• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Arizona Emissions Test Exemption for Collector Cars

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/tested.html

Exempted Vehicles

Most model year 2007 or newer, except reconstructed, vehicles
Most model year 2009 or newer original equipment alternative fuel vehicles
Model year 1966 and older vehicles
Vehicles designated as "collectible" (requires collectible vehicle insurance, reported to Arizona Motor Vehicle Division by insurer)
Electric powered, golf carts or vehicles with engine displacement of less than 90cc
Motorcycles registered in the Tucson metropolitan area
Apportioned vehicles (licensed in more than one state)
Vehicles leased to a person residing outside the emission control areas
Vehicles transferred between dealers (wholesale)

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html

Collectible Vehicles and Tucson Motorcycles

A 2002 analysis showed that the testing and repair of collectible vehicles in the Phoenix area, and of collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson area, does not provide a significant air quality benefit. Subsequently, in 2005 the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2357 to authorize the exemption of these vehicles. The exemptions required the approval of the U.S. EPA and a request for approval of the exemptions was submitted to the U.S. EPA on Dec. 23, 2005 and supplemented on October 03, 2006. Copies of the submittal are available upon request by calling the Planning Unit at (602) 771-2373. The U.S. EPA's approval became effective on April 30, 2007 (March 30, 2007; 72 FR 15046)

ADEQ and the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division have begun to implement this exemption. Owners of collectible vehicles must contact their insurance carriers to arrange for the required insurance. The carrier will notify MVD electronically, allowing the vehicle to be registered as a collectible vehicle.

So as I was talking with Sam (unagijones) earlier today about exhausts and what not, and I told him my NSX is exempt from emissions because I have collectors car insurance through Grundy. So I promise to get back to him with more info for the emissions exempt law for collector cars. For those of you outside of Phoenix and Tucson and live out in the sticks, you are probably emissions exempt anyway. So if you can get collectors car insurance through companies like Hagerty, Grundy, etc; your car will be emissions exempt. Why would it matter to some of us anyway? Well I run test pipes on my NSX. I don't have to bother changing it out every year to pass emissions. I will probably go turbo in the future. So not having to deal with emissions certainly helps.

For those of you who want to scold me that I'm polluting the Earth. I don't care. Go hug a tree. :biggrin:

So what cars are qualified as "collector cars"? Well according to Grundy, they will consider just about anything.

No Model or Year Limitations
Whether you drive a 1910 Ford or a 2010 Ferrari, in most states we will consider you for our collector vehicle coverage. As long as your vehicle holds collector status and is used for pleasure and hobby use, you may qualify.

They do require you to have a 2nd daily driver, have an enclosed garage for your collector car, etc. I wouldn't doubt if they also look at stuff like your driving record, credit score, etc.

My premium on the NSX is only $450/yr, thats only $38/mth. I was paying 3 times more than this with State Farm. Agreed to value, no deductible, no mileage restrictions, collision & liability, free towing up $250 each incident, etc.

Last edited:
So as I was talking with Sam (unagijones) earlier today about exhausts and what not, and I told him my NSX is exempt from emissions because I have collectors car insurance through Grundy. So I promise to get back to him with more info for the emissions exempt law for collector cars. For those of you outside of Phoenix and Tucson and live out in the sticks, you are probably emissions exempt anyway. So if you can get collectors car insurance through companies like Hagerty, Grundy, etc; your car will be emissions exempt. Why would it matter to some of us anyway? Well I run test pipes on my NSX. I don't have to bother changing it out every year to pass emissions. I will probably go turbo in the future. So not having to deal with emissions certainly helps.

For those of you who want to scold me that I'm polluting the Earth. I don't care. Go hug a tree. :biggrin:

So what cars are qualified as "collector cars"? Well according to Grundy, they will consider just about anything.

No Model or Year Limitations
Whether you drive a 1910 Ford or a 2010 Ferrari, in most states we will consider you for our collector vehicle coverage. As long as your vehicle holds collector status and is used for pleasure and hobby use, you may qualify.

They do require you to have a 2nd daily driver, have an enclosed garage for your collector car, etc. I wouldn't doubt if they also look at stuff like your driving record, credit score, etc.

My premium on the NSX is only $450/yr, $38/mth. I was paying 3 times more than this with State Farm. Agreed to value, no deductible, no mileage restrictions, collision & liability, free towing up $250 each incident, etc.

Thanks Mike for sharing this. I think I may look into this :biggrin:
Would you happen to know if this will work in California DMV as well? I have a C36 AMG in California that has issue passing smog every 2 years. Old car, doesn't worth much, but for sentimental value, I want to keep it around....

Would you happen to know if this will work in California DMV as well? I have a C36 AMG in California that has issue passing smog every 2 years. Old car, doesn't worth much, but for sentimental value, I want to keep it around....

Crap, don't think this works in CA :mad:
Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:
  • Hybrid
  • Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
  • Diesel powered manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
  • Electric
  • Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
  • Motorcycle
  • Trailer
<HR>http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

In Cali, it looks like cars older than 1976 are exempt from emissions. Quick google and nothing else came up for me regarding collector cars being exempt in CA. Maybe some Cali folks can chime in with more info.

You may have to just pay someone extra to get it to pass. Or just find a friend who lives in Florida. :biggrin:

I might switch to Grundy since my renewal is early September.

Quoted at ~$700/year @ 50K declared value with $0 deductible.

Its about $200 cheaper a year than my current insurer and a better plan.

Being able to skip the annual emissions hassle is going to be a nice bonus. The $250 towing is excellent, haven't seen that high of a reimbursement from other insurers. They also had something in there about extra reimbursement if you have a mishap enroute to a club event, etc.

Ever meet anyone that had to make a claim with this company?

I can't remember If my buddy has Hagerdy or Grundy (I want to say Grundy). He put in a claim because of some paint issues after tuning (fire coming out of an exhaust will bubble your paint). They just wrote him a check. No issues what so ever.

Fire. Exhaust. :rolleyes:

Its so choice when your car's exhaust can do double duty as a cigar lighter.

I'm in Arizona and recently obtained classic insurance for my NSX and another vehicle. What is the next step on getting classic car registration? Is it done automatically when the insurance company notifies the MVD or do I need to initiate the process through the MVD website or a visit to the local office?

By the way, if you have State Farm insurance you can check with your agent about getting classic car insurance through them. I compared State Farm's price with Grundy and it was a little cheaper. Car value is $35,000 and annual premium is $416 for $250,000 per person/500,000 per accident liability.

Thanks.

I'm in Arizona and recently obtained classic insurance for my NSX and another vehicle. What is the next step on getting classic car registration? Is it done automatically when the insurance company notifies the MVD or do I need to initiate the process through the MVD website or a visit to the local office?

By the way, if you have State Farm insurance you can check with your agent about getting classic car insurance through them. I compared State Farm's price with Grundy and it was a little cheaper. Car value is $35,000 and annual premium is $416 for $250,000 per person/500,000 per accident liability.

Thanks.
It's done automatically. I haven't had to emission test my NSX since 2007 or 8?? Every registration renewal just shows no emission test required.

Just waiting for October to insure mine :)!

Did you buy an NSX Jonathan??

Last edited:
It's done automatically. I haven't had to emission test my NSX since 2007 or 8?? Every registration renewal just shows no emission test required.

Did you buy an NSX Jonathan??

:) No not yet. I needed it for the twinturbo toy (it's a pain passing emissions). I've considered letting it go to pick up an NSX in the past...:rolleyes:

Haven't seen you guys in a while :(

:) No not yet. I needed it for the twinturbo toy (it's a pain passing emissions). I've considered letting it go to pick up an NSX in the past...:rolleyes:

Haven't seen you guys in a while :(
Yea you need to trade up to an NSX. :biggrin:

Too bad you weren't at the Super Car event - tons of exotics. Hope to see you soon at another event!

Yea you need to trade up to an NSX. :biggrin:

Too bad you weren't at the Super Car event - tons of exotics. Hope to see you soon at another event!

I would but I have a turbo addiction Frank.....and building an NSX takes plenty of disposable income. lol

I was gong to go but I something came up last minute. I keep a very close eye on this section of the forum. I'm sure I'll see you guys soon.

Ok im bumping this thread due to some problems with getting the car registered today.

So two weeks ago I went into get emissions testing done on the car. First it was scary because the guy asked if it was front wheel drive and then asked to see the motor up front. It took him a couple tries because he could not adjust to the car when shifting, even more scary! So end result is I failed and have to retake. I barely failed, which I think its due to my high flow cats. I found this thread this week and was excited to find out all this info on collector car insurance. I ended up calling State Farm to look at my policy. Well come to find out I already have collector car insurance through State Farm.

I took a late lunch and headed to the DMV only to get rejected since I failed emissions. They told me I should have never went to emissions and now I need to pass to get the car registered. This is some really crappy news! Makes no sense at all! They also told me once I get the emissions passed I will no longer need emission test done to the vehicle. I just wanted to let everyone know before you head to the DMV to make sure to never go to emissions station with collector car insurance. All of this could have been prevented if I had a bigger brain:) But seriously I had no clue!

I don't have collectors insurance, am registered in Maricopa, its my primary car, and haven't done emissions with it in 5 years, and currently have tags till 2017.

Not a clue. lol

Sup John! I knew you would be back! Good luck with emissions. Can't wait to see the new ride. :cool:

Whats up dude! Really glad to be back. We will have to meet up soon for sure!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have collectors insurance, am registered in Maricopa, its my primary car, and haven't done emissions with it in 5 years, and currently have tags till 2017.

Not a clue. lol

Ya I have no clue either dude. Your just a lucky SOB:)

I've been considering this for my Camaro with Hagerty. They don't even care how much you drive the car: the more you drive it (daily commuting, for example) the more they charge you. Simple.

FYI yearly bump
So, you're saying that by having ins thru grundy, you're automatically exempt from emissions testing (ie, any and all ins thru grundy is "collectors")? Or do I have to make sure I purchase a specific kind of policy ("collectors") policy thru grundy et al for this to happen?

So, you're saying that by having ins thru grundy, you're automatically exempt from emissions testing (ie, any and all ins thru grundy is "collectors")? Or do I have to make sure I purchase a specific kind of policy ("collectors") policy thru grundy et al for this to happen?

If you decide to go with Grundy, you will automatically be exempt from emissions testing. Grundy only does collector car policies afaik.

Back