• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

snap ring range ?

I am looking for a 91 NSX. The "snap ring range" is my question. I'm assuming it refers to the transmission problem on the 91-92 models? If so do you own a NSX that hasen't been "fixed" and has it given you problem? Should I consider a car that hasen't been "fixed"?

Also, Being new here and looking to buy an older model NSX, what's the one thing you would advise me on?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Skyguy.

This is a good place to start:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/buy_sell.htm

Bring the used NSX checklist with you when inspecting the vehicle:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/used_nsx_checklist.htm

Check the technical service bulletins to make sure that all affected issues have been addressed:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/tsblist.htm

Verify that the maintenance schedule (for both mileage AND time related services) have been performed as recommended:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Maintenance/schedule.htm

Finally, bring an objective buddy with you so that emotions won't cloud your judgement. I took a friend who could spot repaints, and found flaws I would have not noticed (look in the door jams and under the hood for signs of overspray).

Good luck!

P.S., I would only consider a car within the snap range if the seller can produce proof that the repair has been done by a qualified dealer/mechanic. Also, have the car inspected by a qualified dealer/mechanic. I was fortunate enough to have Mark Basch (NSX Tech) check mine (for free too--nice guy!).

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 26 September 2002).]

PHOEN$X posts good information. Also...

Originally posted by skyguy:
The "snap ring range" is my question. I'm assuming it refers to the transmission problem on the 91-92 models? If so do you own a NSX that hasen't been "fixed" and has it given you problem? Should I consider a car that hasen't been "fixed"?

The problem started near the end of the '91 model year and continued into '93. It is identifiable by transmission number as noted in the FAQ here. As far as whether to consider such a car, see Mark Basch's advice here.

Originally posted by skyguy:
Being new here and looking to buy an older model NSX, what's the one thing you would advise me on?

Several things. One is really just a more specific version of PHOEN$X's advice about the maintenance schedule. Ask whether the timing belt and water pump have been replaced, and when (you ought to be able to get either a receipt or be told where it was done so the shop can verify it for you). This service is recommended for 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first, and based on time is overdue for any '91-95 NSX, but many have not been done. Similarly, verify that the 30K/60K services have been done (fluids, etc).

Another is to make sure that, on any '91-93, the window regulators have been replaced with the newer style ones or that the "window fix-it thingies" have been installed. This problem is discussed in the FAQ here and there are good photos in this previous topic.

Finally, search nationwide. When you think you've found a car that you're ready to buy, there are knowledgeable NSX owners all over the country who would be happy to check it out in person for you; also, you can have a car checked out by a local dealer (assuming that's not who's selling it). Either way (or both), it could save you a plane ticket (or worse) if it turns out it's not being represented accurately.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 September 2002).]

Phoen$x & Nsxtasy, (Spelling?)

Thank you so much for your help. I will do all of the above and more. I will take my time until I find the "right" NSX for me, no compromise! Also I can fly anywhere for free, (I'm a Southwest Airline Pilot) and this will really come in handy in not limiting my serch for a local car.

once again,

Thanks!

Skyguy

Back