• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The road to twin turbo... an NXS fantasy come true...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Now is a good time to consider upgrading considering the age of your radiator and your plans to track the car.

This unit is less expensive than the factory unit, and we (try) to keep them in stock:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Koyo/radiator/

-- Chris

Well said, Chris and I may just have to look into your suggestion... however, it turns out it wasn't the radiator at all. It was my brand new SoS intercooler! Hey, what sort of guarantee do I get on that anyway?

Commanders Palace is one of the TOP restaurants in the US.

I highly recommend it. You can just take the streetcar there. Make sure you have a drink in the bar before you eat.

http://www.commanderspalace.com/

Aw man!!! I wish I'd had my computer on while in New Orleans and could have seen your email.

Did eat at Muriel's and the Palace. Both a bit pricey but excellent food.

OK, guys, so I'll be adding to the thread tomorrow. Lots to talk about ... and LOVE the new feel of POWER!!!

Well said, Chris and I may just have to look into your suggestion... however, it turns out it wasn't the radiator at all. It was my brand new SoS intercooler! Hey, what sort of guarantee do I get on that anyway?

Road debris killed the heat exchanger? Make sure to verify the fluid level before driving hard. We have replacements available, just give us a ring.

-- Chris

It was my brand new SoS intercooler!

post-jbweld.jpg

Yeah, I thought about that. Rushed off to New Orleans though rather than doing the shadetree thingy. Would have saved me a night at the B&B and dinner cash wise.

OK, so it's not 'tomorrow', it's sorta the day after the day after, or something like that. Anyway here goes...

If you're thinking about boosting your car, all I can say is 'go for it!' It's a learning experience going from 270 to almost 500 hp (411 RWHP).

I may be a bit redundant here but just deal with it, we're big guys now aren't we?

So, the power curve is just amazing. Popping to max boost at 3200 rpm I've learned how to 'smooth' the car through the transition and then nail the acceleration in first and second. If I just stomp on it off the line first gear lasts a nanosecond before hitting redline and second is only marginally longer.

That said, the difference in acceleration is just breathtaking. Going from 70 to 90 passing on an interstate just doesn't happen. In fact, I don't see 90 at all before I shift out of 3rd I'm banging 110 and go 'Oh shit! Better slow down before I head into smokies.' It's that quick. Oh, and it doesn't slow down as quickly either. I'm pretty sure that has something to do with the sport clutch from SoS but I could be just fantasing there.

One thing I notice is the drop in the front end when I get off the accelerator. The car just jumps. I'm thinking that it's time to look into beefing up the suspension (I'm thinking that after 140k mi it's probably time anyway.)

No problem on reliability and that's with starts below freezing and over 10,000 ft of altitude. No heating up, either in the cabin or in the trunk (boot for you Limeys). AC runs perhaps even better. Mileage on the road is about 10% better than before - now running 24 mpg. I'm pretty sure that in town will not be so good but that that won't be the twins fault.

The new SoS sport clutch is a dream. The only 'grabbiness' I feel is more on disengaging rather than enagement and even that is minimal.

Ok so lets talk sounds... before I get into the endurolite exhaust, there's the engine sounds. The blow off valves are just a hoot! Vrrripppp... vrrrippp, and when they make that sound you know you're in the power range. Woo Hoo!!!!

Oh, yeah the exhaust... I'm absolutely loving the endurolite exhaust that Chris at SoS suggested. Makes the car sound like it's an exotic just humming around Sarasota. I particularly love the sound at about 30 in second going down main street. That and no perceptible sound at all when cruising at 70 (yes, there were times I was cruising at 70 - well (he says sheepishly) that wasn't really the speed limit then, but still it was 70, and the same goes for 80mph.

Interesting that when I'm getting on it I hear the blow offs and engine more than the exhaust. However the exhaust notes around town are just a joy.

So, kudos to Chris, Jeff, and Brian at SoS. I'm thrilled so far with the twins and all I can say is if you're interested in having your car be an amazing performer you'll want to give them a shout out.

Thanks also to the guys in Tempe for hooking up with me for dinner, and to Chris for buying. To Eric in Dallas for driving an hour to hook up with me at Hooters there, and to Rob who couldn't hook up in Pensacola but gave it a good shot before he departs on his deployment to Afghanistan.

If you're in New Orleans I can recommend Muriel's for dinner, and in Appalachicola, Papa Joes has some fabulous oysters - I loved the ones baked with parmesan cheese and spinach in particular. The Gibson house there was excellent.

All in all it was a great trip. If I were to do it over again I'd take a week and a half or two weeks rather than the 6 days with an extra stay over due to the intercooler mishap. The car drove well and was comfortable the whole way.

I'm open, guys, to comments and/or questions. Bring it on!!! And thanks for reading me.

Ole

Last edited:
If your suspension is original..time for an upgrade.Hopefuly your brakes are well maintained.

If your suspension is original..time for an upgrade.Hopefuly your brakes are well maintained.

Yeah, I'm sure it's time for the suspension. While my brakes are well maintained, it's also time to look into upgrading there too. Any suggestions guys?

if you are mostly street with some track sprinkled in and since you already have a relationship with sos I would get the kw v3 and look at his new stoptech trophy setup.

Well, I'm finding that my 'in town' mileage is less than it used to be. Quite honestly I'm not too surprised since I'm either enjoying the acceleration, or am hanging out in 2nd or 3rd wwwayyy more than I used to just listening to that wonderful exhaust that SoS installed. It's a small price to pay for the pleasure.

Well, I'm finding that my 'in town' mileage is less than it used to be. Quite honestly I'm not too surprised since I'm either enjoying the acceleration, or am hanging out in 2nd or 3rd wwwayyy more than I used to just listening to that wonderful exhaust that SoS installed. It's a small price to pay for the pleasure.

Yeah i know how that goes. I've had guys tell me they get 22-24 mpg in their FGT... I routinely get 13-15, and I attribute to my lead foot, and the totally awesome sounding exhaust.

My NSX gets better...maybe 16.5 mpg, but again... that damned blow off valve forces me to floor it in almost every gear to hear the psssshhh... I'm guessing i could squeak 22mpg out of it...

I'm amazed your front mount got damaged so quickly. Although mine was a custom job, it's pretty exposed and hasn't leaked in about 40,000 miles... actually my BBSC aftercooler sprung a leak after maybe 30k miles and had to be rewelded...but the front mount has been sound..

Last edited:
Yeah i know how that goes. I've had guys tell me they get 22-24 mpg in their FGT... I routinely get 13-15, and I attribute to my lead foot, and the totally awesome sounding exhaust.

My NSX gets better...maybe 16.5 mpg, but again... that damned blow off valve forces me to floor it in almost every gear to hear the psssshhh... I'm guessing i could squeak 22mpg out of it...

I'm amazed your front mount got damaged so quickly. Although mine was a custom job, it's pretty exposed and hasn't leaked in about 40,000 miles... actually my BBSC aftercooler sprung a leak after maybe 30k miles and had to be rewelded...but the front mount has been sound..

so what determines which car you will use that day?Both have similar performance in the stoplight GP:wink:

Gotta love the blow-off valve noise! Vvvvvrrrippppppp, just gets your juices flowing. I'm thinking that the lack of mileage will just have me work a little bit harder and my boss will appreciate that.

Yeah, I've got 140k on my car and no punctures on the original radiator! 1 day and a pinhole on the new intercooler... just another brick....

Hey, you gotta love that we're over 2500 views on this thread!!! THANKS for reading guys!

What is it? Mine is 15-16 MPG.

I'm a touch above that, but have only had one tank of 'in town' driving. Will get back with you on that.

so what determines which car you will use that day?Both have similar performance in the stoplight GP:wink:
Actually, my NSX is about as fast as my FGT... in low boost mode... when I push the NSX kill mode button, the nsx will walk the FGT no problem.

There are some esoteric things that determine what i drive.. parking availability, angle of entrance into the hospital garage, etc..

you are a brave man taking those cars to the hospital blender...I mean parkade:eek:

I have wanted a turbo NSX for a while now as a weekender...

Any of you guys run them in the 1/4 mile to get a trap speed?

I think I would be happy with anything over 120.

I was behind you flabuf at the toys for tots charity event this past weekend in my GT-R.

Your car looked good. VERY little smoke. It must be tuned well.

I have wanted a turbo NSX for a while now as a weekender...

Any of you guys run them in the 1/4 mile to get a trap speed?

I think I would be happy with anything over 120.

I was behind you flabuf at the toys for tots charity event this past weekend in my GT-R.

Your car looked good. VERY little smoke. It must be tuned well.

What do you mean 'VERY little smoke'? It was just tuned and shouldn't have ANY smoke!

The Tot's run was a ton of fun and I remember you behind me. You snuck in between me and the Ford GT's ... they weren't happy about your pass. Me, no big deal. Loved seeing all the great vehicles... and you guys with the sedans didn't muck up the line too much. I'm thinking they ought to have a height requirement like at Disney only something like this... over 44" is too tall for the run.

Haven't quartered the new turbos but am interested in a run to see what it'd do. Maybe I'll give it a shot or two after I get back from Argentina early January. It feels about as quick as my old '66 Vette with 550 HP but WAY more refined.

Last edited:
What do you mean 'VERY little smoke'? It was just tuned and shouldn't have ANY smoke!

The Tot's run was a ton of fun and I remember you behind me. You snuck in between me and the Ford GT's ... they weren't happy about your pass. Me, no big deal. Loved seeing all the great vehicles... and you guys with the sedans didn't muck up the line too much. I'm thinking they ought to have a height requirement like at Disney only something like this... over 44" is too tall for the run.

Haven't quartered the new turbos but am interested in a run to see what it'd do. Maybe I'll give it a shot or two after I get back from Argentina early January. It feels about as quick as my old '66 Vette with 550 HP but WAY more refined.

Anything without cats will smoke on hard acceleration.

You must be thinking of the two other GT-R's. I never passed anyone the whole time.

The GT-R is a coupe BTW. ;)

Anything without cats will smoke on hard acceleration.

You must be thinking of the two other GT-R's. I never passed anyone the whole time.

The GT-R is a coupe BTW. ;)

My bad... What was I thinking when I wrote sedan... 6 lashes with a Ramen noodle

On the other hand, I still have cats on my car. Chris suggested leaving then on as the backpressure actually has the turbos spool up faster on an unbuilt motor.

OK guys... I'm writing this up for NSX Driver, any comments?

I'm trying to remember exactly who I had dinner with and met on my trip back from Tempe. Call, write, or just telepath me and I'll put you in!

Back