• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The road to twin turbo... an NXS fantasy come true...

I know exactly how you're feeling right now Ole. It was just about a year ago when I flew out to Tempe to pick up Charlotte after her twin turbo makeover. From there I drove to NSXPO in Vegas and then back home to South Florida. Not a single hiccup the entire way. I'm sure you'll have the same problem free drive home. SoS rocks!

I'm soooo glad you wrote this note. My biggest concern was that with the higher performance would come less reliability and I'd have some sort of problem on the way home. Now... well let's just say the concerns have been 'suspended' for the moment.

I'm soooo glad you wrote this note. My biggest concern was that with the higher performance would come less reliability and I'd have some sort of problem on the way home. Now... well let's just say the concerns have been 'suspended' for the moment.

My motor has been as reliable for the past year and 15,000 miles in FI trim as it was for the 12 years prior.

Chris knew of my driving habits and assured me that not only would the twin turbo build be suitable as a daily driver, it would also be suitable for my driving habits. Put another way, if it works for me, it will definitely work for you.

My current plans are to ship the car to SoS next year a couple of weeks before NSXPO in Colorado for a 30K mile servicing. Then of course, drive to XPO then back home to Palm Beach. Charlotte should have well over 300,000 miles on her by then.

Well guys, the tuner's in Las Vegas at SEMA and will be back in Tempe on Monday - Tuesday we should know some HP an torque numbers.

I talked with SOS yesterday and here's the current scoop...

I need a new motor mount and will have one of their own upgraded ones installed. I'm guessing that the appx. 140k miles take their toll and eventually pretty much everything, even on a Honda, needs to be replaced. Another thing Wade found as he opened up my engine which was a total surprise was that two of my butterflies were pretty much disconnected and the screws off into the intake manifold. Just lucky that none of the errant parts made thier way into the cylinders - that would have necessitated an upgrade to Stage 2 rebuild with new cylinder liners, low compression pistons, and way more horsepower than I'm used to. Hmm... doesn't sound so bad when it's written down that way! Maybe I could get Wade to drop something in so the eventual rebuild will happen earlier and the Green Hornet can keep up with Charlotte!

Maybe I could get Wade to drop something in so the eventual rebuild will happen earlier and the Green Hornet can keep up with Charlotte!

The only thing that will enable you to do that would be to drop in a GE F-100 engine out of an F-16. Wade might have one or two lying around! :biggrin:

337.jpg

The only thing that will enable you to do that would be to drop in a GE F-100 engine out of an F-16. Wade might have one or two lying around! :biggrin:

337.jpg

We're currently installing the GE F-100 as you suggested. Our test version is here:

VW_Rear_Open1_PScopy.jpg

Well, the test of the twins is taking shape.

The base is the drive home. 2,231 miles from SoS to my home in Sarasota. Along the way though there are several long stretches the first of which is to Albuquerque a relatively short jaunt of only 7 hours (legal time) and 410 miles. That in itself shouldn't be much of a problem. However the change in altitude and weather should provide quite a challenge.

My plan has been to go to the summit of the Sandias to take a look at the Milky Way - something I did lo these many years ago when I lived in Albuquerque before demolishing my '64 Pan/Shovel on my way up on a gorgeous spring day after.... Oh, I digress. That story another day should you still want to hear my pontifications. Nonetheless the difference in altitude - 0 to 10,000 ft and weather - it'll be freezing the Friday morning when I get up, should give the car a bit of a test.

The second day is the ride to Dallas. 651 miles and nearly 11 hours by Google maps. I'm thinking that I should average a bit more than 60 mph on rather empty highways. It'll be a short night there but a hook up with local NSX'rs is in the plans and I'll be thrilled to swap lies with anyone who shows up.

Saturday I head out to the big easy - New Orleans - where I'll be staying for a couple of days. Have a B&B reserved and everything! What better place to take a day off from a long ride and recuperate.

Monday is the ride through Pensacola and lunch with a couple more owners and then either on to SRQ or perhaps a stop in either Cedar Key or Ocala for another night out of town and great meal.

Then I'm home... but that's not the end of the test. Wei-Shen has just invited me to join him and his Audi R-8 GT at Daytona for a test run on the 24 hour track. Now there's a test! I'm thinking new tires and a really good check on the brakes is in order!

The numbers... and more!!!

My letter from Chris at SoS (with very minor editiing):

hi Ole --

Just an e-mail to let you know that we completed the dyno testing of your car today. It produced 411 hp & 325 lb/ft of torque at the wheels at only 7.6 PSI. In comparison, your NSX before this work produces around 225 whp at the wheels on our dyno. The results were great, especially considering the low pressure. It produces peak pressure at only 3500 RPM, making the torque onset relatively smooth for a turbo car - what we are able to achieve with the twin turbo configuration.

As a shocking note, I am VERY glad that we decided to remove and tear down your intake manifold when Jeff saw some oil build up. We found two of your butterfly valves which is a part of the factory VVIS system to have completely come undone. The valves and the screws were just sitting at the bottom of the intake manifold suspended in the oil junk that builds up with miles (see photos). If that had come loose, there would have definitely been catastrophic damage. Your intake manifold appears to be factory sealed. We have seen this only once before, and wrote it off as a fluke. However, with your car being all original, this is a sign that with time, the vibration cause the screws to back out despite the method the factory uses to prevent this from happening. This is definitely something that people with higher mile cars like yours need to pay attention to.

We've put 40 test miles on the car, and plan on putting another 40 or so on before you pick up.

Please see some photos attached.

I hope you're happy with the results, it is exactly "on the money" of what we expected.

take care,

-- Chris

Attachments

• SORENSON-HPTQ.jpg
    SORENSON-HPTQ.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 93
  • BUTTERFLY1_1024.jpg
    BUTTERFLY1_1024.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 107
  • BUTTERFLY2_1024.jpg
    BUTTERFLY2_1024.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 98
Awesome numbers on so little boost!

...saw your car on the rack last week when I was at SOS...

congrats on the build.... you are so gonna love the drive home!

cheers,
--bruce

Awesome numbers on so little boost!

...saw your car on the rack last week when I was at SOS...

congrats on the build.... you are so gonna love the drive home!

cheers,
--bruce

I am SOOOOO looking forward to that first ride!!

Well guys, I picked her up yesterday. Got in around 9:30 and caught a cab straight to SoS where Jeff was installing new hoses I'd requested the day before. When he was done Chris took me for a quick ride before topping off the fluids. Just sitting in the passenger seat, I knew it was a different car. (Weird that ... sitting in the passenger sear. I'm so not used to it and it seems like there's a loooooong way before one sees even the end of the windshield from the right hand side. Weird)

And then, it was my turn. Ok, so I'm hesitant and babying the car a bit on the outset and didn't really get into it until the next day (today) but I can tell you this, it put a smile on my face that still hasn't come off. So, I'll skip to this morning and fill in the blanks later.

I woke up Florida time where I'm normally up at 6:30 but in Tempe that 4:30 an ungodly hour, but I knew I wasn't going back to sleep so I showered, did all the normal stuff and headed down to 'the beast'. Started her up and aimed my Garmin to Albuquerque.

Now, normally I'm not too easy on a car, even when cold. But Chris told me to let her warm up before putting her through her paces. So I did. Not such an easy thing in winter time in Tempe where the temp was down to 40 so it took a few miles before I could do anything with the new found powerband. The really cool thing was that route 260 has some stop ligjhts on it - yup, I was actually thrilled to get stopped. That meant I could ACCELERATE again!!! and that's where the fun is! OMG, this car is now crazy fast. It's a completely different car. And the speed is just amazing. Where I used to put the car into 3rd and accelerate around someone doing 70 on a two laner and sort of look for an opening, now I don't need an opening. Drop it into 3rd tap the gas and it's at 100. POOF. Like THAT.

The car feels like a cheetah. All sinuey muscle that's just waiting for a reason to spring into full bore speed. Hang on sweetie... we don't need to run full out just yet. I tried to keep it around 80 - 85 today as I don't know the areas and where to watch out for smokies, but the hornet just couldn't be contained. There were short bursts to 100. Then 120. Then 120 again. And the pattern sort of repeated itself not going over that 120 mark even though there was WAY more than enough power to jam the 170 mark (I've had the car to 155 with room to go with the non-boosted version)

And the gas mileage hasn't changed an iota! Now there's a surprise. If anything I'm getting slightly better mileage on the open road. Let's see, at $3.50/gal and 15,000 miles a year it'll pay for itself in ... oh around 30 years! But it's now 'Earth friendly'!

I'll write more this weekend. Today was Albuquerque, tomorrow Dallas. New Orleans Saturday and Sunday.

must be great to fall in love all over again.:wink:

Congrats Ole! We feel your excitement. I suspect Florida is never going to be the same. +1 on drive safely.

Give a heads up when your in Memphis. I will be up there this weekend in my car and would love to see the car and sos work. Drive safe!!!

Glad to hear it went as hoped. Been waiting to get the road report. Sounds like it will be a memorable trip home. I still remember my drive from Ohio to Florida when I picked mine up - so much excitement! I hated stopping for anything.

Good luck and stay safe, Ole. Can't wait to see you in Florida.

OK guys, so the car is a beast now and everyone should have some boost added to the power plant. I can't believe how different it feels to be sitting behind someone at 70mph waiting for an opportunity to pass and, when it comes, shift into 3rd and by the time I'm past them, rather than the car at 90, it's at 110 and climbing. Woo HOO!!!

On another note, I'm stuck (as much as anyone can be stuck) in New Orleans and have to drive back to Shreveport today to pick my baby up again. What, you say? Pick her up? Yup. I was behind and to the left of an 18 wheeler just outside of the Texas/Louisiana border Saturday morning when the trailer blew a tire. I didn't feel anything pop my car but after I stopped at the nearest gas station to fill up something strange happened. I'd washed the windshield and was just onto I-20 when some water sprayed up on the right hand side of the windshield. Thinking it was just a touch of leftover from the washing I'd done I turned on the windshield wipers and ... it smeared!!!

Smearing isn't good! Nope, that's not just water guys, it's got something in it. Stopped immediately at the Louisiana Welcome station and got out to find a pinhole leak had been created in my radiator. DAMN!!

Triple A took an hour and a half and the tow was another 20 min to Orr Acura in Shreveport where a skeleton crew was in and it took another 2 hours before the 'mechanic' said"'well we can't fix it here. We'll have to pull the radiator and send it out Monday." So here I am in New Orleans waiting for the service department to open up so I can get an update on the baby. Arghhh.

OK guys, so the car is a beast now and everyone should have some boost added to the power plant. I can't believe how different it feels to be sitting behind someone at 70mph waiting for an opportunity to pass and, when it comes, shift into 3rd and by the time I'm past them, rather than the car at 90, it's at 110 and climbing. Woo HOO!!!

On another note, I'm stuck (as much as anyone can be stuck) in New Orleans and have to drive back to Shreveport today to pick my baby up again. What, you say? Pick her up? Yup. I was behind and to the left of an 18 wheeler just outside of the Texas/Louisiana border Saturday morning when the trailer blew a tire. I didn't feel anything pop my car but after I stopped at the nearest gas station to fill up something strange happened. I'd washed the windshield and was just onto I-20 when some water sprayed up on the right hand side of the windshield. Thinking it was just a touch of leftover from the washing I'd done I turned on the windshield wipers and ... it smeared!!!

Smearing isn't good! Nope, that's not just water guys, it's got something in it. Stopped immediately at the Louisiana Welcome station and got out to find a pinhole leak had been created in my radiator. DAMN!!

Triple A took an hour and a half and the tow was another 20 min to Orr Acura in Shreveport where a skeleton crew was in and it took another 2 hours before the 'mechanic' said"'well we can't fix it here. We'll have to pull the radiator and send it out Monday." So here I am in New Orleans waiting for the service department to open up so I can get an update on the baby. Arghhh.

Wow, that is terrible Ole! I bought our TL from Orr Acura!

Hope you can get back on the road asap.

Wow, that is terrible Ole! I bought our TL from Orr Acura!

Hope you can get back on the road asap.

Still waiting on them to call me to get the lowdown on repair estimates. I thought about going back and just dabbing some JB Weld on it as a piecemeal. It should work the thousand miles to Sarasota!

well you could be stuck in some worse places,have some creole,bourbon,and listen to some cool jazz ....by the time you sober up the car will be ready:biggrin:

Yea, do some eatin' (love the food down there!) and hope they get you back in the driver's seat today.

Back