• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the difference between these gaskets?

AS the title says, what is the difference?

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="780"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#F4F4F4"><td align="left" height="2" width="8%">009</td> <td align="left" height="2" width="13%">12511-PR7-305 </td> <td height="2" width="30%">GASKET, FR. IGNITION COIL COVER</td> <td align="center" height="2" width="7%">001</td> <td align="center" height="2" width="6%">1991</td> <td align="left" height="2" width="7%">NSX</td> <td align="right" height="2" width="6%">27.17</td> <td align="right" height="2" width="6%">20.3</td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="780"><tbody><tr><td align="left" height="2" width="8%"> 009</td> <td align="left" height="2" width="13%">12511-PR7-A00 </td> <td height="2" width="30%">GASKET, FR. IGNITION COIL COVER</td> <td align="center" height="2" width="7%">001</td> <td align="center" height="2" width="6%">1991</td> <td align="left" height="2" width="7%">NSX</td> <td align="right" height="2" width="6%">26.83</td> <td align="right" height="2" width="6%">20.12</td> <td align="right" height="2" valign="middle" width="20%">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Same goes for the rear:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="780"><tbody><tr><td align="left" height="2" width="8%"> 011</td> <td align="left" height="2" width="13%">12521-PR7-305 </td> <td height="2" width="30%">GASKET, RR. IGNITION COIL COVER</td> <td align="center" height="2" width="7%">001</td> <td align="center" height="2" width="6%">1991</td> <td align="left" height="2" width="7%">NSX</td> <td align="right" height="2" width="6%">27.17</td> <td align="right" height="2" width="6%">20.38</td> <td align="right" height="2" valign="middle" width="20%">
</td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="780"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#F4F4F4"><td align="left" height="2" width="8%">011</td> <td align="left" height="2" width="13%">12521-PR7-A00 </td> <td height="2" width="30%">GASKET, RR. IGNITION COIL COVER</td> <td align="center" height="2" width="7%">001</td> <td align="center" height="2" width="6%">1991</td> <td align="left" height="2" width="7%">NSX</td> <td align="right" height="2" width="6%">25.65</td> <td align="right" height="2" width="6%">19.24</td> <td align="right" height="2" valign="middle" width="20%">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
The picture only shows one gasket per side, not two:
13sl001_e09.png

There is only 1 gasket per side. It goes on the high side of the coil cover closest to the center of the engine. The difference is that 1 is for the front bank and the other is for the rear bank. You will need both. The difference in the part numbers for the same side may be for the different engines (3.0 vs 3.2) or Honda upgraded/changed their part numbers? Call the dealer's parts counter, they'll know.

Last edited:
If you look at the pic, the gasket shown is a flat gasket. This was only used on the first 550 cars of so. After that they changed to a gasket that wraps around the edge of the cover. I have only seen one car with the flat gasket, SN 391. "305" typically indicates a kit, but in this case it is a little odd. Since the newer cars only list the "A00" number that is the non-flat gasket type. What year are you looking for? Do you know the gasket shape you have on your car?

Regards,
LarryB

If you look at the pic, the gasket shown is a flat gasket. This was only used on the first 550 cars of so. After that they changed to a gasket that wraps around the edge of the cover. I have only seen one car with the flat gasket, SN 391. "305" typically indicates a kit, but in this case it is a little odd. Since the newer cars only list the "A00" number that is the non-flat gasket type. What year are you looking for? Do you know the gasket shape you have on your car?

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks Larry! I have a 91 with the wrap-around type gasket which probably is the A00 number, since that is what the newer cars have. I'll go for that one. Is it possible to use two for each side? On on the intake side, and one on the exhaust side?

Hmmm...good info. A friend of mine with a 97 was told recently that he might have a minor leak intake gasket. Is this gonna be a labor heavy job. My 03 just showed an OBD 0174 code for which I'm getting the throttle body cleaned and PCV and lines changed. I hope the MAF isn't screwed cause then I'd have to likely replace the throttle body. $1769.00

Thanks Larry! I have a 91 with the wrap-around type gasket which probably is the A00 number, since that is what the newer cars have. I'll go for that one. Is it possible to use two for each side? On on the intake side, and one on the exhaust side?

Not sure there is a way to mount it on the lower side, and not sure there is any benefit to doing it;).

Regards,
LarryB

The gasket has been superseded, there is only one now for the front and rear, which is the flatter version. I prefer the "wrap around" version Larry mentions as it compresses to the valve cover better, but it is no longer available. In addition, the early coil covers have been eliminated, now, only the taller version from is available (which works for all years).

-- Chris

The gasket has been superseded, there is only one now for the front and rear, which is the flatter version. I prefer the "wrap around" version Larry mentions as it compresses to the valve cover better, but it is no longer available. In addition, the early coil covers have been eliminated, now, only the taller version from is available (which works for all years).

-- Chris

I think that is very important information. Thank you Chris. Do you know which one is which numberwise? Larry thinks the A00 is the wrap around if I'm not mistaken, which would leave the 305 for us. Nobody wants water in and around their coils when it rains...

Back