• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 1991 Berlina Black NSX Restoration

...to those who think a buyer will pay a premium for new paint, I don't think so....

Hopefully we buy our cars to drive and enjoy rather than to preserve for the next owner. :smile:

Life's too short to worry about what a potential, yet unknown, future buyer might think. Enjoy the ride.

And I'm still loving this thread. Great motivation for all of us to get some cleaning done on the car. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Great motivation for all of us to get some cleaning done on the car. :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

didos mickey.....I am cleaning/waxing/washing/polishing my wife's car after I'd shown her this thread...." look honey, this is the right way people detail their cars"...her reply.." oh really, can you practice on my car first before you do your?"....arrrrr...I'm owned thx to MOD 5:tongue:

Well, at least its a nice day in paradise:biggrin:

Next, I spent a few hours on the ARK DT-S Exhaust. When I removed it, I knoticed a crack 3/4 of one of the exhaust pipes. I called and spoke with Ted, but he said they dis-continued this exhaust, so I was pretty much SOL.

After putting some elbow grease into it, she looks good as new. Was able to get the stained exhaust tips, to look brand new again. :)
nsxrearfpp2.jpg

Also degreased and cleaned the stock exhaust hangars. Then conditioned them with that detailed/lubricating detailer I use.

before.
nsxrearff1.jpg

after.
nsxrearf91.jpg

I installed the Exhaust, and also brand new High-Flo Cats.

That exhaust looks brand new again :eek:. What did you use/do to get it to look like that? I picked up a used exhaust that needs some cleaning and would love to make it look like that.

Hopefully we buy our cars to drive and enjoy rather than to preserve for the next owner. :smile:

Life's too short to worry about what a potential, yet unknown, future buyer might think. Enjoy the ride.

And I'm still loving this thread. Great motivation for all of us to get some cleaning done on the car. :biggrin:

Exactly. Anything hobby related, I do for the enjoyment. No different then the guy that collects stamps, or buys top dollar golf clubs. Just a bigger scale. I never understood why some people always tie dollar value over there enjoyment of being in this hobby. Not to say, it isn't "cool" to watch the market for pride n joys.... but its definitely not the first thing on my list. My words as well, "life is too short" and there are much better ways of investing your money, then sit on a car for many years, a long with maintenance, registration, insurance etc....

Great motivation for all of us to get some cleaning done on the car. :biggrin:

didos mickey.....I am cleaning/waxing/washing/polishing my wife's car after I'd shown her this thread...." look honey, this is the right way people detail their cars"...her reply.." oh really, can you practice on my car first before you do your?"....arrrrr...I'm owned thx to MOD 5:tongue:

Well, at least its a nice day in paradise:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

lol, sorry buddy! You know you're welcome to come down to my neck of woods, and we can do it at my shop. :)

That exhaust looks brand new again :eek:. What did you use/do to get it to look like that? I picked up a used exhaust that needs some cleaning and would love to make it look like that.

It's several different processes I do. There is some labor in involved, but well worth it, when it is done..

If you're in So Cal, feel free to bring it out to my shop, and i'll help you do it!

amazing! You must be OCD! :D

When it comes to my cars, yes! When it comes to having to the "honey do" list, no. lol. Hopefully my wife doesn't check this forum... :biggrin:

Great restoration, it will be better than new.

NICE :eek:

Thanks, and hopefully I can accomplish those exact words and bring this NSX back to its glory days...

Ok, I have some progress pics to post. :)

While the interior pieces were out, I gave them a nice good cleaning. They were filthy.

A-Pillar Interior Pieces, where the Seatbelts go through.

Before.
nsxint1.jpg

After.
nsxsidepanesl.jpg

Next, I ditched the 91 stock Side Duct vents, and made some custom 02 Style grilles. I found a steel wholesale place nearby, and was able to use the mesh in the valance as a reference. Luckily, I was able to find a spot on match, to the OEM 02 Mesh. These grilles are over 400 a piece from the dealer! So I saved big time... :)

Stock 91 inserts, picture reference. (picture taken, before paint and bodywork)
nsxpm7.jpg

02 Style Mesh Side Duct Inserts, I fabricated and powdercoated.
nsxvw1.jpg

Cleaned behind the side ducts, one last time, before installing.
nsxvn1.jpg

Installed. New OEM Clips, and factory hardware all torqued down. :)
nsxvn2.jpg

Got another package in.

A mint condition climate control. Installed it, and my new shift boot and shift knob setup. :)

I love the UPS man. :)
nsxccpack.jpg

Mint OEM Climate Control.
nsxoemcc.jpg

NSX-R Shift Boot and new Honda Shift Knob and Lock nut.
nsxv3.jpg

nsxv2.jpg

Installed.
nsxv1.jpg

Brand new OEM Door sill carpet trim. The old ones were scuffed and worn.
nsxv4.jpg

Cleaned and detailed the dead pedal and gas pedal stopper.
nsxvt1.jpg

Colorsanded the Rear Wing (9 different stages, finishing it off with 3500 grit), then 3 stages of Buffing. Now it matches the rest of the car. :)

Colorsanded.
nsxwingcolor.jpg

Re-installed the 3rd brake light in the factory location, after I polished it.
nsxmm1.jpg

Still waiting on one more screw cover, from Acura. Also prepped the 02 trunk lip spoiler, for install.
nsxmmm2.jpg

Done product, after 3 stages of buffing and a coat of Victoria Concourse German Wax sealer applied.
nsxwingpolished2.jpg

Here is a direct flash shot, to show you there is not a single swirl mark or any orange peel (like the factory paint)
nsxwingpolished.jpg

Another one, of the rear trunk, before I installed the wing(s)
nsxtrunkster.jpg

nsxreflect.jpg

02+ OEM Trunk Lip Spoiler, installed.
nsxmmm3.jpg

Boy this is looking good! Is your car a 5 or 6 spd (noticed the shift pattern)?

Fabricated an OEM Style Harness, for my JDM NSX Sidemarkers. Also, wired them up, as they were from the factory. Just as flashers, and not running lights.

nsxsidmarkers.jpg

nsxiu32.jpg

Installed ALL 6 Brand New OEM Honda Fender Liners, and Fan Guards, with brand new OEM Honda New Clips.
kj1.jpg

jjn12.jpg

I refinished the stock Antenna outer pieces, and re-installed the factory antenna.
jjn1.jpg

Colorsanded and Buffed the Freshly painted Door trim corners. The ones right located, behind the door mirrors.
nnsd1.jpg

Put some time into the assembly of the front bumper. I replaced all of the weather seals, with fresh new OEM ones. Also, made sure to align it exactly to oem specs.

Freshly painted Berlina Black 02+ OEM Bumper. Made sure to mask off the factory "blackout" areas on the bumper.
nsxbump3.jpg

All the Factory "black-out" areas, were properly masked off.
nsxbump4.jpg

Installed all of the Front Lip OEM Hardware and Clips.
nsxbump1.jpg

Brand new 02+ OEM Front Lip and Hardware, upper weather stripping, and alluminum frame.
nsxbump2.jpg

nsxboltq.jpg

New Front Lip and Hardware, all installed and aligned to oem specs.
nsxbum1.jpg

All new Headlight, bumper to hood, and bumper to Fender weather seals. All new OEM Honda stuff.
nsxbum5copy.jpg

nsxbum3.jpg

nsxbum2.jpg

Front Bumper, completely assembled and aligned. Installed new tow hook covers. Just need to install the new front 02+ emblem, and will do so once the front bumper is color sanded and buffed. :)
nsxbump555.jpg

Last edited:
Please tell me you have 02 side skirts to complete the conversion :) And why not do the red Honda H instead of the Acura A on this one? The big one looks great IMO

of cousre he does !! (judging from the meticulous restoration utilizing only and all original oem parts)

Please tell me you have 02 side skirts to complete the conversion :) And why not do the red Honda H instead of the Acura A on this one? The big one looks great IMO

lol this is probably my fav nsx build post of all time.

AMAZING.

Put some time into the assembly of the front bumper. I replaced all of the weather seals, with fresh new OEM ones. Also, made sure to align it exactly to oem specs.

Freshly painted Berlina Black 02+ OEM Bumper. Made sure to mask off the factory "blackout" areas on the bumper.
nsxbump3.jpg

All the Factory "black-out" areas, were properly masked off.
nsxbump4.jpg

Installed all of the Front Lip OEM Hardware and Clips.
nsxbump1.jpg

Brand new 02+ OEM Front Lip and Hardware, upper weather stripping, and alluminum frame.
nsxbump2.jpg

nsxboltq.jpg

New Front Lip and Hardware, all installed and aligned to oem specs.
nsxbum1.jpg

All new Headlight, bumper to hood, and bumper to Fender weather seals. All new OEM Honda stuff.
nsxbum5copy.jpg

nsxbum3.jpg

nsxbum2.jpg

Front Bumper, completely assembled and aligned. Installed new tow hook covers. Just need to install the new front 02+ emblem, and will do so once the front bumper is color sanded and buffed. :)
nsxbump555.jpg

really i say it looks kinda naked without a emblem.

Back