is possible. Hope this opens up some new possibilities to those FI NSX's that daily drive there NSX's or road trip them and need to have the ability to run both fuels to produce BIG NUMBERS.

JR

Talked to Mitch Peterson who was a big part of the designing of the AEM system and now has his own tuning shop and tuns my car...

Here is what he had to say.

Jim
Yep, it can be done on the fuel side of things but there is no way to adjust the ignition timing on the AEM for the different fuels, which typically varies greatly between CA91 and E85. It's something AEM is looking at putting in for a software update for the Series 2 boxes, but not for the Series 1's.
Mitch.

Interesting.....

I run both E-85 and 91 octane.
But I have a switch to change from one to the other.

Talked to Mitch Peterson who was a big part of the designing of the AEM system and now has his own tuning shop and tuns my car...

Here is what he had to say.

Jim
Yep, it can be done on the fuel side of things but there is no way to adjust the ignition timing on the AEM for the different fuels, which typically varies greatly between CA91 and E85. It's something AEM is looking at putting in for a software update for the Series 2 boxes, but not for the Series 1's.
Mitch.

I am sorry to say....your friend Mitch is wrong. Tell mitch the secret is having the nitrous map trigger at a certain amount of ethanol. Is it perfect. No, but the timing table totally advances once I am running 60% ethanol or greater.

Just FYI. Don't want to offend mitch or anything.

JR

Will pass it on to Mitch.
We used a Nitrous overlay on my 91 map for E-85.
Not automatic though, I have to flip a switch.

I am sorry to say....your friend Mitch is wrong. Tell Mitch the secret is having the nitrous map trigger at a certain amount of ethanol. Is it perfect. No, but the timing table totally advances once I am running 60% ethanol or greater.

Just FYI. Don't want to offend mitch or anything.

JR

Last edited:
JR,
Passed it on to Mitch and here is what he responded with...

"Yep, that kinda works but it only flips over timing between 91 and e85 at a 60% ratio (or whatever ratio you want) rather than being an ignition adjustment/trim based directly off alcohol percentage. An ignition switch over point of 90% more E85 would be a better value.

At the switchover point, where you are running 60% e85, the timing would be set for 100% E85, which may be too much timing. Conversely, if the timing would be set for 60% E85, you may not have optimum power because the timing would be set for 60% where you are actually running 100%.

Make sense?

The AEM software does not have a function that allows a gradual timing adjustment based off alcohol content, yet."

JR,
Passed it on to Mitch and here is what he responded with...

"Yep, that kinda works but it only flips over timing between 91 and e85 at a 60% ratio (or whatever ratio you want) rather than being an ignition adjustment/trim based directly off alcohol percentage. An ignition switch over point of 90% more E85 would be a better value.

At the switchover point, where you are running 60% e85, the timing would be set for 100% E85, which may be too much timing. Conversely, if the timing would be set for 60% E85, you may not have optimum power because the timing would be set for 60% where you are actually running 100%.

Make sense?

The AEM software does not have a function that allows a gradual timing adjustment based off alcohol content, yet."

It does make sense but Mitch and you are just a little off. I don't have it switch at 60% ethanol for my 100% ethanol tuned timing curve....that would be just stupid.

What I did is I tuned the cars timing on pump gas, and at 60% ethanol using the nitrous map. If I run more ethanol than E-60....so lets say E-85, and ran 85%, well its still only going to run the E-60 timing curve, but hey....those extra 4-5 degrees of timing is A HECK OF A LOT BETTER than running the same timing curve that my 91 pump runs........

and in your original response you said that you couldn't have the ECU adjust the timing....not perfectly, but good enough...sure. On actual E-85 I could probably get another 2 degrees more timing......but NONE OF THE PUMPS IN MY AREA ACTUALLY PUMP E-85.....

2 of the pumps pump E-60, and one does E70.......and the one that pumps E-70 pumps E-90 in the winter.

All of these pumps are marked E-85, but like I always tell people, Out of the 7 gas stations that I have EVER filled up with.....not ONE has actually pumped E-85. That's why having this gauge and letting the ecu do the tuning is the BOMB! :biggrin:

JR

PS. HEY DEVIN, STOP FARTING AROUND AND BUILD THIS INTO THE AEMTUNER SOFTWARE!!!

Last edited:
OK, well...I wish you the best of luck with your venture....

It does make sense but mitch and you are just a little off. I don't have it switch at 60% ethanol for my 100% ethanol tuned timing curve....that would be just stupid.

What I did is a tuned the cars timing on pump gas, and at 60% ethanol. If I run more ethanol than E-60....so lets say E-85, and ran 85%, well its still only going to run the E-60 timing curve, but hey....those extra 4-5 degrees of timing is A HECK OF A LOT BETTER than running the same timing curve that my 91 pump runs........

and in your orriginal response you said that you couldn't have the ECU adjust the timing....not perfectly, but good enough...sure. On actual E-85 I could probably get another 2 degrees more timing......but NONE OF THE PUMPS IN MY AREA ACTUALLY PUMP E-85.....

2 of the pumps pump E-60, and one does E70.......and the one that pumps E-70 pumps E-90 in the winter.

All of these pumps are marked E-85, but like I always tell people, Out of the 7 gas stations that I have EVER filled up with.....not ONE has actually pumped E-85 :biggrin:

JR

OK, well...I wish you the best of luck with your venture....

Thanks Coz. Adventure is over. Maxed out the turbo on the car at 31 psi of boost. What can I say....ethanol is like magic gas. Been running the ECU this way for 3 months now with no problems, perfect starts, and great power.

Good luck to you and your tuner and I hope you guys get everything figured out. Remember the AEM can do WAY more than most people ever take advantage of.

JR

Back