• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Turn signal sticking

BB

Experienced Member
My turn signal lever recently stopped automatically popping back into the neutral position after making a turn. It behaves this way regardless of left or right turn. Any suggestions as to what might cause this?

It seems as though its a common issue for the early nsx. When I bought mine, it had this problem. Clean it out and its still good to this day, been about 2yrs now.
Try cleaning the contacts first. I also when a little further and pry up on the contact legs a little. This somehow make a better contact? Or its just in my head. Whichever. Nontheless, no more issue for me.

I tried cleaning the contacts, but it made no difference. So I went ahead and ordered a whole new turn signal cancel unit (part # 35285-SL0-A01) for $220 and it solved the problem.

What goes wrong in these units? I took my old one apart and see it's just a small circuit board with 3 or 4 capacitors and a relay. I could not see any obvious cold or cracked solder joints and none of capacitors are leaking or bulging. I am certain the mechanical piece of the unit is ok. If I turn the signal on and then quickly tap the contacts in the correct order (to simulate the wheel turning back) I can hear the relay inside the unit go "click". But apparently it never sends out the proper signal to tell the signal lever to pop back.

Also, this is the 3rd electronics failure I've experience in my 91: Bose amps, climate control board, turn signal cancel unit. Strange that such an otherwise reliable car it would have so many electronics failures. From reading here it would seem my experience is not unique. What other impending electronic failures might be in store for us older car owners?

Last edited:
Im thinking Capacitor plague google it.

but then again, age is a factor cars are not supose to drive for more than
20+ years.

if it has lasted this long I say they built a great car

Twenty year old electronic with Paper Cap's will and do leek over time. I quite sure if you check the service life of these components they would be about 8-10 years, so getting Twenty Years is bonus twice the life span.

Look around your house and see how much electronic equipment you have that is between 15-20 years old that is still working?

Bram

Also, this is the 3rd electronics failure I've experience in my 91: Bose amps, climate control board, turn signal cancel unit. Strange that such an otherwise reliable car it would have so many electronics failures. From reading here it would seem my experience is not unique. What other impending electronic failures might be in store for us older car owners?

To be fair, it is relatively minor for an 21 years old car comparing to BMW, Mercedes or Porsche....

Oh... The OEM radio will probably act up soon.

Back