• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Owner who drives their NSX alot!!

Do you guys have to swap out tires like every year? My last set of rears only lasted 8k miles and that was being conservative. Some guys who daily drive seem to do 20k or so. Must be buring through rubber like nothing. :biggrin:

I daily drive mine so 3 sets so far this year redline from stop to stop

my rear cam plugs are leaking now they only leak when i hit vtec
so been driving it kinda normal for a few weeks now.

I daily drive mine so 3 sets so far this year redline from stop to stop

my rear cam plugs are leaking now they only leak when i hit vtec
so been driving it kinda normal for a few weeks now.

This may sound weird but how do you engage the V-tech?

Do you guys have to swap out tires like every year? My last set of rears only lasted 8k miles and that was being conservative. Some guys who daily drive seem to do 20k or so. Must be buring through rubber like nothing. :biggrin:

When I used to be able to get the OEM tires (Yokohama AO22), I would have to get new rear tires every 3 or 4 months. The fronts would last me almost a year....almost. The price you have to pay to play. :)

I bought tires last november, noticed this weekend that the inners are already bald. :frown:

I've had my car coming up on 7 years as a DD (about 80,000 miles). So far I've bought rear tires every year and fronts every other year.

I don't use the OEM tires though. Not that hardcore.

Last edited:
There is a way to get maximum mileage from tires. You look for the highest treadwear rating on the tires. Anything in the 180 to 300 wear range will not last long. Look for 400 up, but of course you compromise handling a bit due to the slightly harder compound but they will last a bit longer driven conservatively.

There is a way to get maximum mileage from tires. You look for the highest treadwear rating on the tires. Anything in the 180 to 300 wear range will not last long. Look for 400 up, but of course you compromise handling a bit due to the slightly harder compound but they will last a bit longer driven conservatively.

One important note to tread wear numbers...this is NOT a uniform number. In other words, a 240 tread wear rating from a Michelin Pilot Sport is NOT exactly the same as a 240 tread wear rating on a Yokohama S-Drive. It is strictly an arbitrary number that tire manufacturers use to give an IDEA how quickly the tires may wear.

I've had 7 sets of rears and the current Dunlop Direzzas have lasted longest. About 13,000 on the rears I recently replaced.

Didn't see anyone mention yet about directional tires versus the original style directional/corner specific tires. If you go with directional only tires, they can be swapped side for side about every 5000 miles or so and get a lot more use out of the tires. When I ran the OEM rubber, as stated here in a previous post, the inner edges of the tires would go long before the rest of the tire. With directional only tires, you just demount and remount the tires and rotate to opposite sides. This wears the tire back flat again on it's way to wearing the inside edges again. At any rate, this will extend the use of tires. There are comparable tires to the OEM tires on the market that are not corner specific. Hope this helps.

Could use more info such as:
what year car?
running agressive camber, possibly factory rear camber depending on question #1?
Mine is a 95 with factory rear camber. I go through a rear set every 3-4K so I change rears when I have the car up in the air for an oil change.
Then 3 rear sets to every front set.

I'm rolling with Dunlap Direzza DZ101's and the fronts last 40K and rears only 10k. The DZ101's are not the best handing tires but suit my needs. I'm not a hard driver. However, I did cut down on the life of my tires when I participated in the HPDE in Las Vegas last year.

It all depends on how aggressive your toe settings are in the rear and how soft the tire compound is. Also, if your car is lowered, the camber is going to help wear them out...especially on the inside edges. I managed to get 10K miles on S03 Pole Positions with absolutely even wear because my car was at the stock height.

It all depends on how aggressive your toe settings are in the rear and how soft the tire compound is. Also, if your car is lowered, the camber is going to help wear them out...especially on the inside edges. I managed to get 10K miles on S03 Pole Positions with absolutely even wear because my car was at the stock height.
How's the back tire on that Gixxer holding up?:biggrin:

How's the back tire on that Gixxer holding up?:biggrin:

Very well! I have 2300 miles on it with very little "chicken strips"...LOL. :smile:

For those of you that don't know what those are...its the part of the tread at the edge of the tire. For those that don't lean the bike over, you get a flat spot on the tread with a ton of unused tread at the sides.

I daily drive mine and have Falken 452's all the way around. The rears lasted 14k, fronts still have at least half of the tread left. They handle fine even when I drive aggressive on the weekends. I think they are a good all around tire, getting the best of both worlds.

I have a '92 with stock suspension and oem alignment specs. I've used various brands of tires--Yoko's, Fusions, Khumos, and Bridgestones--all for street drivng and i've averaged approx 10k miles per set. In every case, the inner treads were shot, whereas the rest of the treads looked real good.

Very well! I have 2300 miles on it with very little "chicken strips"...LOL. :smile:

For those of you that don't know what those are...its the part of the tread at the edge of the tire. For those that don't lean the bike over, you get a flat spot on the tread with a ton of unused tread at the sides.
To clarify, very little chicken strips means he's having much fun.:wink:

I have General Exclaim UHPs on my '97 (came with the car), 11K miles with no appreciable wear and still fairly grippy. Don't think those are available anymore though, they've been replaced by the GMAX AS03.

Back