• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kip Olson Wreck

After watching it numerous times, I see two possible scenarios. First there is a normal tendency for the car to track out to the left coming down the crest.

The Firebird may have still been drifting to the left - marginally - albeit slowing down a bit seeing Kip's pace but the Camaro being in the "red" zone thought he had an opening and tried to squeeze/force a pass - even then he would have been totally offline for coming turn 10. But then again they are racing.

The other alternative is the Firebird realized that the Camaro was to pass him so he veered to the left - beyond the natural drift of the crest - and tried to block the Camaro. It is not clear from the video if the Firebird's last drift to the left was before contact from the Camaro or because of it.

It would be interesting to hear both drivers' version of what they think happened.

Re: Kip get in here and lay this speculation to rest

Kip told me once, but of course I can't remember if it was a "drift mistake" or a blatant ill timed block. He and Shad know what happened as they've heard from many others and dissected it completely; but they're just too damn busy to get involved with something so long ago.

Kip was going pretty slow, I know that and that's not a good place to be that slow especially if the T-9 corner was not waving a yellow. It may not have been the same dude, but I've had issues with the usual one I see up there. :mad:

I know, I had to watch it dozens of times to be sure myself.

Crappy quality vid :redface:

But the premise still holds, the middle car that gets glanced off was the screen that helped cause the accident. :biggrin:

Hi all, The car has needs some loving but faired really well. It will be 100% and I will be racing again. I have diverted my attentions an work and home for a while but will be back at it soon enough. Thanks for all the support, Kip

Another perspective:
6130614576_2c50cdc9d7.jpg

Survivor's first post-wreck post:
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=14913&st=40

I'm glad Kip and the Randy fellow (who documents a long but fruitful recovery) are OK.

Ohh man, I didn't know this one... sorry to hear about the accident Kip. That looked pretty violent. I'm glad you are okay and the car will be back!! I love your NSX.

IMO you've been representing grassroots NSX racing (and doing well) for the past 5+ years. Hope to see you back for 2012. :)

Hi Guys,
Here are some pictures of the car after the accident. The car is looking much better now but still needs a lot of work. But both Kip and i have been very busy on other projects (Kip building a house and me build a new S2k race car). Hopefully we will have the NSX back up running some time this year. Cheers, Shad

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/910198-scca-stu-build-by-driving-ambition/

Attachments

• DSC06204.jpg
    DSC06204.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC06205.jpg
    DSC06205.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC06206.jpg
    DSC06206.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 346
Re: Where did the time go????

While working on my car yesterday, memories of D.A. greatness 2 + years ago wafted into my fragile egg-shell mind like tule fog. (I have no idea what that means either.) Was it really over 2 years ago we were at Laguna and 7th on the World Challenge grid and ahead of Andy Pilgrim?

Well good thing you guys are still young and will come back.

What a long strange trip it's been. :eek:

Any updates on this? Anyone know if Kip has rebuilt the car? I am assuming the cage had to do some work in this crash.

omg....you've created a circular link vortex.....:biggrin:

Back