• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 1991 Berlina Black NSX Restoration

PLEASE INSERT: "Simply the best" by Tina Turner.

That song is playing in my head as I read through this thread.......

Good lord, what an amazing, detailed, maticulous job your doing.... :eek:

I am very impressed with your attention to detail.
This is an amazing thread. Thanks for taking the time to document this, so we can all enjoy it.

I am sure that I am not alone in saying that I would love to be able to do this to my NSX (except the repaint), but I don't have the ability or the money to make it happen.

Thanks again for all your hard work, and keep posting!

Really nice work. Wish you were local.

I recommend getting a hugabuga window regulator kit. You won't regret it.

Please tell me you have 02 side skirts to complete the conversion :) And why not do the red Honda H instead of the Acura A on this one? The big one looks great IMO

Yes, to your first questions. As for the second, I may do it down the line. I already purchased the U.S 02+ center. I have a new U.S Type R Red A, but its smaller, and it did not look uniform to me, on the bumper. So I am going to stick with the stock 02+ Big A for now. :)

of cousre he does !! (judging from the meticulous restoration utilizing only and all original oem parts)

You know my taste! :biggrin:

lol this is probably my fav nsx build post of all time.

AMAZING.

Thanks, I really appreciate the compliments. If anyone has any questions, or needs help with anything. Please do not hesitate to PM me or ask away on this post.

You can SAY that again!:biggrin:

Thanks!

I was about to say you should shave the front emblem. :cool:

I think the frontend looks complete with the emblem. I am not usually one for shaving or doing irreversible things to a car. Except the stock U.S side runnings lights, look completely out of place on the NSX (IMO). Looks like something Honda took off a trailer last minute, to satisfy some U.S regulation with side reflectors. :confused:

really i say it looks kinda naked without a emblem.

2nd that.

amazin build bro.

where is pretiege autobody? anaheim?

They're located in Redlands, Ca. (Inland Empire)

(951) 403-2012

hmmm there is that inland empire thing again,,,,

PLEASE INSERT: "Simply the best" by Tina Turner.

That song is playing in my head as I read through this thread.......

Good lord, what an amazing, detailed, maticulous job your doing.... :eek:

Thanks, again, I appreciate all the compliments. Hopefully you guys will like the final product.

I am mounting new tires, on my 2nd set of wheels for this NSX. Should have some cool static shots for you guys, today.

I am very impressed with your attention to detail.
This is an amazing thread. Thanks for taking the time to document this, so we can all enjoy it.

I am sure that I am not alone in saying that I would love to be able to do this to my NSX (except the repaint), but I don't have the ability or the money to make it happen.

Thanks again for all your hard work, and keep posting!

Thanks for the compliment. Don't be to intimidated, it really doesn't as much as seems. Of course, the 02+ items are little costly, but really the same pricing as the NA1 stuff. But, as far as the weather seals and other maintenance items. They really aren't that pricey, and really make a huge difference (IMO).

Also, I get a nice discount, so it helps out a little. If anyone needs anything from Acura, let me know. I'll get it for you at my discount.

Such a cool thread! Yes! Keep up the good work :biggrin:

Thanks, i'll try!

Really nice work. Wish you were local.

I recommend getting a hugabuga window regulator kit. You won't regret it.

Thanks, and let me know if you ever need any advice or help. Also, I'll look into that window reg. kit. Appreciate the refferal.

Got some more progress pics to post up. :)

Worked real hard on the frontend, with alignment and wiring up the headlights, HID's, and side-markers. Was able to use Prestige Autobody's Electronic Body Panel Gap Measure.

First, installed real quickly, to color sand the bumper (9 different stages), 100% by Hand. Then followed by 3 stages with Prestige Autobodys Mini Buffer. This is a very meticulous process, as you do not want to generate a lot of heat with the buffing, since the bumpers are urethane. This is the reason why most bodyshops, do not color sand the bumpers.

In the end, and when done properly, the results are well worth the process (imo). The bumpers now match the rest of the car, and dont have a swirl or any orange peel.

Front Bumper Color Sanded all by Hand. (9 different stages).
nsxcolorsandfront.jpg

Powdercoated the Brackets made for using the 02+ OEM Headlights.
nsxk1.jpg

Made an OEM style Harness, to function with all of the 02+ lighting. Including the new HID's. Then used a Snap-on Lasor headlight aimer, to adust them correctly. Since the car is lowered, the headlights need to be adjusted according to the ride height.
nsxkkk12.jpg

nsxkkk1.jpg

Aligned the frontend and body gaps perfectly to OEM Specs, using an Electronic Body Panel Gap Measure.

Installed new weather seals for the hood, windshield washer squirters and seals, bumper to fender weather seals, and headlight to hood seals. All OEM Honda stuff. Also, put the OEM mirrors back together with new OEM gaskets. :)

It's finally starting to look like a car again! :biggrin:
nsxfronts.jpg

nsxfrontwhole.jpg

Last edited:
whoa indeed!

I'd love to see this car in person! Dude where is your shop?

I'm just simply amazed at your attention to detail. This by far is the best example of what "attention to detail" means. I'm blown away! :eek:

Just bought new car...must resist...urge...to repaint NSX and do 02 conversion...

biggest nsx related understatement of all time.

effffing AHHHMAZZING!!!!!

on a side note, whats up with these berlina black 91's getting the uber royal treatment (yours and tae's). other colors need to represent a little!

It's finally starting to look like a car again! :biggrin:
nsxfronts.jpg

nsxfrontwhole.jpg

WHOA!!!! ^^^^:eek:

Thanks!

whoa indeed!

I'd love to see this car in person! Dude where is your shop?

I'm just simply amazed at your attention to detail. This by far is the best example of what "attention to detail" means. I'm blown away! :eek:

Thank you! Its located in Redlands, Ca. Come by anytime!

Just bought new car...must resist...urge...to repaint NSX and do 02 conversion...

Let's do it! I am just about done with this one, and ready to take on another one :)

Amazing build. Hope to see it on the streets soon.

Drove it around today, with the new wheels mounted up :cool:

biggest nsx related understatement of all time.

effffing AHHHMAZZING!!!!!

on a side note, whats up with these berlina black 91's getting the uber royal treatment (yours and tae's). other colors need to represent a little!

Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it. :)

Got some new tires mounted up on the 2nd set of wheels, I chose to go with.

18/19" Gold BBS LM's :smile:

Got the car up on the lift today, and installed the 02+ OEM Sideskirts, and door pieces. After I took this shot, my battery said "bye bye", so I will take a few more this weekend - to post up.

Thanks again, everyone!

Color Sanded the OEM Side Skirts, and A-Pillars, all by hand. Same tedeous process, like the bumpers. Used the Electronic Body Gap Measure to install the sideskirts, to get an exact OEM fitment. [/B]

Then I layed a nice coat of Victoria Concourse Wax on the entire car.

Some side shots, to show the paint quality and straightness of the car now...
nsxdone2.jpg

nsxdone3.jpg

She is ready for some cruisin now... :cool:
nsxdone5.jpg

Last edited:
man what a fast and great build:smile:

sickkk

You're like my brother from another mother. I can certainly understand the joy in restoring a car and making it better in all the ways you've done. Outstanding work.

After taking apart so many other cars and then taking apart the NSX. I completely agree - This car was crafted. Just imagine the engineering and coordination effort just to get all those pieces designed to work together so well like that.

Oh, it's also nice to see Nero have a change of heart as this thread progressed! haha

Last edited:
i love this build project..... this guy spares NO EXPENSE!!!! Some of those OEM items he's purchased put together probably amount to more than the NSX itself... wow! .... i love ppl with bottomless wallets!!! Great work!

I've had a mostly change of heart :) I personally would have shaved off the ridiculous factory antenna while doing all this work but sounds like the owner wants it all oem ;) The car is absolutely stunning, but for me there's still the performance aspect to enhance. Could use headers, short gears, non compliance everything, chassis reinforcement, bbk, etc. to go along with its stellar new looks. Sounds like OP has the cash to do it so maybe he can fill us in on the future plans, if any. I probably woulda still bought a newer car to be more cost effective except that this car is a coupe, which maybe worth all the extra trouble. Plus it has a throttle cable so it is primed for some itb action! A huge bummer about the 95+ cars is the drive by wire and obdii for me. Congrats to the owner, it came a long way really fast! Enjoy it! Now give us a ton more photos for wallpaper!! =D

Can you supply part numbers to the front weather strippings and gaskets. I am changing my current to new also. >>Copied from your post above, "Installed new weather seals for the hood, windshield washer squirters and seals, bumper to fender weather seals, and headlight to hood seals. All OEM Honda stuff. Also, put the OEM mirrors back together with new OEM gaskets.

Thanks
Gil

Back