• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY B-Pillar Installation

Hi,

I was searching for DIY before this installation and couldnt really any with pictures, so I decided to make one.

These are I's Impact pillars and I got them through Science of Speed. I got the I's Impact side vents with DF AIS and will be installing them tomorrow.

Note - I skipped the rear panel removal part on this DIY but they ALL need to come out. However, the front end (near the windshield) headliner does not need to be touched !!

B_Pilar_DIY_001.jpg

Pull the door padding from where my hand is. Don't be afraid, just pull up and it will come off w/o breaking anything

B_Pilar_DIY_002.jpg

It'll look like this once the padding is removed

B_Pilar_DIY_003.jpg

Remove the three screws holding the rear side panels.

B_Pilar_DIY_004.jpg

Pull the door molding. You do not have to compeletely remove them. Just pull them out to the top of the door

B_Pilar_DIY_005.jpg

Like that !

B_Pilar_DIY_006.jpg

Unscrew the single screw holding the rear pillar. Once this screw is removed, you need to now use the flat head screw driver to clip off three clips securing the pillar to the body. This is little tricky but REALLY easy

B_Pilar_DIY_007.jpg

if you look closely, you'll see a flat metal piece sticking out. PLace your screw driver on top of it, and push it down. And wala !! they will come out easily !!

B_Pilar_DIY_008.jpg

B_Pilar_DIY_009.jpg

B_Pilar_DIY_010.jpg

Unscrew the single screw securing the rear end headliner to the body

B_Pilar_DIY_011.jpg

Then grab the headliner with two hands (approximately where I am holding it since that's where the clips are located) and pull down. You'll need to put some muscle to it...but not too much. You need to do this because in order for you to get to the upper stud holding the B-pillar, you need some room underneath the headliner. B-pillar is held by two nuts.

B_Pilar_DIY_012.jpg

On the bottom - 8mm deep socket must be used. And for the bottom one, you will need an extention to get to it.

B_Pilar_DIY_013.jpg

one on top..it is hidden underneath the headliner. Notice how I flexed my headliner alittle.

B_Pilar_DIY_014.jpg

Once you unscrew them two nuts, pull it hard. You want to wiggle alittle since they are on their pretty tight. Start from the bottom end, grab and pull towards your body - really hard
B_Pilar_DIY_015.jpg

Once the bottom end gets free, grab the top end. HOWEVER, instead of pulling towards your body, you have to pull diagonally towards the hatch because of the way the top end of the pillar is mounted. You'll know what's I'm talking about

B_Pilar_DIY_016.jpg

B_Pilar_DIY_017.jpg

B_Pilar_DIY_018.jpg

Remove the two studs from the OEM pillar

B_Pilar_DIY_019.jpg

Don't forget to put a new weatherstrip - I got mine from Advance auto for $7

B_Pilar_DIY_020.jpg
When you are installing your new B-pillar, install the bottom stud ONLY and mount/align your new b-pillar. You cannot put both studs as it is almost impossible to align it with both studs intact. Once aligned properly, re-install the lower nut from inside.

Now, take the other stud, and install it from inside. You'll need a buddy/gf/wife (pref someone with small hand) to help here since one person need to push the b-pillar against the body while the other person trys to find the hole/thread it from inside.

Re-install your panels and you are done !! This is reallllly EASY !!

I hope this helps !

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong ? I can't see any pictures (all I see is X) I loaded all the pictures to My Photos in Gallery and then copy/paste..am I missing something ????

Hi,

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong ? I can't see any pictures (all I see is X) I loaded all the pictures to My Photos in Gallery and then copy/paste..am I missing something ????

you have 2 options:

- if you copy to your post what is below the photo in the "linked thumbnail" box you will post a small image that when clicked will open in a new window or new tab, the big picture in your gallery. It will show like this:

- if you copy to your post what is in the "Medium image" box you will post the image, in it's medium size, directly in your post. It will show like this:

B_Pilar_DIY_001.jpg

:wink:

EDIT: Congrats on your excellent write-up :biggrin:

Last edited:
well I dont think you needed to remove the seats to do this. LOL

but other than that a great write up.

wanna sell your old ones?

and looking at your hands all bloody I thought I was the only one that this happens to.

when they say we put blood and sweat into our cars WE REALLY DO !

nice job how does it look the finished product do you like it?

Great writeup! Threads like these make so much more sense with good pics, and you did a great job with that. Very easy to follow!

Bery nice write up. I was searching for this for a long time. Love it when pictures are included... my pillar looks like some one with long fingernails scratch it all up. The part where u open the door..

Nice write up!

thank you for your beautiful story, good work and nice pictures, I hope your fingers will heal quickly:smile:

Thanks guys !!

I was going to make DIY for the side vents but it was useless since I couldnt get my camera behind the vent where the flower nuts are held LOL

But from my experience, use the PLIER (with short handle) and grab a friend with skinny forearm. I tried using the 22mm box wrench and it was still very difficult because the 22mm wrench is prettttty long. With the use of plier with short handles, my vent was out in less than 5 mins :cool:

well I dont think you needed to remove the seats to do this. LOL

but other than that a great write up.

wanna sell your old ones?

and looking at your hands all bloody I thought I was the only one that this happens to.

when they say we put blood and sweat into our cars WE REALLY DO !

nice job how does it look the finished product do you like it?

You don't have to remove your seats, but I prefer to have some room while working on my car. Plus, only takes about 10 mins to remove them.

Sorry, but I'm keeping all my OEM parts just incase :smile:

The final result looks amazing, especially with the matching CF side vents. Almost like Audi R8 sides ?? well maybe lol

P.S - I got couple of bruises on my wrist from installing the side vents, but the cuts are actually from my boxing training. But there have been many cuts/blood while working on my cars. But I am damn proud of it :biggrin:

Great writeup. Pictures helped. Im in the garage following along with a tablet so i can replace my seatbelts. Thumbs up!

Not a big fan of CF b-pillar upgrade... over the years, it turned yellow and looks 'wavey'. Not good.
Pics don't show much but it DOES look crappy in person :(

photo4_zpscef4a1c6.jpg

photo3-1_zpsf38cff52.jpg

photo2-2_zpse78e90d7.jpg

photo1-4_zpsd52bbb1e.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 248
  • photo4_zpscef4a1c6.jpg
    photo4_zpscef4a1c6.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 251