• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Multiple misfire codes

Well fellas, here is some good news, timing checked out fine, plugs, coils, ecu, ecm, & all connectors close to or relating to timing belt replacement all checked out ok...& yes tech has been working on NSX's for over 20years, 1 of only 2 techs i use around here.

Turns out to be the main & one of the most common culprit-> Main relay <-, replaced & car started right up.. running very smooth & no more hiccups..
I just recently replaced this on my '91 but it was surprising to see it went out so early on this '00..
Learn something new all the time with these cars...

Last edited:
Bumping the thread up. I have blinking CEL and TCS light but the car is running fine. Codes P1201, P1202, P1203 and P0300. Hopefully it is something minor.

I'm no expert but I thought a blinking cel is bad....don't drive it till you have it figured out.

I am still battling this gremlin myself - the funny thing is that it is much much worse in cooler weather - I hardly have it when it's hot out.

the easiest way to make it happen is constant 3K RPM in 5th or 6th.

I am still battling this gremlin myself - the funny thing is that it is much much worse in cooler weather - I hardly have it when it's hot out.

the easiest way to make it happen is constant 3K RPM in 5th or 6th.

I assume you did the Plugs, Coils, and Igniter from your previous post. Did you ever replace the MDU?

I had a very slight mis that I could feel under light load cruse conditions in 5th and 6th gear. I would randomly get misfire codes on all cylinders and a random misfire code, I have never had any other lights come on but the CEL, but I have seen the CEL flash after the light missing starts and is present for a while. I replaced the coil packs and put in a fresh set of plugs and my issue is gone at least for now. My car spends most of its miles on the track now a days so I very rarely spend any time at light cruze conditions, it was not until I spent a few days driving it on the street that I even noticed I had an issue. I have not correlated my issue to temperature but it is curious that yours seems to be temp related. Keep us posted if you get this worked out, I am curious to know how you resolved it in case my issue returns.

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

I'm no expert but I thought a blinking cel is bad....don't drive it till you have it figured out.

Blinking CEL means misfire detected.

Dave

I assume you did the Plugs, Coils, and Igniter from your previous post. Did you ever replace the MDU?

I had a very slight mis that I could feel under light load cruse conditions in 5th and 6th gear. I would randomly get misfire codes on all cylinders and a random misfire code, I have never had any other lights come on but the CEL, but I have seen the CEL flash after the light missing starts and is present for a while. I replaced the coil packs and put in a fresh set of plugs and my issue is gone at least for now. My car spends most of its miles on the track now a days so I very rarely spend any time at light cruze conditions, it was not until I spent a few days driving it on the street that I even noticed I had an issue. I have not correlated my issue to temperature but it is curious that yours seems to be temp related. Keep us posted if you get this worked out, I am curious to know how you resolved it in case my issue returns.

Dave

Yes, Dave, my car has a new igniter, plugs and coils, twice in fact.

I then swapped the MDU and then swapped the ECU with ones from a running, driving car with no issues. The problem did not change.

It is important to note that my car never has a misfire - only the codes, it'll start flashing the MIL when the engine is running perfectly smooth.

Yes, Dave, my car has a new igniter, plugs and coils, twice in fact.

I then swapped the MDU and then swapped the ECU with ones from a running, driving car with no issues. The problem did not change.

It is important to note that my car never has a misfire - only the codes, it'll start flashing the MIL when the engine is running perfectly smooth.

Mine definitely had a mis you could feel, but only under light loads, run it hard and it never missed. Mine seems to be solved with the coils and plug change. I am wondering if I should not just change the Igniter as a precaution.

Seeing as how you have swapped in known good parts, without knowing exactly how the MDU detects a mis I would be leaning to a wire issue like Valhalla had. Weird though, Keep us posted.

Dave

I believe the MDU senses the coil impedance to detect misfire, this means that a wire harness issue could very well be the problem, I am going to insect the terminals and measure the resistance of the harness compared to a car without the issue sometime.

You could swap the igniter as it does sound more like an igniter issue if your car has an audible miss.

thanks for that tidbit.:smile:

Back