• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The road to twin turbo... an NXS fantasy come true...

which would require an engine rebuild with low compression pistons, blue print and balancing and another around $6, out of pocket (but it does sound appealing!) that the cats would actually help the twins spool up faster. It's all about acceleration!

Ok, ok... if it WAS only $6 I'd be there in a shot. However, the 'K' sort of got edited out and it's really $6,000 for the 'Stage 1' engine.

Cool deal! Charlotte will have another twin turbo sibling in Florida! Congrats! Chris and the crew at SoS will do a great job on your NSX.

Ole,

Great news on the Turbo.

One question I had was how will the tuning done in Arizona perform in the humidity of FL?

I always heard that turbos where more sensitive to changing atmosperic preasures.

Did Chris offer any insight or am I just off the mark?

Cant wait to see the car at NSXCapades.

Last edited:
Ole,

Great news on the Turbo.

One question I had was how will the tuning done in Arizona perform in the humidity of FL?

I always heard that turbos where more sensitive to changing atmosperic preasures.

I'd heard it the other way around, Chris, that superchargers were more sensitive due to lean/rich mixtures vis-a-vie running off the exhaust. Haven't asked Chris this challenging question, but I'll suggest that he check in on us here and provide an answer.

Hey, you're coming to NSXCapades? Great, I'm the registrar (and banker). Looking forward to your registration.

Last edited:
SUBSCRIBED, OLE! :smile:

Everyday updates appreciated. !

Very cool! We should be hearing from Wade and Chris at SOS this week as they do the teardown and find out all the bits and pieces that are off-kilter.

As for me, I'm chomping at the bit wanting to be in Tempe watching and giving my much needed advice as to how to improve on what they're already experts at. I'm sure my three degrees in finance pretty much make me the 'Go to guy' on rebuilding motors!

Ok, so they're better off with me here in Sarasota earning the money to pay for the mods. I'm probably better off too. That said, what's new is that I've just posted on the Phoenix, AZ section and will be looking for guys/gals to hook up with on my trip home. If you know anyone in the following cities...

Tempe(Phoenix), Albuquerque, Dallas/Ft. Worth, New Orleans, and Pensacola, those are the stops I'm planning on making on my way home.

Very cool! We should be hearing from Wade and Chris at SOS this week as they do the teardown and find out all the bits and pieces that are off-kilter.

As for me, I'm chomping at the bit wanting to be in Tempe watching and giving my much needed advice as to how to improve on what they're already experts at. I'm sure my three degrees in finance pretty much make me the 'Go to guy' on rebuilding motors!

Ok, so they're better off with me here in Sarasota earning the money to pay for the mods. I'm probably better off too. That said, what's new is that I've just posted on the Phoenix, AZ section and will be looking for guys/gals to hook up with on my trip home. If you know anyone in the following cities...

Tempe(Phoenix), Albuquerque, Dallas/Ft. Worth, New Orleans, and Pensacola, those are the stops I'm planning on making on my way home.

Why Ole, We pretty da*n sure do, in all those municipalities you have mentioned.... COME ON Primers!
Meanwhile, for sure it costs more if you are there watching (at SOS) and/or offering suggestions. :biggrin:
BEST!

First off, thank you Ole for your bid at NSXPO for the auction of a ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System. As many of you know, as part of our sponsorship of NSXPO 2011, the proceeds from the auction of the system were paid to the NSXCA to help offset the cost of the event.

The system Ole is installing on his 1996 is a great package for the factory engine. It uses twin liquid cooled ball bearing GT25R turbochargers which offer great throttle response (quick spool). They will produce around a 160+ horsepower increase on the factory engine. The system uses a liquid-air charge intercooler and includes everything for a bolt-on installation including fuel system. A nice aspect of the system is its ability to retain the factory exhaust lay out - allowing the customer to retain the factory catalytic converters. This is what we're doing with Ole's NSX coupled with the ScienceofSpeed Endura-Lite exhaust.

You can find more information about the system here:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/twin_turbo_system/

The nice thing about the system is it is very scalable, allowing a customer, with just minor changes, to fit the system on a built engine and produces numbers like this.

Work has begun, which entails removal of exhaust components, and the fitment of the twin turbocharger system components. Installation normally takes three days, however, Ole has given us plenty of time to do the work at a comfortable pace. We will be tuning the car on Monday 11/7. Results to follow.

cheers,
-- Chris

Ole,

Great news on the Turbo.

The advantage of the loading dyno we use for the tuning is the ability to isolate each load / RPM point for proper tuning. Should increased air density cause the turbochargers to spool faster and a great load be experienced at an earlier RPM, this will have been tested and tuned for during the tuning process.

cheers,
-- Chris

First off, thank you Ole for your bid at NSXPO for the auction of a ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System. As many of you know, as part of our sponsorship of NSXPO 2011, the proceeds from the auction of the system were paid to the NSXCA to help offset the cost of the event.

The system Ole is installing on his 1996 is a great package for the factory engine. It uses twin liquid cooled ball bearing GT25R turbochargers which offer great throttle response (quick spool). They will produce around a 160+ horsepower increase on the factory engine. The system uses a liquid-air charge intercooler and includes everything for a bolt-on installation including fuel system. A nice aspect of the system is its ability to retain the factory exhaust lay out - allowing the customer to retain the factory catalytic converters. This is what we're doing with Ole's NSX coupled with the ScienceofSpeed Endura-Lite exhaust.

You can find more information about the system here:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/twin_turbo_system/

The nice thing about the system is it is very scalable, allowing a customer, with just minor changes, to fit the system on a built engine and produces numbers like this.

Work has begun, which entails removal of exhaust components, and the fitment of the twin turbocharger system components. Installation normally takes three days, however, Ole has given us plenty of time to do the work at a comfortable pace. We will be tuning the car on Monday 11/7. Results to follow.

cheers,
-- Chris

I can't wait to see this thing! My first SOS turbo experience.. unless you count Gary.

Post some pics of the build please! :)

I just noticed something about my expectations. Somewhere in the back of my head, or in the molecules of my body zinging around like heated gasses in a tight container, I'm thinking that there'll be this major change when I turn on the motor for the first time and it'll just exude POWER! Raw, earth shattering, torquey, come run with me weaklings power. Ooo baby!

Now, that's probably not what's going to happen at all! In reality again, I guess there'll be a difference not so much from the turbo chargers, but from the new exhaust system. That this new power thing won't be there until I unleash the turbos on my first acceleration. So what do I expect there? Will it be like the second 2 barrels of a 780 cfm Holly 4 barrel kicking in on my old 454? Or something different? Will it be press you back in your seat, tire squealing quick? Something to be harnessed and tamed, to be allowed to kick in only on special occassions (like at every red light, on ramp, or gear shift for the first 10,000 miles)? Hmmm, enquiring minds want to know.

I'll for sure be writing about THAT experience when it happens. Until then... it's still a dream.

in all actuality i think your tires or lack there of will become an area of concearn.Most of the guys who get big hp always say after awhile you want more...plus with the wide powerband you could absolutely drive the car and short shift to still toodle around.

Tee hee perhaps if Ole takes a little ride in my nsx he might want to leave his there for some SOS engine building love... Especially since i'm putting some stickier tires on.. I got tired of almost dying over and over again every time i got on the loud pedal.

Tee hee perhaps if Ole takes a little ride in my nsx he might want to leave his there for some SOS engine building love... Especially since i'm putting some stickier tires on.. I got tired of almost dying over and over again every time i got on the loud pedal.

I'm guessing you're liking the twins. You went on to stage 1? C'mon now, I'm taking the baby steps, I know, but one has to start somewhere.

stage 2 build, which is the minimum i could do with my NA2 3.2l motor. I think it is pistons, rings, sleeves and HG/headstuds.

Ok, so I can't believe it's been nearly a week since my last note here... sorry guys.

Today I can feel it getting closer. My flight out to Phoenix is next Tuesday and my route home is in the books. Tuesday I'll be hanging out with up to 4 other NSX owners who have graciously accepted my offer to hang out for lunch and a tour of SOS or have dinner together. The places are still undecided and more may show up. We'll see.

From there I'll travel to Albuquerque to fulfill on a latent desire to drive up the Sandia's and see the starlite sky without the interference of lights, or Florida's heavy humidity. I lived there many, many years ago and remember feeling like I was truly part of the Milky Way while looking up at that scene. Just amazing.

From Albuquerque it's a long day's drive to Dallas/Ft Worth, perhaps dinner with some guys there and then the next day off to New Orleans where a lady friend will join up with me for two days of hanging out and then the ride home. We hope to stop in Pensacola and hang out with Mugen NSX-R for a bit before making the rest of the trip home to Sarasota. It's a long ride from New Orleans and we may just stop in Cedar Key, or Ocala and hang out for an evening at a bed and breakfast.

I'm hoping that the event will be uneventful! And full of wonderful surprises.

Ole, about the newfound power. I've owned my '93 for 6 years. The first 5 I put 11k on the od. I turbo'd 1 year ago and have now put an additional 5k on the car. The turbo will surprise you with the amount of speed you gain and how quickly you get there. Yes it will put you back in your seat and yes it will put a huge smile on your face when you tap the gas. After 1 year 400rwph suits my needs just fine. I'm not feeling the itch....yet.

Make sure you have a high quality radar locator. Enjoy your ride. Take lots of pix. Can't wait to see it in Orlando December. Hope I get a ride.:wink:

btw did you go with FIC or the full stand alone?

Either way, i'd recommend that you do as many start ups as possible before you leave phoenix, in case there are any hidden tuning issues. always nice to work those out while the tuner is still close by.

I'd do one at the crack of dawn the next morning before you leave, when the car is as cold as possible, even parking it outside if you had not planned on it. It would suck to get stuck at a motel somewhere.

btw did you go with FIC or the full stand alone?

Either way, i'd recommend that you do as many start ups as possible before you leave phoenix, in case there are any hidden tuning issues. always nice to work those out while the tuner is still close by.

I'd do one at the crack of dawn the next morning before you leave, when the car is as cold as possible, even parking it outside if you had not planned on it. It would suck to get stuck at a motel somewhere.

Good ideas - I'll get as much time in it as possible before leaving Tempe and can't see parking it indoors much on the trip.

We're staying with the FIC engine management system for the time being. I'm sort of a toes in the water sort of guy at this point. It was much easier to get HP out of my 66 Vette - cams, exhaust, pistons and bigger carb pretty much handled an extra 160 HP out of 7+ liters.

Ole, about the newfound power. I've owned my '93 for 6 years. The first 5 I put 11k on the od. I turbo'd 1 year ago and have now put an additional 5k on the car. The turbo will surprise you with the amount of speed you gain and how quickly you get there. Yes it will put you back in your seat and yes it will put a huge smile on your face when you tap the gas. After 1 year 400rwph suits my needs just fine. I'm not feeling the itch....yet.

Make sure you have a high quality radar locator. Enjoy your ride. Take lots of pix. Can't wait to see it in Orlando December. Hope I get a ride.:wink:

You're on for a ride. I'm thinking that mine will feel pretty much the same as yours. We're thinking about holding a 'sound off' at the NSXCapades - listening to different exhaust systems - perhaps static, maybe in a full throttle drive by.

Your gonna have a huge smile in 1 weeks time, the feel and sound is gonna make ya feel like a kid again, looking forward to meeting in a few weeks

We're just a week away from pick up now. Life is good!

Ole,
Can't wait until you pick it up and post. Following this has been akin to you giving birth Can't wait until the reports of the baptism on the road! Will be good to catch up over the holidays if you are around. Best of luck on the drive.

We're just a week away from pick up now. Life is good!

I know exactly how you're feeling right now Ole. It was just about a year ago when I flew out to Tempe to pick up Charlotte after her twin turbo makeover. From there I drove to NSXPO in Vegas and then back home to South Florida. Not a single hiccup the entire way. I'm sure you'll have the same problem free drive home. SoS rocks!

Back