• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 2000 NSX with SOS built motor and OBD II twin turbo set up.

Guys,

I've got a fairly lengthy story... and it's late... some of us have to work for a living... so the abridged version will be coming tonight...

2003... first real job, first real paycheck (august 31st 2003)..
September 1st, head over to Acura North Scottsdale, and buy my MY 2000 nsx.

I lasted about 3 months before heading into Basch Accurate Service for a BBSC. a "2 day" install turned into a "4 month" install when the car wouldn't start. Mark eventually blamed Chris at SOS for the gauges they installed, but i STRONGLY suspect it was the temperature issue with the Split Second Box.

Got the car back, and within 2 hours it dies on the freeway. Towed back to BAS, and he did some magic and in a week i got the car back. Suffered through an enormously long and exhausting glitchy SSbox tune where it stalled in traffic, oscillated the RPM if you held the pedal without load (neutral), and wouldn't start if the weather was too cold. I must say, however, the car was way quicker than stock. i think maybe 360 rwhp at this time, 7 psi.

I had the SSbox for maybe 5 years, and eventually Mark tuned out most of the glitchiness... that plus the fix for the cold start that someone engineered solved 98% of my SSbox complaints.

Eventually went to the aftercooler (must have more boost!)... then methanol (more boost!). Then AEM FIC.

That thing was a god send. Tony at UMS tuned it ONCE, and it was as if Honda themselves sold me the car straight from Japan with the BBSC installed. it was THAT good.

Blew the head gasket at 8.5 psi, 380 rwhp. Dropped compression to 9.5 and upped the boost to 9.8. Didn't gain much hp. 385 at the wheels. Went to race cats... picked up 47 rwhp. I shit you not. UMS postulates my cats were very clogged. RWHP up to 440. Woot!

12k miles later, lost ringland #5. I couldn't complain. I had 55,000 BBSC miles, and 8k previous to that with a CTSC.

Enter SOS. They rebuilt my motor with what they call the Stage II. I call it peiserg stage 12 Zeta, but I'll let them call it what they like. Forged internals, lower compression to 9.5, headstuds etc..

originally i was just going to go back with my bbsc and run 14 psi. Only reason i didn't was due to crank damage from too much belt tension.. I worried about it repeating, especially with higher boost and therefore more tension on the belt.

So i sold it to some lucky dude in Poland. And bought the first OBD II SOS twin turbo setup. The fitment looks perfect. Factory like actually. The welds look gorgeous. I could pleasure myself to them if my garage wasn't so damn hot.

The boost starts building VERY early... by 2k rpm i beleive i ALREADY have 5 PSI, and by 4k I'm at full boost, and HOLD that level of boost straight to red line, with ZERO fall off.

The car? Cartoonishly fast. I have two settings now.. 515 rwhp (9psi) and 605 at 15.8 psi on 91 octane.

I also opted for their stand alone AEM system (for OBDII), and AEM serial gauge as well as the aem boost gauge and air fuel wideband. the serial gauge is pretty damn cool. I can easily cycle between IAT, boost, water temps, AFR.. and ANYTHING else the oem computer reads! It is frikkin awesome!

The exhaust is about as loud as stock, but slightly deeper. I opted for the quiet exhaust since my FGT exhaust is just stupid loud.. and attracts more attention than i need. I was told if i used my enduralite exhaust, it would restrict my HP. The SOS exhaust is quite a bit larger diameter, and you would have the choice of loud or quiet. I went with quiet and don't regret it.

What else can I tell you? System is elegant, well thought out, and looks OEM like in quality, fitment, and transparency during driving. The only things that I'd like to see change are unrelated to the hardware. The car takes a little long to start vs. before i had the stand alone. however... and a pretty important note here.... is that it ALWAYS starts! The other thing is the clutch i had to buy for this... i prefer the feel of the SOS sport clutch over the 6 puck version.. but i have mentally prepared myself for the sacrifice of having a car with this much HP.

Just looked at my dyno for first time in the couple months i have been driving (1000 miles or so). Realized i make more rwhp at 3500 than my old stock system did at 8k. Woot.

Attachments

• nsxturbodyno.jpg
    nsxturbodyno.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,454
Last edited:
How did you drop the compression to 9.5:1 on the first engine build? I'm assuming stock or at least cast pistons were installed if the ringlands cracked.

Also for the starting. Just let the fuel pump(s) completely prime before starting. This is an AEM EMS thing and can't be tuned out.

Nice.
Do you have a vbox? Would like to see your 60-130 time?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

......The car? Cartoonishly fast. I have two settings now.. 515 rwhp (9psi) and 605 at 15.8 psi on 91 octane.......

I have problems removing my smile from my face and feeling good about the amount of $$$ I spent on my NSX when the power practically doubled.

579_ee462bf6f7ec744a4b6507d6363035a0_original.jpg

Ok I'm a newbee on NSX's ....:biggrin:
What does BBSC stand for? ( thoughts basic block super charged) ?
Just like BPU for the supra guys is "basic performance upgrades"
sorry newbee question...
BTW congrats on the turbo upgrade... I love turbo power.

Ok I'm a newbee on NSX's ....:biggrin:
What does BBSC stand for? ( thoughts basic block super charged) ?
Just like BPU for the supra guys is "basic performance upgrades"
sorry newbee question...
BTW congrats on the turbo upgrade... I love turbo power.

Basch Boost... made by Mark Basch

Congrats on your new setup.....plus you forgot to mention the spool up sound....addictive:biggrin:

Last edited:
Nice set up. I need a ride.

As an addition, I'd like to comment on the driveability of the car and transparency of the stand alone. Aside from the aforementioned delay in firing (stock, and with the FIC the car takes about 1-2 cranks to fire... now it takes about 6-7), the car drives as stock... no BS here. There is no intermittant issues, the AC and traction control work fine. Hell even the turn signals still act like they are supposed to. If one were to get in the car after it has started, and drive off.... i don't think anyone could tell there was a full stand alone on the car. It's that transparent. That what i like about the hardware and UMS tuning... done right the first time...

I think the tuning session was about 4-5 hours, and ran me in the $500 range.

He previously tuned my FIC (4 hrs), and the car was awesome for 2.5 yrs... never needed retuning, other than when i added more boost.

Regarding E85... yeah we've got it. my nsx is my daily driver. I'm not going to sacrifice that for the added power when its already stupid fast.

oh yeah, what video would you like? Engine bay? 0-140?

Last edited:
As an addition, I'd like to comment on the driveability of the car and transparency of the stand alone. Aside from the aforementioned delay in firing (stock, and with the FIC the car takes about 1-2 cranks to fire... now it takes about 6-7), the car drives as stock... no BS here. There is no intermittant issues, the AC and traction control work fine. Hell even the turn signals still act like they are supposed to. If one were to get in the car after it has started, and drive off.... i don't think anyone could tell there was a full stand alone on the car. It's that transparent. That what i like about the hardware and UMS tuning... done right the first time...

He previously tuned my FIC (4 hrs), and the car was awesome for 2.5 yrs... never needed retuning, other than when i added more boost.

Regarding E85... yeah we've got it. my nsx is my daily driver. I'm not going to sacrifice that for the added power when its already stupid fast.

regarding which video? any video you may have of the car period.:cool:

Excellent glad to hear she is transparent and drives like stock. I know when I did my SOS S/C it was very important to me I did not want to take away from the driveability of the car. Wanted to keep it as stock like as possible my car is also a daily driver, and I've had a few people jump and take her for a spin and all of them can't believe how well it drives for what it is. I was following your post here as I was looking into maybe changing from F/IC to EMS 2 on my '00 and its good to know if I do it would be transparent.

I never had a problem starting mine I usually wait until the ENG light goes out and fuel pump kicks off then crank it over she starts every single time with in 1-2 cranks as well. I still have a couple quarks in the F/IC Chris gave me some suggestions to work through on it still.

Post some pics of your setup and congrats on your new found power!

Ok, regarding how i switch over from one boost mode (9 psi) to another (15.8 psi).

I have a cleverly hidden, very discrete switch. Almost invisible unless you are specifically looking for it. Let's play "where's Waldo" and see who can spot the switch first.

This was a request from me to SOS, and they enthusiastically (to say the least) came through.

Attachments

• 2011-08-23_21-56-36_311.jpg
    2011-08-23_21-56-36_311.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 667
  • 2011-08-23_21-56-25_796.jpg
    2011-08-23_21-56-25_796.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
I can’t even begin to express my hatred toward the smog Nazi’s of California!:mad: I would have this setup in a blink of an eye if I knew the smog police wouldn’t be there to give me hell. Been there done that once and it was not fun…….

Congrats on the build and the new found power..... must be amazing to drive!:smile:

-Steve

Here are two graphs showing before (lowered compression factory 3.2L with BBSC) and after (ScienceofSpeed Stage 2 3.2L with ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System).

The difference between the capability of a centrifugal supercharger and the twin turbochargers is pretty staggering. Although the BBSC has roughly the same peak boost as the twin turbocharger system in "low boost" - the power and torque between the two is significant from the air mass delivered to the engine with the twin turbocharger system.

wheel horsepower & torque - BBSC supercharger vs. ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger
comparison_BBSCvsTT_HPTQ.jpg

boost pressure - BBSC supercharger vs. ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger
comparison_BBSCvsTT_BOOST.jpg

With the smaller twins used in our system, we are able to nearly match the throttle response of even a twin screw supercharger (and sigificantly more power capacity with the collective flow generated by the twins).

wheel horsepower & torque - ScienceofSpeed 2.1L Intercooled Supercharger vs. ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System
comparison_stg2_3.2L_SC_vs_TT-HPTQ.jpg

regards,
-- Chris

Loving the "Kill Mode" Button.... took me a couple mins to find it... it was indeed discrete.

Great thread and I'm +1 on the EPA/SMOG police killing it for us in CA

These Dyno's are extremely impressive. Very nice system. I hope I get to drive one some day.

I guess you can keep the cats with this system too right? Does it hurt the power?

Back