• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

my diy splitter

attempt #1. Shine Type 1 lip and alumilite splitter/undertray. Didn't make it too big, because I didn't want to use rods and also wanted to see how bad I'm going to scrape on my driveway.
Thinking about trimming it back to the edge of the Shine lip. The alumilte came in a 8'x4' sheet so I have enough to make a second one. The hex bolts are just temp. going to replace them with round head.

Attachments

• IMAG0530.jpg
    IMAG0530.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 779
  • IMAG0531.jpg
    IMAG0531.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 725
  • IMAG0532.jpg
    IMAG0532.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 875
  • IMAG0533.jpg
    IMAG0533.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 750
  • IMAG0534.jpg
    IMAG0534.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,924
Last edited:
yep. Delivered to the door on an UPS 18 wheeler. I bought the 1/4" 4x8, the shipping is huge ($100) because it's over-sized and they ship it on a pallet - 220 lbs for one sheet. :eek: So if you can get a group buy in your area....

Looks good except that corregated edge. Around $100 for a 4X8 sheet (not counting shipping), can withstand winds over 120mph, won't warp or absorb water. But will it take any kind of a scrape like ABS or carbon fiber does (how easy does it dent/bend)? Just askin -

Last edited:
How have you mounted it to the car?

If you've fixed it to the bumper without extra re-inforcing you may find it dragging badly under brakes on the track. It should be mounted or braced solidly to the chassis to gain the full benefit of the downforce generated.

1/4 inch is 6.35mm by the way.

Was it $100 shipped, or was just the shipping $100 :confused:

Also, was the pallet AND the 4' x 8' sheet 220lbs?

Your fabrication looks pretty nice, but I would also suggest extra reinforcement, especially onto the battery/spare braces.

I've never seen or worked with this stuff before, but it sounds interesting.

Thanks,

Dave

Was it $100 shipped, or was just the shipping $100 :confused:

Also, was the pallet AND the 4' x 8' sheet 220lbs?

Your fabrication looks pretty nice, but I would also suggest extra reinforcement, especially onto the battery/spare braces.

I've never seen or worked with this stuff before, but it sounds interesting.

Thanks,

Dave

It was $215 shipped. The 8x4 sheet weighs 22lbs but they put it on a 200 lb pallet so it doesn't dent or bend in shipping. I guess they are use to shipping multiple sheets at a time - they are a wholesaler for sign companies.

It should take scrapes better than CF or ABS as it's aluminum on both sides. And it doesn't bend.... it is very, very rigid and since both sides are Aluminum it should be able to take heat unlike ABS which warps, softens and melts or burns. Oh.... and it comes painted. I got gloss black (both sides). In the pic above I still haven't taken the protective vinyl coating off yet.

BTW: Most of the FXMD car is fabricated with Alumilite.

Last edited:
I always get a kick from reading people venturing into DIY efforts; and this one has some track practicality too :tongue:

So, knowing the forthcoming questions, I might as well ask, how much does it weigh, about 8-9 lbs? :biggrin:

How have you mounted it to the car?

If you've fixed it to the bumper without extra re-inforcing you may find it dragging badly under brakes on the track. It should be mounted or braced solidly to the chassis to gain the full benefit of the downforce generated.

It is secured in the front by brackets to the tie down bracket and in the rear to the battery tray via a bracket. It's not going anywhere. :tongue:

I always get a kick from reading people venturing into DIY efforts; and this one has some track practicality too :tongue:

So, knowing the forthcoming questions, I might as well ask, how much does it weigh, about 8-9 lbs? :biggrin:

Well, the 8x4 weighs 22lbs and this is approximately 6x2 (before being trimmed/shaped). So..... yes.

Last edited:
Nice.

I have Driving Ambition's Carbon Fiber under-tray/splitter.
I made an Aluminum splitter that mounts under the DA under-tray.
This helps protect the Carbon and extend the lip an additional 3 inches.
I bought a sheet of 1/8 in thick Al. 10'x4' large enough to make 2 splitters.
I got a good deal on the AL as I believe I paid $3/lb as it was surplus.

From the images it doesn't appear that you have a vented hood?

I think you will need one.
Without you will overheat.

Later,
Don

What a cheap, hacked-up, half-assed attempt at a splitter. It's almost as redneck as Ryneen's NASCAR style spoiler. :tongue:

JK, awesome job. Looks great and should be quite a positive improvement over just the lip. Please report at your next track day if you can subjectively feel an objective difference.

BTW: Most of the FXMD car is fabricated with Alumilite.
To be fair, its mostly sheet metal. The only alumilite is the splitter (and its a great material for it). I'd put a seam sealer or metal, plastic, or rubber edge on the corregated leading edge.

http://hellafunctional.com/?p=369
FXMD NSX up close and personal
"What really impresses me are the details. In addition to the skilled use of duct-tape and zip ties, the aero work is incredible. The exhaust routing and turbo location couldn’t be better. Even more surprising though is the stuff that hasn’t been changed. Suspension geometry is mostly stock. On a car like this you’d expect custom a-arms and billet uprights. I think they still have the stock bushings in the front suspension arms. Carbon fiber? More like sheet metal and alumalite. I think there’s even some wood on the car."

Where is the wood? :eek: The driver? :tongue:

Jim why don't you just supercharge the thing instead of fiddling with things that make a 5% difference. LOL...

Nice work....

That's going to make you really fast.

What's your safety equipment?

An open-face helmet and a Jesus sticker? :biggrin:

That's pretty awesome. Is there a concern about the radiator air flow being blocked, as someone mentioned? If so, how do you plan to mitigate that? I love these kinds of DIY projects.

well then a yentl sticker:tongue:

Last edited:
LOL... Doc no wonder he has no visor... he thinks his helmet is a Yarmulke...

Last edited:
hopefuly we will see both of you on track at xpo this year:cool:

Shouldn't there be a front rake to the splitter? Otherwise there would be lift??? Particularly in the NSX, under hard acceleration wouldnt squat in the rear cause the front to lift up, further defeating the aero effect of the splitter.?!?!!?!?

DONE!

Found some rubber edging at Pep Boys.... truck door edging.

Took it out for a high speed test drive and it's good to at least 150 mph and I won't see any faster than 130ish on the track. Rock solid.

Track testing this weekend. :biggrin:

attachment.php

Almost forgot.... the Infiniti G37 rubber flaps mounted in front of the tires.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0537.jpg
    IMAG0537.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,092
  • IMAG0544.jpg
    IMAG0544.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,024
Last edited:
Back